Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 04-09-2014, 01:07 AM   #1
musinux
Human being with feelings

Default Please make Reaper a basic Video recording and cutting software! :-) (DONE)

Hi,

Please give Reaper basic Video cutting features!
Or make an additional program plugin and call it "Viper" or "Veaper" or something like that! :-D

I am fed up with theses so called "professional Video Cutting Programs" out there.
To name it, there is nothing professional at all, when a magix video prox6 claims to load VST on 64bit systems but does not seem to have any bridging function for 32bit plugins and the other way around.

There are no VST Plugins available, if they are all 32bit! And direct-x Plugins do forget their adjustments one has made some minutes before. Argh!
Rubbish! Thats real rubbish for the can!
At the latest there is a bluescreen or a hanging of the program after 2 Hours of editing. One could call it "nagscreen".
Sound editing at all inside this program is a joke! Nothing more. The build in effects are not worth to name them "reverb", "eq" or "compressor". This is not more than a nice try!

When a "video deluxe 2014" cannot load all given h.264 MOV files correctly with sound tracks. What's professional on this?

And for the real professional ones out here: No, I do not need to buy a Premiere or avid studio blah, because I do not need the functionality for composing soundtracks. I just need a programm with some video editing options, that does work for me.

Back to reaper. It is so stable regarding sound editing, that one can say, if anything is not running in reaper, than it isn't running on any DAW in the world. No bluescreen, hanging or whatever.

What if reaper could cut videos, has perhaps basic video playback and overlay functionality on any track. Perhaps one could make some textblocks inside video (no fancy tricks, just plain text, maybe for small messages or a timecode overlay).

Then it would be so easy to compose music for video. Otherwise, if your composition does not fit to the scene-cuts you must go back in the so called "professional" video cutting program and cut you through all these program shut downs and blue nag screens.

Please make reaper go into basic video editing!
Best Regards, Musinux
musinux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:17 AM   #2
ADDIKTION

You can already cut and export videos in reaper.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:52 AM   #3
Mink99

I would like to see some basic image editing features. Something like reapershop for pixel and photos and reaper draw for vector graphics.
Mink99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:01 AM   #4
Lawrence

Quote:
... magix video prox6 ...
Vegas Movie Studio, $35-$50.

JBridge, $15.

Easy and relatively powerful video editing on the cheap, priceless.

Or just buy Vegas Pro and lock it to Reaper with MTC.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:23 AM   #5
musicbynumbers

there's a MASSIVE reason why I would actually love reaper to embrace video editing as a "thing" as long they got Christophe and a gang to do it and it didn't effect reaper in a negative way.

That massive reason is because if I had reaper's editing paradigms, mouse modifiers etc in a NLE. I would get so much video editing done! I've been through vegas and final cut and am now on premiere (which I prefer) but I HATE all of them for editing. Slow, clunky, no f'ing thought brought to the table on how to make things efficient. It's the one area of video I feel like I could actually sit at a meeting and get some big changes made and reaper opened my eyes to it!

I've done basic video editing in reaper before to tie in some example videos for games or media and it's been a god send for speed, just need some basics!

I would love to at least see crossfades/fade to black, first and last frame previews on the start and end of video items and maybe support for plugins at some point. This would be amazing!

But lawrence is right that it's cheaper and far more realistic to get something like vegas as there are so many things in video editors/NLEs that would need to be brought over and wouldn't be easy to program.

Here's hoping though!
Old 04-09-2014, 10:26 AM   #6
BenK-msx

I think in this day and age Reaper really could benefit with the ability to record video into the timeline, from source/webcam etc - doesn't need to be HD (although preferable), but little 3rd party utilities can manage it (reaper can playback/edit/render encode/decode all sorts, but doesn't capture!)- having video and audio recorded in sync would be extremely advantagous, not just for making pretty videos, but for the benefit of multitrack recording - live tracking scenarios, the list is endless.

they don't need snazzy edit or post production tools, other soft does that well, but allow us to record video and our audio at the same time.

currently i have to use a tiny app to record video, then drag that file into reaper, just slow and unnecessary imo.

Last edited by BenK-msx; 04-09-2014 at 10:31 AM.
BenK-msx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:45 AM   #7
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
HATE all of them for editing.
Yeah, in context they're video editors by design, not really audio editors, although Vegas was already a much, much better audio editor and mixer than most pro video editors, since it started out as an audio editor. So I guess they didn't feel the need to make massive improvements to the audio editing side, already surpassing most other video editors, although they have made some improvements.

But yeah, finding an app with both the video editing power of Vegas or FCP and the audio editing power of PT or Reaper or Audition (and not to mention midi sequencing) isn't very likely to happen.

We can still dream though.

I've yet to use any pro audio workstation that handles video as smoothly as Vegas.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:43 PM   #8
Fergler

You can use Blender
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:20 PM   #9
musicbynumbers

I meant video editing in NLEs not audio! but if you could edit video like you can with audio in reaper I would be super happy! I sometimes have to do music videos for people so next time I do one I'm going to make a "hate list" to document what I mean lol

Vegas is great for sure on most things. I changed mostly because of hardware acceleration need for HD footage wasn't good at the time. probably is now though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Yeah, in context they're video editors by design, not really audio editors, although Vegas was already a much, much better audio editor and mixer than most pro video editors, since it started out as an audio editor. So I guess they didn't feel the need to make massive improvements to the audio editing side, already surpassing most other video editors, although they have made some improvements.

But yeah, finding an app with both the video editing power of Vegas or FCP and the audio editing power of PT or Reaper or Audition (and not to mention midi sequencing) isn't very likely to happen.

We can still dream though.

I've yet to use any pro audio workstation that handles video as smoothly as Vegas.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:45 AM   #10
musinux

Default cutting Videos? reaper can do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDIKTION View Post
Hi, do you mean cutting the end or beginning of a whole project, or is reaper really able to cut scenes inside a project? greetings, musinux
Old 04-11-2014, 03:58 AM   #11
musinux

Default cutting Videos? reaper can do it?

Quote:
Hi, do you mean cutting the end or beginning of a whole project, or is reaper really able to cut scenes inside a project? greetings, musinux
Old 04-11-2014, 04:22 AM   #12
EvilDragon

You can cut a video item as if it were an audio item. You just don't have any fade effects and the like.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:51 AM   #13
musinux

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
You can cut a video item as if it were an audio item. You just don't have any fade effects and the like.
I am on vacation, so as i remember there is no shown video block in the track video is associated with. Am I right? How can i set cuts in this way?
Old 04-11-2014, 05:28 AM   #14
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by musinux View Post
I am on vacation, so as i remember there is no shown video block in the track video is associated with. Am I right? How can i set cuts in this way?
That's never very helpful in video preferences you can get reaper to seek and update video on moving the edges of it so you can use this to find your start and end points. Not as powerful but good for quick demos etc
Old 04-11-2014, 06:03 AM   #15
musinux

Default thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
That's never very helpful in video preferences you can get reaper to seek and update video on moving the edges of it so you can use this to find your start and end points. Not as powerful but good for quick demos etc
Hi, thanks very much!
But Reaper is not able to handle more than one video track, or make an overly between two videos ,isn't it? Best regards, musinux
Old 04-11-2014, 06:35 AM   #16
ADDIKTION

Editing : you can only cut video items like you cut audio items. No video mixing nor fading.
An overlaying video replaces the video(s) under.

You can export the edited result as video file.
You can insert pictures in the arrange view, they appear as screenshots in the video window.

Last edited by ADDIKTION; 04-11-2014 at 06:52 AM.
ADDIKTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:54 AM   #17
TimOBrien

I have always called Sony Vegas Studio "the Reaper of video editors".

It's cheap, it's easy to use and it WORKS.

(will let you use your audio VST's too....)

when I moved to an iMac I installed Win7 via Parallels just to continue running it.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:02 AM   #18
ginormous

For one, I would LOVE to have video editing and FX capabilities in an open source non-linear editor like there are in Reaper. Even Audacity is a better audio editor than the few open source NLE's for video I've seen.

There's no reason it can't be done, given the many great video codecs there are. I hope there's a team dedicated to open source who's willing to take up the challenge.
ginormous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:41 AM   #19
musinux

Default seems that theres not so much left

Quote:
Editing : you can only cut video items like you cut audio items. No video mixing nor fading.
An overlaying video replaces the video(s) under.

You can export the edited result as video file.
You can insert pictures in the arrange view, they appear as screenshots in the video window.

Hi, than there is not so much left:

- green box for overlaying text and video in video
- small text editor like wordpad...
- elementary move action for events (for scrolling texts, moving arrows and stuff like that)
- luminace curves for fade in and out
-api for video plugins (for all that fancy 3rd party effects)

;-)