Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 12-13-2012, 08:54 PM   #1
mingustoo
Human being with feelings

Default Crash!-now licence, extensions, pref's all gone**resolved**

I was tried to open a vst that I had previously removed from my vst folder, when reaper crashed on me. When I open it up now, it asks for an authorisation, and all my sws extensions and prefs are gone. Can I get my shortcuts and prefs back?

Last edited by mingustoo; 12-18-2012 at 07:22 AM. Reason: more information
mingustoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:11 AM   #2
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingustoo View Post
I was tried to open a vst that I had previously removed from my vst folder, when reaper crashed on me. When I open it up now, it asks for an authorisation, and all my sws extensions and prefs are gone. Can I get my shortcuts and prefs back?
Are the files 'physically' still there?
If yes, I'd suspect Reaper wrote something invalid to its preference file as a result of getting confused by the operator error (trying to open removed item). Try deleting Reaper's preference file and launching it again. It will launch in default state like when you first installed it. Or copy the preference file from your backup (from before the error happened).

TIL you apparently need to 'unregister' plugins in addition to removing them or they still show up in the list in Reaper. Is that right?
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:53 AM   #3
mingustoo

thanks for the reply....er... where would I find the preference file?
Old 12-14-2012, 11:58 AM   #4
mingustoo

reaper_sws.dylib is still there
Old 12-15-2012, 10:57 PM   #5
mingustoo

tried 4.22 installation and same prob. Went back to 4.30, re-installed sws and they don't show up in Reaper. Anyone know what file I need to delete that is causing this ?
Old 12-16-2012, 08:48 AM   #6
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Quote:
thanks for the reply....er... where would I find the preference file?
What OSX versions are you using? Your REAPER resource folder should be in Users/<your account>/Library/Application Support/REAPER.

Tho what you describe is indicating that the crash also damaged your file system/said resource folder. Try renaming it if you can to start from scratch.

Whenever something strangely doesn't work anymore OSX people recommend repairing disk permissions and checking the system for corrupted plist files.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-10331328-263.html
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:01 PM   #7
mingustoo

I am on OSX 10.4.11
I renamed the Reaper file in 'Application Support' to Reaper1 and reinstalled 4.31. But it still used the same file. I then went to 'Preferences' folder and deleted com.Cockos.Reaper.plist and relaunched Reaper. Same, but it didn't make a new plist.
I have repaired permissions on all discs as well.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:21 AM   #8
mingustoo

deleted all reaper files including plist. Restarted, installed 4.31, installed sws and it's back to normal. Although I have to now go back and re-personalize it.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:43 AM   #9
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Glad you got it working!

Quote:
I am on OSX 10.4.11
Please check (the end of) this thread:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=68281

In short, there is a known issue on OSX Tiger where REAPER points to a wrong resource path under circumstances (crash on plug-in scan) and causes this "doesn't remember settings" symptom itself. Sorry for the inconvenience. It seems to happen very rarely.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:32 AM   #10
serr

OK, so you had to delete some of Reaper's proprietary resource files (.ini files) in addition to the preference file (.plist).

I understand that some of these Reaper resource files are used to store custom actions, scripts, etc. Is there documentation covering what file is used for what?

Did you try restoring any of these files from your backup copy (assuming you had one and it was current and uncorrupted)? I'd like to know if it's possible to just restore 1 or 2 files if this ever comes up.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:13 PM   #11
mingustoo

Ollie,
Thanks a lot for your help. Interesting solution in that link.
Ser,
i am not sure i needed to do what I did, but I thought it was worth a try and....voila!
Old 01-01-2013, 09:44 PM   #12
mingustoo

same thing just happened again trying to open a session. Is this snapshot related?
Old 01-01-2013, 11:48 PM   #13
mrelwood

Quote:
same thing just happened again trying to open a session. Is this snapshot related?
I think it is, as I got one such crash with 4.32pre8. First of it's kind.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:00 AM   #14
mingustoo

Here is what I have done:
-renamed vst folder and opened reaper...reaper opens, but it opens like a new install and I have to reregister my s/n and all my customisations are gone.

-opened reaper and added one vst at a time while scanning after each add. Some of the vst's caused a crash so I reopened and omitted those plugs.

-attempting to open my last mix ( the one it crashed on) gets to the end of the load, then gives me a warning about saving without the sws extensions, for about three seconds, then crashes. The warning also says that my focusrite midnight eq (au) is missing although it is in the folder and I don't think I used it.

-reinstalled sws....doesn't show up in reaper

-deleted plist ...no change.

-aaarghhh!

-ideas?
Old 01-04-2013, 05:28 AM   #15
mingustoo

I can open mixes from before I installed sws, so it is definitely related to that. I was also able to get a mix open once from when I first started using sws and it had nothing done to it. However, that mix only opened once. I have installed Reaper 4.22 with no change.
....anyone?...Beuller?....Beuller?