Old 01-19-2017, 10:38 AM   #1
Twangothan
Human being with feelings

Default Change tempo of one section of track

I wand to change the tempo of the middle 8 of a song I'm working on. The track is 111 bpm and the middle 8 needs to be more like 118. I've tried the tempo envelope, and also time/tempo markers, but the tracks al go crazy and are out of sync with each other. I've set the project setting Timebase to Time rather than Beats, but it makes no difference. I've tried splitting the relevant section and added markers... I think I basically just don't understand how it works.....any guidance gratefully received!

NB I have midi and audio tracks...

PS I love how you can tweak tempo to get the tempo right...which is what led me to want to be even more precise about tempo...

Thanks

Last edited by Twangothan; 01-19-2017 at 10:56 AM.
Twangothan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:41 PM   #2
Outboarder

Hi

My guessing:

Try to split items at the beginning and end of the region that you want to tempo change.
Then insert tempo markers.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:57 PM   #3
dea-man

Default I guess I should address this......

This is one of my pet peeves with Reaper.

The way "adding a change of tempo, after starting recording", used to mess things up so badly, I simply shied away from trying to do so, in Reaper.

I eventually learned to build songs with tempo changes installed (tempo mapped out beforehand) before I started to record. It takes a little extra thought and effort, but all is well after that.

However, it would be great (and my understanding is that "other programs/DAWS" do this just fine) if one could adjust tempo in Reaper, "on the fly".

It's been so long since I tried to adjust "on the fly", that I am actually not sure if things have changed. Maybe it's possible now, and I just don't know about it.

I am sure someone will chime in and set the reality of things, concerning this point, straight.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:19 PM   #4
vanhaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twangothan View Post
I wand to change the tempo of the middle 8 of a song I'm working on. The track is 111 bpm and the middle 8 needs to be more like 118. I've tried the tempo envelope, and also time/tempo markers, but the tracks al go crazy and are out of sync with each other. I've set the project setting Timebase to Time rather than Beats, but it makes no difference. I've tried splitting the relevant section and added markers... I think I basically just don't understand how it works.....any guidance gratefully received!

NB I have midi and audio tracks...

PS I love how you can tweak tempo to get the tempo right...which is what led me to want to be even more precise about tempo...

Thanks
- After the split you made, where you want to be the tempo change, you MUST first set all following items on tracks to timebase "Beat (position,length,rate)"
Then, on the split point, create the Tempo marker with value 118.
All items on all tracks after that Tempo Marker should now align to the 118 BPM Grid..

- Create a new Tempo marker at the point where you wanna go back to 111 BPM.
- All items on all tracks after that Tempo Marker should now align to the 111BPM Grid..
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 04:30 AM   #5
Mark Jones

If you place the tempo marker at the end of the bar, you shouldn't have any problem. Otherwise, check the "Allow a partial measure before this marker" option and try to avoid, if possible, the Gradual transition.
Mark Jones is offline   Reply With Quote