Old 01-24-2015, 02:27 PM   #1
ReaperMadness
Human being with feelings

Default Questions Re: MCP Track Icon Sizes

I like using track icons - a lot. Helps me put my hands on things quickly. I Also make a lot of custom track icons for myself and got to wondering about the size of the icon image diplayed - specifically in this case, in RADO.

1. Is there a way to make the icon stay the same size all the time? The larger size displayed (approx. 1.6:1 width to height ratio) is good, but it changes to a very much shorter and tinier image when the MCP is shortened up, and I'd like it to stay the same size all the time.

2. Alternatively, if that is a no go, is there a possibility of having different images diplayed for each of the various sizes? Sort of like a toolbar icon set? Because shrinking-down a nice and legible icon to half the height renders it practically illegible and useless, leaving a lot of unused real estate on either side.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

New Music: = Mourning Marrs =
ReaperMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 04:02 PM   #2
Commala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperMadness View Post
I like using track icons - a lot. Helps me put my hands on things quickly. I Also make a lot of custom track icons for myself and got to wondering about the size of the icon image diplayed - specifically in this case, in RADO.

1. Is there a way to make the icon stay the same size all the time? The larger size displayed (approx. 1.6:1 width to height ratio) is good, but it changes to a very much shorter and tinier image when the MCP is shortened up, and I'd like it to stay the same size all the time.

2. Alternatively, if that is a no go, is there a possibility of having different images diplayed for each of the various sizes? Sort of like a toolbar icon set? Because shrinking-down a nice and legible icon to half the height renders it practically illegible and useless, leaving a lot of unused real estate on either side.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.
I thought there was a way, but now I don't think so. I had hoped that somehow the scalar value 'mcp_iconsize' would enable this, but I think it only reports the size of the icon tile; it doesn't allow you to define the size. Someone correct me if I'm wrong
Commala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 04:19 PM   #3
ReaperMadness

Thanks for the feedback, Commala. Nothing personal, but I hope you're wrong.

Old 01-24-2015, 04:33 PM   #4
ReaperMadness

You mean this:

mcp_iconsize -- size of mixer icon row, if any

Found here:

://www.reaper.fm/sdk/walter/walter.php

???

Old 01-24-2015, 05:01 PM   #5
Commala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperMadness View Post
You mean this:

mcp_iconsize -- size of mixer icon row, if any

Found here:

://www.reaper.fm/sdk/walter/walter.php

???
Yes, that's the one. I think the predefined scalar variables are read-only
Commala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:01 PM   #6
serenityjazz

This is something i asked long time ago, but unfortunately there is no way to do this:-(

Very boring when icons take large place for nothing more that hidden 2 tcp tracks
serenityjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 06:20 AM   #7
ReaperMadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenityjazz View Post
This is something i asked long time ago, but unfortunately there is no way to do this:-( ......
I am not a programmer, but I must respectfully disagree with that statement.

Something in the programming "tells" the MCP track icon to reduce width and height by approx. 50% at a certain point. Logic tells me that this instruction could be eliminated or altered, thereby allowing the icon to remain at it's initial, fixed dimensions.

We have nothing to fear but programming itself.

I tried to find something in the Walter guide but, alas, I am sad to report that it is written in Greek.

Last edited by ReaperMadness; 01-25-2015 at 06:26 AM.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:19 AM   #8
cubic13

Last edited by cubic13; 02-01-2015 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Deleted on admin demand...
cubic13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 04:37 AM   #9
gofer
-blänk-

Current state of pre versions isn't a valid argument. It's pre-release and thus not ready for prime time. Actually I think you should remove that pic because of
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL
4. PLEASE DISCUSS ONLY IN THE PRE-RELEASE FORUM
That said, I support any improvement to track icons, especially about placement and size.

@ReaperMadness: You don't find anything related to track icon placement and size in the Walter manual not because of language difficulties (actually I think it's among the best manuals I ever had the pleasure to read), but because it's hard-coded into Reaper. Not walterable as of yet.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 09:30 AM   #10
cubic13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
Current state of pre versions isn't a valid argument. It's pre-release and thus not ready for prime time. Actually I think you should remove that pic because of

That said, I support any improvement to track icons, especially about placement and size.
The problem is that it's exactly at the same state as in 4.xx and, by posting this, I just emphasize that something has to be done, no matter the version. I could have posted exactly the same one from v4.75, which is still my 'regular' installed Reaper version. Believe me, I stumbled enough on this one in the past...

Posting a 5.0-pre9 screenshot just show the fact that nothing has been done about it until now, despite the fact that the track icons management is clearly flawed and a nightmare for any theming development. Does this irritate you so much ?

Last edited by cubic13; 01-31-2015 at 09:45 AM.
Old 01-31-2015, 05:10 PM   #11
gofer
-blänk-

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubic13 View Post
The problem is that it's exactly at the same state as in 4.xx and, by posting this, I just emphasize that something has to be done, no matter the version. I could have posted exactly the same one from v4.75, which is still my 'regular' installed Reaper version. Believe me, I stumbled enough on this one in the past...

Posting a 5.0-pre9 screenshot just show the fact that nothing has been done about it until now, despite the fact that the track icons management is clearly flawed and a nightmare for any theming development. Does this irritate you so much ?
Not irritated at all, if I was I simply had removed your pic myself - you have to admit it violates one of the fight club rules. Cockos are nice enough to say please, so you could be nice enough to accept it.

I doubt you could have posted the same screenshot in 4.x, at least not without first reproducing the same bugs into the theme's config file. In proper 4.x themes (eg the default) icons are not half way overlayed by tcpbg in tcp at certain width and are not sitting half way over the extmixer area in mcp (I can't reproduce that latter one, btw). If you get this in 4.75 with v4.x default theme, then you should report it as a bug - with a v4.x pic.

Last edited by gofer; 01-31-2015 at 05:16 PM.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 09:28 PM   #12
ReaperMadness

Quote:
@ReaperMadness: You don't find anything related to track icon placement and size in the Walter manual not because of language difficulties (actually I think it's among the best manuals I ever had the pleasure to read), but because it's hard-coded into Reaper. Not walterable as of yet.
OK. Thanks, gofer. [ Wow. "Pleasure" and "Manual" in the same sentence... I'm impressed. ]

Old 02-01-2015, 12:49 AM   #13
cubic13

Here we are, gofer. I end here this debate. Have a nice day...