Old 05-23-2015, 09:06 PM   #1
gv.lazcano
Human being with feelings

Default A rant on DAWs and included content

I remember my first encounter with Reaper a few years ago, around 2009, while in high school, and also I remember the two main impressions I had:

- This thing is rock solid
- But it lacks samples and plugins!

In the following years I went through almost everything DAW in the market. You name it: the free and opensource ones, the LE or SE editions included with some interfaces, some "pro" ones and others focused in the home user, tried both trials and "not exactly trials but also free". And after the Studio One v3 fiasco (at least to me) I returned to Reaper, and it remains as rock solid and content-less as ever. Funny thing, I just took the shot and started my first time looking seriously for some usable samples.

In comes Plogue Sforzando and some guitars I found in forums and blogs, and I was amazed at how this user made content was not only usable after some tweaking (editing the .sfz files to adjust the pitch bend range, some midi humanization), but pretty good, and totally better that the stuff Studio One came with; not only that, but also better than some commercial romplers/samplers with 30+ gigs of stuff and one gazillion patches. Skeptical at what I was hearing, I downloaded some other Cubic DAW Elemental trial and tried its Helium SE edition sampler thing, and yet again I found myself wondering how some freebies could totally nail the sound I was after and this professionally produced software and samples could not. The lesson is: don't let the price tag fool you.

As a total newbie a few years ago I would get easily impressed with the all in one concept that the major players offered, but I think with the time I learnt better :P
gv.lazcano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 09:41 PM   #2
Lawrence

Hey gv, we meet again. Glad to see you here, I too am a Reaper fan. I'm the user from "over there" that tried to help you find a cheaper upgrade path (and failed). Our interaction was very positive and polite. i recognized your user name.

Anyway - I know you didn't get to demo that content so I wanted to clarify - the new content is very very good. It's really kind of a shame it's for a proprietary product sampler because the prices aint bad either. Don't get me wrong, they didn't create it, they apparently sub contracted it from various people or companies, but it's really good quality with key switching and scripting. The lemons in there are minimal.

But yes Reaper is a great product. There are only two products I'd choose to mix in (what I mostly do) Reaper and the other thing.

Make some hits.

Best regards my friend.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 09:54 PM   #3
gv.lazcano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Hey gv, we meet again. Glad to see you here, I too am a Reaper fan. I'm the user from "over there" that tried to help you find a cheaper upgrade path (and failed). Our interaction was very positive and polite. i recognized your user name.

Anyway - I know you didn't get to demo that content so I wanted to clarify - the new content is very very good. It's really kind of a shame it's for a proprietary product sampler because the prices aint bad either. Don't get me wrong, they didn't create it, they apparently sub contracted it from various people or companies, but it's really good quality with key switching and scripting. The lemons in there are minimal.

But yes Reaper is a great product. There are only two products I'd choose to mix in (what I mostly do) Reaper and the other thing.

Make some hits.

Best regards my friend.
Sure, it's mostly what I remember from v2 sounds. I saw some v3 Presence demos and they surely climbed some steps. For the time being I'm keeping my Producer license to see how v3 progresses.

p.s.: Saw some of your post in the forum, I was wondering if it was you
Old 05-24-2015, 12:54 AM   #4
Mink99

Quote:

As a total newbie a few years ago I would get easily impressed with the all in one concept that the major players offered, but I think with the time I learnt better :P
This is one thing i recognised too. The more experienced you are, the longer your history with several daws is, the less you need the "included" instruments and loops and content.

So, consequently the "beginners" or "new entry" editions of a daw should include all this, the "pro" editions not. But that would make the "pro" editions less expensive than the beginners editions.

While from a rational point of view this makes perfect sense, to start something new is more costly than to optimise existing thing, from the marketing perspective this looks catastrophic..
Mink99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 01:03 AM   #5
whiteaxxxe
Banned

I personally refuse to make more changes in what I use than necessary.

I used for 25 years Cubase. and had a quick look to other DAWs, and turned them down before going into details.

the reason is/was, that I knew regardless where you come from, new isnt always better, its mot of the times simply different. so why bother with a new DAW, if I come in the end to the conclusion, that this new DAW lacks of something different? same problem, if it is a problem. so new DAWs dont bother me.

I changed to Reaper, realising the the things around the pure DAW are very different. let alone this forum. and I can set it up the way I like it to have, to act and to react. (well, potentially ... :-))

so, the searching and evaluating and checking out of things is nearly always a waste of time and energy. (VST(i)s dont fall under that rule ... thats LEGO for advanced audio-nerds, these things were invented to steal your time and nerves ... :-))

best advice I ever heard was from Alan Parsons: he was asked what equipment he would prefer. he answered: thats what around!

I dont think that you get much done by switching the DAW every half year ...
whiteaxxxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 06:17 AM   #6
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteaxxxe View Post
best advice I ever heard was from Alan Parsons: he was asked what equipment he would prefer. he answered: thats what around!

I dont think that you get much done by switching the DAW every half year ...
Right. Worst idea ever. I've only - dropped, chose to stop using - a main working daw that I purchased, once, in my life, literally. Anything else I stopped using was because it didn't support the OS I moved to, like Dr. T's KCS or something.

This incessant talk about "switching" is mostly an Internet phenomena based on some fantasy contest. Back in the day people bought something and used it for years and only changed if there was some very clear benefit. Everything I purchased I still use. FL Studio for example. "Switching" talk is for the daw war crowd.

I used Cubase for over 20 years, never "switched" (completely stopped using it) until about 4 years ago. Partly for financial reasons and comfort and a changing client base, certainly not because I got (overall) better features.

Between S1, Reaper, and FLStudio, and Nuendo 5 (demo) for AAF/OMF and some other stuff, I can get done whatever I need to get done. I use them all.

P.S. The occasional mini-drama is because, as a group, many daw users that frequent net forums are just really, really insecure. To test that theory, go to almost any daw product forum and talk about how great Reaper's snapshots and scripting in general is, as an FR or something, and watch some people start talking about why they won't be "switching", as if you asked them to.

Last edited by Lawrence; 05-24-2015 at 06:42 AM.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:07 AM   #7
Irvin

I think a lot of musicians (mostly due to age) just go through a period of "daw exploration" where the music always sounds sweeter on the other side of the fence. Eventually, most people mature and understand that most tools can get the job done if we only invest the time necessary to master the tool.

We all feel curious and want the shiniest and brightest, the latest. That's part of human nature - we just need to curb our enthusiasm...lol...but for some the journey is the thing: they spend their days not making music, but testing hardware/software; they find pleasure in that; some collect plugins, some find purpose in determining what the absolute best software reverb is, some spend their lives trying to recapture the magic of the 60's with their modern-day equipment, etc. I prefer to devote more time to making actual music, but i do not criticize those who focus more on other things: i have done it on occasion in the past, the only difference is I'm older now and know better.

In the end, people should do whatever makes them happy. Specially when it comes to making music.

Fvck it - life is too short...enjoy it, any way you can...that should be the rule
Irvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 07:08 AM   #8
cerendir

Well said, both whiteaxxxe and Lawrence. A DAW is a tool, a means to an end, and all this talk about switching hosts left and right as soon as something new and shiny hits the market makes me think that:

1) Hardly any of the "switchers" make or mix music for a living

2) Hardly any of the switchers are particular enough about workflow and productivity to stay with the host they already have, which in turn means:

3) They could use any host and not be any worse off.

So basically it's all about shiny. About blaming the tools for the quality of the end product. The same reason people keep buying more and more expensive guitars thinking *this* one will help bring my playing to the next level! When it's actually not about that at all.

Now, I don't make or mix music for a living either, but at least I'm serious enough about what I do to realize that if I'm going to switch DAW's every year, I will have to spend more time relearning features and workflow than creating music.

Learn your tools and make the most of them. People have been making great music for hundreds of years before the advent of personal computing ffs. "I need DAW X because of feature Y to make music!" -- no you don't!
Old 05-24-2015, 09:05 AM   #9
HugoRibeiroDotCom

I use DP8 and Reaper.
I use them long enough to know them both pretty well.
The reason I don't choose one of them permanently is because I love them both even though they are very different from one another. So I just use one or the other depending on my mood.

But... I think Reaper is the "Democracy/Freedom of speech" DAW in the whole flock. Its the only DAW that lets you customize it completely!
Ex: Custom themes, hotkeys can be assigned for everything, menus can be completely altered, and the custom actions function is genius. Custom actions can be limitless.

So yeah, Reaper is like democracy in the DAW world. It may take a while to get it to work exactly how you want it but in the end you'll benefit greatly from it!

cheers

PS- If Reaper was $400-$500, many more people would take it more seriously. Its the truth(In my opinion). But its been breaking barriers.
HugoRibeiroDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:09 AM   #10
gv.lazcano

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerendir View Post
Well said, both whiteaxxxe and Lawrence. A DAW is a tool, a means to an end, and all this talk about switching hosts left and right as soon as something new and shiny hits the market makes me think that:

1) Hardly any of the "switchers" make or mix music for a living

2) Hardly any of the switchers are particular enough about workflow and productivity to stay with the host they already have, which in turn means:

3) They could use any host and not be any worse off.

So basically it's all about shiny. About blaming the tools for the quality of the end product. The same reason people keep buying more and more expensive guitars thinking *this* one will help bring my playing to the next level! When it's actually not about that at all.

Now, I don't make or mix music for a living either, but at least I'm serious enough about what I do to realize that if I'm going to switch DAW's every year, I will have to spend more time relearning features and workflow than creating music.

Learn your tools and make the most of them. People have been making great music for hundreds of years before the advent of personal computing ffs. "I need DAW X because of feature Y to make music!" -- no you don't!
Though I understand your point, and particularly agree with the first 3, I don't completely agree with the rest of your post. About tools, this is true in most cases, but in some other, particularly samples, I think an user can really benefit from new software and better content. If not, we all should be satisfied with GM sounds, but that's not the case.

About DAWs, don't misunderstand me, at least in my case I returned to Reaper because of the unaddressed performance issues and other faults that Studio One has.

Point 3 is interesting, at least in my case; as I'm still learning the basics (EQ, compressing, etc) I haven't really settled on a workflow, and I don't really care at this moment either. With DAWs, if it's stable and the UI isn't a complete mess, count me in. Reaper also happens to have the best internal VST bridging, so that's game set and match, at least in my book
Old 05-24-2015, 09:24 AM   #11
cerendir

Quote:
Originally Posted by gv.lazcano View Post
Though I understand your point, and particularly agree with the first 3, I don't completely agree with the rest of your post. About tools, this is true in most cases, but in some other, particularly samples, I think an user can really benefit from new software and better content. If not, we all should be satisfied with GM sounds, but that's not the case.
Quite so. When was the last time your DAW prevented you from using new samples or VSTi's?
Old 05-24-2015, 09:33 AM   #12
gv.lazcano

Quote:
Quite so. When was the last time your DAW prevented you from using new samples or VSTi's?
That part was talking about "tools" in general. My bad, I think I misunderstood you.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:57 AM   #13
whiteaxxxe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoRibeiroDotCom View Post

PS- If Reaper was $400-$500, many more people would take it more seriously. Its the truth(In my opinion). But its been breaking barriers.
yes. I think the same. but they wont raise the price, will they?
Old 05-24-2015, 10:33 AM   #14
Lawrence

Quote:
So basically it's all about shiny.
It is. You see it happen over and over in regular cycles. Here's what will happen ....

Reaper 5 will release and some Reaper users (and potential users) will be really happy to have some of the new features like VCA's and scoring. Those things aren't new, some daws have had them for years, but they're new to people who prefer working in Reaper, so there will be some (fully justifiable) joy or excitement over that from some users.

For some reason beyond my personal understanding, the Internet takes that joy as saying... "Your daw sucks, look what mine just added!" ... and starts telling you why the thing you like that just got better isn't as good as they thing they like, and repeating the clearly obvious, that the things you just got have existed elsewhere to a couple of decades, as if that's relevant to you not having it in Reaper yesterday, and having it today.

It's fun to watch though.

Back on topic to bundled content...

Unless you're making records (a professional full or part time music producer) or making money selling music or have some other logical reason to actually need the best VI's out there, like scoring movies for a living, nobody cares. Really, nobody, except the "keep up with the Jones" net forum crowd.

People, listeners, only care if the music is good or interesting, not if you used Omnisphere.

Anyway, here's an mp3 cover with nothing but Presence bundled content and Addictive Drums. http://theaudiocave.com/mixes/wow.mp3

If someone told me the sounds I use weren't good enough I'd say...

1. "Good enough for who? I'm not a professional music producer." And i'd also say...
2. "Give me a good singer and I'll make something very interesting out of that." And I'd also say...
3. "It's all fake crapola, emulation, mostly anyway, a real band in a good studio with real players and a good audio engineer blows all of it away."

Last edited by Lawrence; 05-24-2015 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:53 AM   #15
HugoRibeiroDotCom

Quote:
Unless you're making records (a professional full or part time music producer) or making money selling music or have some other logical reason to actually need the best VI's out there, like scoring movies for a living, nobody cares. Really, nobody, except the "keep up with the Jones" net forum crowd.

People, listeners, only care if the music is good or interesting, not if you used Omnisphere.
Heck, I do it for a living and don't need any VI's.
And needless to say that DP is also very lacking in the bundled VI department and its used by countless professionals. Many just use their favorite 3rd party VI's/plugins anyway.

cheers
Old 05-24-2015, 10:58 AM   #16
Lawrence

Quote:
Heck, I do it for a living and don't need any VI's.cheers
Oh for sure, but the guys doing hip hop and sample based R&B and EDM and similar for a living often do. Different group.

I mean, I'm sure Dr. Dre has some great virtual and real instruments. His productions sound great.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:03 AM   #17
HugoRibeiroDotCom

Quote:
Oh for sure, but the guys doing hip hop and sample based R&B and EDM and similar for a living often do. Different group.

I mean, I'm sure Dr. Dre has some great virtual and real instruments. His productions sound great.
Oh yeah, of course.
When I need some synth sounds or anything outside my regular field(mainly drum recording), I use Reason rewired. Don't want/need to load my computer with gigs of stuff I don't need.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:12 AM   #18
Lawrence

Quote:
Oh yeah, of course.
When I need some synth sounds or anything outside my regular field(mainly drum recording), I use Reason rewired. Don't want/need to load my computer with gigs of stuff I don't need.
True. That's why it's all optional. I imagine (when it is optional like that) a lot of people who don't need it just ignore it.

It doesn't download by itself. But for those who do need or want it, it's there.

Same with Cubase, the boxed version anyway, it's all separate installers in there if you look beyond the automated installer, you can just not install their gigabytes of content for Halion or whatever.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:16 PM   #19
Irvin

Quote:
True. That's why it's all optional. I imagine (when it is optional like that) a lot of people who don't need it just ignore it.

It doesn't download by itself. But for those who do need or want it, it's there.

Same with Cubase, the boxed version anyway, it's all separate installers in there if you look beyond the automated installer, you can just not install their gigabytes of content for Halion or whatever.
Perhaps everyone knows it by now, but i'll say it just in case in can be useful to someone: the Sudio One 3 installer is pretty lean and all content (sound sets, loops, samples, etc.) is an optional install with a choice of where to install it.
Irvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 01:02 PM   #20
rvman

I use Reason along with Reaper. Reason has all the sounds I really need built-in, plus I have loads of refills that were free and include more content then I could ever use.

There is so much free high quality content available if one just spends some time researching.

But regardless, it's still up to YOU to write a song and record it.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:02 PM   #21
sillyrobin

UAD would be 1 of the biggest ripoffs when it comes to the price tag for plugs. I learned that the hard way. And with computers so fast nowadays I'm really kicking myself in the ass. I found free plugs as well that were more than capable to do the job and I spent hundreds on UAD plugs. Really dumb investment.
sillyrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 01:38 PM   #22
HugoRibeiroDotCom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvman View Post
I use Reason along with Reaper. Reason has all the sounds I really need built-in, plus I have loads of refills that were free and include more content then I could ever use.
Same here!
Old 05-24-2015, 04:39 PM   #23
Judders

Quote:
Back on topic to bundled content...

Isn't it enough that the composer cares? If it's a hobby, it's for your own amusement, so if spending a ton of money on great sounding VI's amuses you, where's the harm? These people are propping up the industry, which in turn helps professionals because it means audio software companies can keep prices competitive and invest more in innovation.

My problem with bundled content is the "jack of all trades, master of none" aspect of trying to have something for everyone.

For instance, I've still got GB's of loops that came bundled with Logic 8 that are sitting on my HD, never to be used. There's hundreds of sampler instruments that sound barely a step up from General Midi sounds that I'll never use too.

I think for beginners bundled instruments are good, but once you know what you want, you'd end up buying the same 3rd party instruments no matter what DAW you use. I welcomed the lack of loops and VI's in Reaper, because I've got too many already!
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:25 PM   #24
The Telenator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gv.lazcano View Post
... with the time I learnt better :P
Yeah, me too. Lot of shiny, fancy, over-hyped, time-wasting rubbish out there. Some good stuff too, but that can be time-wasting just as much!
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 04:12 AM   #25
Mink99

Quote:
That was when coobase dropped fxb and fxp support .....
Old 05-26-2015, 04:15 AM   #26
Mink99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
Isn't it enough that the composer cares? If it's a hobby, it's for your own amusement, so if spending a ton of money on great sounding VI's amuses you, where's the harm? These people are propping up the industry, which in turn helps professionals because it means audio software companies can keep prices competitive and invest more in innovation.

My problem with bundled content is the "jack of all trades, master of none" aspect of trying to have something for everyone.

For instance, I've still got GB's of loops that came bundled with Logic 8 that are sitting on my HD, never to be used. There's hundreds of sampler instruments that sound barely a step up from General Midi sounds that I'll never use too.

I think for beginners bundled instruments are good, but once you know what you want, you'd end up buying the same 3rd party instruments no matter what DAW you use. I welcomed the lack of loops and VI's in Reaper, because I've got too many already!
Fully agree, but the problem is not the disc space .... I paid for that stuff I knew I would never use ....
Old 05-26-2015, 11:54 AM   #27
Bristol Posse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink99 View Post
Fully agree, but the problem is not the disc space .... I paid for that stuff I knew I would never use ....
But isn't that true of any generic off the shelf software? regardless of price. I paid for a ton of stuff in REAPER that I know I will never use too

I think one would pay a great deal more to have custom software built to a one off, A la Carte spec specifically just for one person

Last edited by Bristol Posse; 05-26-2015 at 12:02 PM.
Bristol Posse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 03:00 PM   #28
Mink99

there is a small difference between reaper's included content and the amount of bloatware from other daws.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:51 AM   #29
whiteaxxxe
Banned

... and a not so small difference in the price for the complete package ...
Old 05-27-2015, 12:59 PM   #30
SaulT

I don't want to ask for a ton because I wouldn't want to stress the devs out. For me personally, I would like to see a bundled way to compose interesting sounds. That was the primary thing I was looking for when migrating from Fruity Loops back in the day, and it was a little frustrating trying to go out and find plugins to do so.

I would like to see some separate downloadable projects with examples of mixing, recording, and especially composition. It would be awesome to feature JS plugins in those processes to help people see just how useful they are.

It would be nice to update the JS plugins with a few that our community has developed, especially when some of them can make those interesting sounds and be used for the composition that I was describing earlier.

e.g. a bundled FM synth might take a little while to code as a Rea plugin, but we've got a few already written within the JS community.

That said, a ReaFM/ReaDX FM synth and a ReaFilter with a multimode ladder/svf would be dope af.
SaulT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:49 PM   #31
stereolost

Considering the great amounts of free synths out there, i see no point asking Cockos to spend time inventing something, that probably won't be any better. Let them do things that no plugin can do - the DAW functionality itself.
stereolost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 04:40 PM   #32
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteaxxxe View Post
... and a not so small difference in the price for the complete package ...
Very common misconception, that the two things are directly related. See Mixcraft and any other number of inexpensive products with synths and content.

No matter how often you dyspel myths on the net they just keep coming back like Freddie Kruger.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:29 PM   #33
sweben53

The other option is to go to Native instruments and download Komplete players for free. As good as most included content on other DAW's. The other option which will cost similar to a pro DAW such as cubase 8 pro or Pro tools, is to buy Komplete 10 or Kontakt (which komplete 10 includes anyway). Instruments sound amazing.
sweben53 is offline   Reply With Quote