Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 10-26-2014, 04:28 PM   #1
amoretam
Human being with feelings

Default missing PT features, wondering if possible

Hi there..
Couple of simple questions, and please tell me it is possible or if there is some workarounds:

How do i copy multiple envelopes (same track) at the same time and paste somewhere else using time selection?

How Do I do the same edit to multiple envelopes at the same time,? Do I really need to do it one by one?

How can I create the same fade-out across multiple selected items in same track? (wondering why grouping items does not work for this)..

How can I Select or Solo my returns (tracks) receives??
When you want to go to a track's send destination, you just have to right click and select that option and it will scroll automatically.
I need something like PT, there is an option that says: select tracks that are using this bus or something.. (hope i am clear)

Thanks a lot
amoretam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 04:53 PM   #2
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoretam View Post
How Do I do the same edit to multiple envelopes at the same time,? Do I really need to do it one by one?
Not possible for edits afaik. Possible for deletes and things but not for envelope edits, at least not directly, maybe with a script or something.

Quote:
How can I Select or Solo my returns (tracks) receives??
Not possible afaik. There's no solo bus.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 05:15 PM   #3
amoretam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Not possible for edits afaik. Possible for deletes and things but not for envelope edits, at least not directly, maybe with a script or something.

Not possible afaik. There's no solo bus.
wow,..
Old 10-26-2014, 05:39 PM   #4
BenK-msx

sws: select tracks with active routing to selected track(s)

is as close as i could find, as was purely curious! does the trick combined with solo selected tracks.

Last edited by BenK-msx; 10-26-2014 at 05:59 PM.
BenK-msx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 06:14 PM   #5
airon

Just the stuff Lawrence didn't cover.

Quote:
You can change the SAME envelope across multiple tracks by using MIDI-learned knobs, if you learned it to the same parameter and have those other tracks selected.

That track selection is like a temporary group. For this reason I do the MIDI-learning on one template track(check the envelope box when you save it) and duplicate that, and then move the material on to those tracks before mixing. That way I can EQ or move my denoiser parameters around for the selected tracks.

Quote:
How can I create the same fade-out across multiple selected items in same track? (wondering why grouping items does not work for this)..
CTRL+ALT+click and drag on the fade handle of one of the items. If that combo doesn't work, just check the "Left drag" part of the "Media item fade/autocrossfade" context in the Preferences / Mouse Modifiers. You can set it there.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 06:41 AM   #6
Lawrence

Quote:
wow,..
Not that unusual really, the solo bus thing, most consumer level products made the same mistake. Not just a "Reaper" thing at all.

More a "developer who designed a workstation didn't really stop and think (or previously really know) how real consoles work" thing. PT only does it better because it's users kinda demanded those things because, for the most part, that's where they came from, consoles.

Some people say things like AFL/PFL are archaic and unnecessary, others say using those things with a dedicated bus is a really fundamental part of how real consoles actually work.

It's - relatively speaking, compared to something like Reaper's multiple streams per track - a really small architectural bit that lots of modern daw developers missed. They instead just mute everything else to emulate solo.

It took Cubase quite a few years to figure that one out also... after people griped about it.

P.S. And yes, I know I can be wordy...

As someone who's observed the evolution of professional audio workstations from the very beginning, there is this clear reluctance, almost across the board, for developers to just outright admit design mistakes and just re-design. More often than not they try to fill gaps instead of just fundamentally changing a design part. Not sure why that is but very few developers seem to do it.

Seems a better path is... "Hey, this design bit was flawed, this new version is a new design of that part and not 100% compatible with older projects. This may cause some short term discomfort, we get that, but it's better for everyone in the long run.

Instead they just kinda patch in stuff.

Last edited by Lawrence; 10-27-2014 at 07:27 AM.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:40 AM   #7
amoretam

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
Just the stuff Lawrence didn't cover.

You can change the SAME envelope across multiple tracks by using MIDI-learned knobs, if you learned it to the same parameter and have those other tracks selected.

That track selection is like a temporary group. For this reason I do the MIDI-learning on one template track(check the envelope box when you save it) and duplicate that, and then move the material on to those tracks before mixing. That way I can EQ or move my denoiser parameters around for the selected tracks.

CTRL+ALT+click and drag on the fade handle of one of the items. If that combo doesn't work, just check the "Left drag" part of the "Media item fade/autocrossfade" context in the Preferences / Mouse Modifiers. You can set it there.
that was awesome!!
Old 10-27-2014, 10:05 AM   #8
amoretam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post
sws: select tracks with active routing to selected track(s)

is as close as i could find, as was purely curious! does the trick combined with solo selected tracks.
This is awesome too! And perfect
Old 10-27-2014, 10:29 AM   #9
serr

Reaper is curiously missing a few features for editing and adjusting multiple envelopes simultaneously. I guess they just left it to DIY.

You can assign MIDI controllers as mentioned to adjust parameters in real time but this doesn't address adjusting multiple envelopes in a group.

I meant to finish a couple other features and post this in the stash but...
Anyway, this is my script/action combo for adjusting the volume envelope for all selected tracks. It will adjust the envelope points in the current time selection for the currently selected tracks. Relative levels between the different tracks in the selection are preserved.

1. Install SWS extensions.
1a. Check the box for 'Enable Rescript/Python' in Preferences/Plug-ins/ReaScript
2. Make these 2 Python scripts:

adj_all_selected_tracks_env_up
Code:
trackcount = RPR_CountSelectedTracks(0)	

for trackindex in range(trackcount): # loop through selected tracks
		TRACK = RPR_GetSelectedTrack(0, trackindex)
		RPR_Main_OnCommand(RPR_NamedCommandLookup("_SWS_SAVESEL"), 0) # save selected tracks _SWS_SAVESEL
		RPR_Main_OnCommand(40769, 0) # unselect everything
		RPR_SetTrackSelected(TRACK, 1) # select current track
		RPR_Main_OnCommand(RPR_NamedCommandLookup("_SWS_SETLTT"), 0) # make it last touched _SWS_SETLTT
		RPR_Main_OnCommand(41866, 0) # select last touched track volume envelope
		RPR_Main_OnCommand(40330, 0) # Select envelope points in time selection
		RPR_Main_OnCommand(RPR_NamedCommandLookup("_FNG_ENVUP"), 0) # sws move selected points up _FNG_ENVUP
		RPR_Main_OnCommand(RPR_NamedCommandLookup("_SWS_RESTORESEL"), 0) # restore selected tracks _SWS_RESTORESEL
adj_all_selected_tracks_env_down
Code:

RPR_Main_OnCommand(RPR_NamedCommandLookup("_SWS_SAVESEL"), 0) # save selected tracks _SWS_SAVESEL
		RPR_Main_OnCommand(RPR_NamedCommandLookup("_SWS_SETLTT"), 0) # make it last touched _SWS_SETLTT
		RPR_Main_OnCommand(RPR_NamedCommandLookup("_FNG_ENVDOWN"), 0) # sws move selected points down _FNG_ENVDOWN
		RPR_Main_OnCommand(RPR_NamedCommandLookup("_SWS_RESTORESEL"), 0) # restore selected tracks _SWS_RESTORESEL
3. Make this custom action

Scroll volume envelopes of selected tracks
Code:
Action: Skip next action if CC parameter >0/mid
Custom: adj_all_selected_tracks_env_down.py
Action: Skip next action if CC parameter <0/mid
Custom: adj_all_selected_tracks_env_up.py
4. Assign the custom action to your mouse wheel

This should get you started. You can probably make the rest of the envelope features you need working from this.

Last edited by serr; 10-27-2014 at 10:41 AM.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:39 AM   #10
amoretam

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Reaper is curiously missing a few features for editing and adjusting multiple envelopes simultaneously. I guess they just left it to DIY.

You can assign MIDI controllers as mentioned to adjust parameters in real time but this doesn't address adjusting multiple envelopes in a group.

I meant to finish a couple other features and post this in the stash but...
Anyway, this is my script/action combo for adjusting the volume envelope for all selected tracks. It will adjust the envelope points in the current time selection for the selected tracks.

1. Install SWS extensions.
1a. Check the box for 'Enable Rescript/Python' in Preferences/Plug-ins/ReaScript
2. Make these 2 Python scripts:

adj_all_selected_tracks_env_up
Code:

RPR_Main_OnCommand(RPR_NamedCommandLookup("_FNG_ENVUP"), 0) # sws move selected points up _FNG_ENVUP
adj_all_selected_tracks_env_down
Code:

RPR_Main_OnCommand(RPR_NamedCommandLookup("_FNG_ENVDOWN"), 0) # sws move selected points down _FNG_ENVDOWN
3. Make this custom action

Scroll volume envelopes of selected tracks
Code:
Action: Skip next action if CC parameter >0/mid
Custom: adj_all_selected_tracks_env_down.py
Action: Skip next action if CC parameter <0/mid
Custom: adj_all_selected_tracks_env_up.py
4. Assign the custom action to your mouse wheel

This should get you started. You can probably make the rest of the envelope features you need working from this.
this seems too complicated...

thanks
Old 10-27-2014, 10:43 AM   #11
serr

Quote:
this seems too complicated...

thanks
By all means optimize/simplify it if you are interested!

I just looped through the selected tracks. Seemed like the thing to do...
Old 10-27-2014, 10:47 AM   #12
amoretam

Quote:
By all means optimize/simplify it if you are interested!
I did not even understand that! ...
I will read it slowly later.
In the meantime, would you please explain how to copy multiple envelope points (same track and within time selection) and then paste it somewhere else?
Thanks a lot
Old 10-27-2014, 11:08 AM   #13
serr

Quote:
I did not even understand that! ...
I will read it slowly later.
In the meantime, would you please explain how to copy multiple envelope points (same track and within time selection) and then paste it somewhere else?
Thanks a lot
Maybe start with how I looped through the selected tracks' envelopes. Instead of adjusting them up or down, copy them. You'd need to save that, make a destination selection, and then paste.

So...
A copy_multiple_envelope script and a paste_multiple_envelope script

Maybe this will motivate me to finish some of these ideas later on.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:39 AM   #14
Lawrence

IIRC, reading "AskJF" not long ago someone there asked if editing multiple envelopes was on the horizon and I'm pretty sure I saw Justin say something like ... "I hear it's coming."

I interpret that in one of two ways..

1. A maybe humorous way of him saying that he's personally working on it... or..
2. Maybe one of the other developers is assigned to that task and is making progress.

The current design, not being able to edit and modify multiple envelops across tracks, is clearly not optimal and I doubt if they're oblivious to that.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:16 PM   #15
amoretam

Quote:
Maybe start with how I looped through the selected tracks' envelopes. Instead of adjusting them up or down, copy them. You'd need to save that, make a destination selection, and then paste.

So...
A copy_multiple_envelope script and a paste_multiple_envelope script

Maybe this will motivate me to finish some of these ideas later on.
Really man, not possible? Wow again
Old 10-31-2014, 07:55 PM   #16
amoretam

Default some more random questions

Hi there,
I wonder if you are still there,..

I need to know where can I change this behavior: Why when I paste a portion of an item over another then I have the 2 items sounding together?
I don't have free item positioning enabled and I don't have play all takes checked!

Is it possible to arm automation to all my sends on a track simultaneously, I mean in order that they are ready for automation whenever I touch the faders??
DO I really have to automate sends one by one??

thanks that is all by now
Old 10-31-2014, 09:27 PM   #17
grinder

This may be not what you want If so please ignore.
When I wish to have a wave file repeat in sections of a number I am building I do the volume edits (or any other edits) fully making sure I place points before and after the start and end also making sure they are set on grid lines.
If I want the said file put anywhere else the editing goes with it.
If say I need to lower the volume on all of the same named files I activate all the points in each file and I have the points at the start set on the grid lines to pull down or push up to give me measure.
In placing points like this if you have placed same files elsewhere you can also select all the points of the edited file and paste them to the clone files from the same point place the first point was placed in the "master" edited file.

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 11:54 PM   #18
Nip

Quote:
I need to know where can I change this behavior: Why when I paste a portion of an item over another then I have the 2 items sounding together?
I don't have free item positioning enabled and I don't have play all takes checked!
Check your setting in project properties, advanced tab - item mix behavior.

That might inflict how you want items to behave.

There are also pooling options when copy/paste is involved - meaning if the copy edits affect original as well etc.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:12 AM   #19
amoretam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nip View Post
Check your setting in project properties, advanced tab - item mix behavior.

That might inflict how you want items to behave.

There are also pooling options when copy/paste is involved - meaning if the copy edits affect original as well etc.
Pooling options? Where are those? I really need to fix this it is very annoying.. thanks alot
Old 11-01-2014, 08:04 AM   #20
amoretam

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder View Post
This may be not what you want If so please ignore.
When I wish to have a wave file repeat in sections of a number I am building I do the volume edits (or any other edits) fully making sure I place points before and after the start and end also making sure they are set on grid lines.
If I want the said file put anywhere else the editing goes with it.
If say I need to lower the volume on all of the same named files I activate all the points in each file and I have the points at the start set on the grid lines to pull down or push up to give me measure.
In placing points like this if you have placed same files elsewhere you can also select all the points of the edited file and paste them to the clone files from the same point place the first point was placed in the "master" edited file.

Grinder
Yo! what are you talking about? ajajaja