Old 06-15-2014, 03:55 AM   #1
krevvy
Human being with feelings

Default softube console 1

Hi, Just ordered a softube console 1, just checking if anyone else is running one with reaper and any issues or tips.
Thanks
krevvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 05:24 AM   #2
Tim Ragnur

Mine just arrived, looking forward to put it to use. Will report back!
Tim Ragnur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:18 AM   #3
krevvy

"Automatic transfer of track name and number is a feature that needs to be implemented in the respective DAWs"

This apparently works in cubase & studio one... Just wondering if it's working in reaper, or if it could be added?
Old 10-17-2014, 10:28 AM   #4
ieso

any more info available on reap and console 1?

thanks
ie
ieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 10:30 AM   #5
krevvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieso View Post
any more info available on reap and console 1?

thanks
ie
I was a member of the softube beta team for windows which has recently been released to the public..
It works perfect with reaper but auto track naming doesn't work (emailed reaper devs but totally ignored)
Old 10-17-2014, 11:19 AM   #6
Tim Ragnur

I asked in this thread on gearslutz "Would you consider supporting auto name and number transfer in Reaper?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softube View Post
It's mostly up to the Reaper developers if they are willing to spend the time on doing it. It's a change that needs to be done within the DAW. We have obviously mostly focused on the DAWs with the biggest user bases, but we should probably get in touch with the Reaper people as well.
Haven't had much the chance to put mine to use yet(!), been stuck on other lines of work.
Tim Ragnur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 12:40 PM   #7
ieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by krevvy View Post
I was a member of the softube beta team for windows which has recently been released to the public..
It works perfect with reaper but auto track naming doesn't work (emailed reaper devs but totally ignored)
ah, thanks
Old 10-17-2014, 12:41 PM   #8
ieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ragnur View Post
I asked in this thread on gearslutz "Would you consider supporting auto name and number transfer in Reaper?"

Haven't had much the chance to put mine to use yet(!), been stuck on other lines of work.
yeah, I saw that one earlier today as I was searching around. thanks much
Old 10-17-2014, 12:43 PM   #9
Win Conway

I am a huge softube fan (very few plugins left not by them) but that is a completely ass hat answer
1 They have literally no way of knowing which app has the biggest user base, many would argue less Studio one users and many others
2 I am fairly sure they could add the support themselves to Reaper using the controller API
Old 10-17-2014, 01:48 PM   #10
ieso

Maybe we can get behind a feature request: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=147652
Old 10-26-2014, 02:21 PM   #11
tk_nacho

hey I just wanted to ask anyone who is actually using Console 1:

Does the channel strip sounds great? (compared to any of the other brands like waves, ddmf, sonimus)?
Is it tightly responsive? I have a Novation Nocturn and sometimes feels it's a little bit slow.
Does it really get used or sometimes you tend to just pick the mouse?
Finally, besides the naming thing, does it work great with REAPER?

Thanks!!
tk_nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 01:16 PM   #12
krevvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk_nacho View Post
hey I just wanted to ask anyone who is actually using Console 1:

Does the channel strip sounds great? (compared to any of the other brands like waves, ddmf, sonimus)? YES

Is it tightly responsive? I have a Novation Nocturn and sometimes feels it's a little bit slow. YES
Does it really get used or sometimes you tend to just pick the mouse? YES
Finally, besides the naming thing, does it work great with REAPER? YES

Thanks!!
YES to all
Old 10-27-2014, 04:37 PM   #13
tk_nacho

Thank you krevvy! I think i will be pulling the trigger!!
Old 11-03-2014, 04:05 PM   #14
The Telenator
Banned

I guess this is where the money is being made these days in DAW-world. And I include with this controllers such as Ableton can use, like Push, the one for Kontact and others. It seems like every one of them is about a grand.

In this case, it's the software included, a large channel strip-like plugin essentially, that does the DSP part here, the hardware unit with the knobs and buttons are only parameter and selection controls. Is this true?

From what I can see of the hardware part, I'm going to guess that we have there about $25 in potentiometers and single pole single throw switches from the likes of Radio Shack. Therefore the real money must be in the software itself ... and of course the great convenience of the entire setup.

I've always liked Softube products and I'm not knocking this one. I will say that they rarely give anything en vogue or important away cheaply, do they? This and the other DAW add-on gadgets are the NBT right now. I expect cheaper entries into this niche in a big way next year. I've already seen a couple of 'generic' controls for a bit more than $200. Even so, I'll likely wait it out and see if the price falls as the newness of this one wears off.

Curious -- if any of you have any training or experience on consoles such as Neve, Harrison or similar, how would you rate this Softube offering for quality of sound in comparison? I think I'm asking, is the unit and softwear more plugin-like or more toward console sound to your ears?
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:04 AM   #15
krevvy

Hi, Ideally there would be a standard controller, then plugin makers could adhere to this standard and everyone wins... however this isnt the case and the reason i chose to buy the console 1 was my previous use of their plugins which I love, the attention to detail is stunning.
I havnt personally used an SSL console, but have been in a band that tracked through one 15+ years ago, and listened to hundreds of albums so kind of know what to expect.
Even if it isnt a perfoct clone of an SSL, the way it sounds, acts and the way the compressor acts is perfect for me, also the drive/saturation can really make things pop out of the mix or be pushed back in a magical way with the use of the character control.
It really has led to better, quicker, easier more balanced mixes for me.

I used to spend a long time choosing an eq.. then a compressor.. then a gate.. then maybe a saturation plugin.
I usually only choose an alternate compressor for my Drum Buss... everything else sounds absolute magic especially guitars & vocals.. I cant imagine a better chain.

Now I have this loaded on all my tracks and most of the time I don't need another plugin (apart from effects modulation/verbs/delays etc)

being able to switch the screen off and mix is very useful, i find that I can be misled by having the screen on and also misled by fancy plugin GUI's
Switch the screen off.. listen & mix, makes a huge difference.
After a short time, I dont even need to look at the console 1, I instinctively know where to go.

Its not perfect
reaper doesn't make use of the auto track naming/numbering feature.. other pro daws do (cubase/pro tools/studio 1 etc./..)
unless you stick to a standard track numbering scheme, things can get tricky e.g i always keep kick on 1, snare one 2, tom1 on 3 and so on.... but if mixing a session I didn't create, its tricky to know what's on what track.
I still wish it had a little LED screen so that when you pressed track 1 it would say kick etc..
You have no control over sends, so you will need to refer back to the daw for that

Yes its an expensive box, that is very simple and likely cheap to build..but the amount of time it has saved me has already paid for itself twice over, I love the sound of it, I also love the second desk model that is in the beta (not sure if released to public yet) but its another magic/smooth sounding desk.
CPU use is also extremely low.

Im on the fence about jumping back to Cubase/Nuendo as they seem to be on the ball with softube features, where reaper Devs have ignored my email about this and also no response on the forums...
either a "we have seen this and contemplating adding it" would be cool... but the blanket ignorance, is annoying.
Steinberg had the feature ready even before windows alpha/beta and AVID & console 1 had it ready before windows release.

Last edited by krevvy; 11-11-2014 at 07:21 AM.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:09 AM   #16
jpanderson80

Krevvy,

It's good to hear that a unit has helped minimize distractions as you move forward with making good decisions during the mix stage. This is a big concept that I think gets overlooked. Thanks for highlighting it.

I am interested in what other emulations are in the works. While I think that emulation technology is hyped these days, but I still find it interesting.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:50 AM   #17
tk_nacho

any chance this may happen?
Old 01-12-2015, 12:56 PM   #18
krevvy

Quote:
any chance this may happen?
not heard anything, not even a "no"
I would rather have a negative answer than to be ignored. This feature does however work perfectly in cubase 8 which ive recently purchased.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:04 PM   #19
tk_nacho

Just a bump for the autonaming request :-)
Old 02-27-2015, 05:57 PM   #20
krevvy

just to say that the grass isnt greener..... Had Cubase 8 pro now for a couple of months.. i love it for single songs and composing, midi & vsti implementation is just better, as are the tempo from audio and variaudio features.. but its a total pain the backside for long multitrack live sessions. (navigation is horrible and awkward & you can only export one region at a time.
Also stability is terrible compared to reaper! (mainly due to 3rd party vst's, which is penned to be fixed in 8.0.10)

In reaper the navigation/editing and easy batch exporting of regions is a total win.

But for softube console 1, Cubase 8 is the perfect companion.
say I have a 50 channel mix with nothing on the inserts...
1. select all tracks
2. press QS link
3. insert console 1 on an insert

and that is it.... console 1 gets put on every channel, immediately & automatically names and numbered and the project is ready to start mixing.
I can even move tracks around and the renumbering is seamlessly changed.

I just wish it was that easy in Reaper!

There is benefits to both DAWS, I use both for different things, but full console 1 support would be great in Reaper, considering its on the cutting edge & a professional DAW, it remains about the only popular DAW without this feature.

I have all Softube plugins, all Slate, all waves, all eventide all soundtoys... but the sound of console 1 and the simplicity is astounding.. everything I need in one channel, totally customizable (with any other softube plugin), amazing cpu use, I rarely reach for anything else now!

Last edited by krevvy; 02-27-2015 at 06:05 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:26 PM   #21
tk_nacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by krevvy View Post
just to say that the grass isnt greener..... Had Cubase 8 pro now for a couple of months.. i love it for single songs and composing, midi & vsti implementation is just better, as are the tempo from audio and variaudio features.. but its a total pain the backside for long multitrack live sessions. (navigation is horrible and awkward & you can only export one region at a time.
Also stability is terrible compared to reaper! (mainly due to 3rd party vst's, which is penned to be fixed in 8.0.10)

In reaper the navigation/editing and easy batch exporting of regions is a total win.

But for softube console 1, Cubase 8 is the perfect companion.
say I have a 50 channel mix with nothing on the inserts...
1. select all tracks
2. press QS link
3. insert console 1 on an insert

and that is it.... console 1 gets put on every channel, immediately & automatically names and numbered and the project is ready to start mixing.
I can even move tracks around and the renumbering is seamlessly changed.

I just wish it was that easy in Reaper!

There is benefits to both DAWS, I use both for different things, but full console 1 support would be great in Reaper, considering its on the cutting edge & a professional DAW, it remains about the only popular DAW without this feature.

I have all Softube plugins, all Slate, all waves, all eventide all soundtoys... but the sound of console 1 and the simplicity is astounding.. everything I need in one channel, totally customizable (with any other softube plugin), amazing cpu use, I rarely reach for anything else now!
Thanks for the response krevvy, it is indeed amazing.

I've been building a template around it and tweaking it while mixing some projects, and it happens that it's a little bit annoying to keep the mixer/console 1 arranged while making changes on a particular mix, and though I don't particulary care for the channels to match their number in Console 1, it feels a little messy (not Messi =P) on larger projects, or when I want to split for example a vocal or guitar track and add another, my template order goes to hell..and inserting a track and rearranging it may lead to some other tracks passing to another page and loosing the mapping it a little bit.
I have taken some care and left some empty tracks in the template, but I'd like to not think about it when mixing so its not a limitation when you want to try weird things or experiment.

If all other DAWS have implemented the track name/number transfer, I wouldn't think it would be much of a hassle for the devs, and maybe it could be even implemented with some of Reaper's extensions/scripts by some coder.
I seriously don't have an idea, it would be cool to hear at least some of the staff opinions on the request and if could be implemented somehow.

On a side note, i've been experiencing a high CPU usage when hitting play for a second with Console 1. In the performance meter, values go high when the playback starts and the consequence is a horrible crack in the audio that last a second or two, then it continue to play nice and the CPU goes back to normal. I'm in Windows 8.1, Intel i5, Reaper x64. Has something like that happened to you? (it happens with the C1 plugin, and with low and high track counts).

Greetings!
Old 03-03-2015, 03:29 AM   #22
krevvy

Quote:
On a side note, i've been experiencing a high CPU usage when hitting play for a second with Console 1. In the performance meter, values go high when the playback starts and the consequence is a horrible crack in the audio that last a second or two, then it continue to play nice and the CPU goes back to normal. I'm in Windows 8.1, Intel i5, Reaper x64. Has something like that happened to you? (it happens with the C1 plugin, and with low and high track counts).
Greetings!
the only issues I have had is with VST3x64 (in reaper 5 x64 pre builds) where CPU usage even when idle is 70%+ for one instance!

(in cubase 8.0.5 x64 & reaper 4.77 x64 i have had 60+ instances of C1 with not even 70% cpu hit)

to be honest I don't even use console1 and reaper anymore, its just to slow to work with manual naming etc.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:45 AM   #23
jonty

Default 1 year later...

Hi Guys - Any news on this? Does Reaper integrate (track names/numbers) fully now?
jonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:56 AM   #24
krevvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonty View Post
Hi Guys - Any news on this? Does Reaper integrate (track names/numbers) fully now?
Nope I've had no response on here, via email to support (quite ignorant for a paying customer to be ignored) I could understand a reply saying "no" or "we are thinking about it" but to get no reply by an official support email request is rude.
I also beta test for softube.. They have had no reply either.

Last edited by krevvy; 02-29-2016 at 11:08 AM.