Old 11-12-2016, 01:26 PM   #1
snooks
Banned

Default Hang when looping (FIXED)

I have a project where looping around hangs Reaper. You need to let it loop around 10 times or so for it to happen.

There is a send for a sidechain from track 12 to track 4. On track 4 there is an instance of ReaComp. When I disable ReaComp the hang does not occur. When I copy just those tracks to a completely fresh project it does not occur either.

The hang also does not occur with a fresh install of Reaper, so it might be an option somewhere or other that causes it.

I've attached a project that's stripped down to a bunch of tracks with no 3rd party VSTis or anything where it can be reproduced.

edit: I should add that the symptoms are that RT CPU shoots up (to ~300% here). If you catch it climbing and stop play a hang occurs when you try to press play or stop afterwards.
Attached Files
File Type: rpp reacomp-hnd-test.rpp (48.9 KB, 274 views)
snooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 04:44 AM   #2
snooks
Banned

Just to clarify, the small looped area in the attached project is just for convenience.... the hang occurs with an 8 bar looped section too, but it takes longer (the same number of reps) to trigger.

Can anybody reproduce?
Old 11-14-2016, 02:44 PM   #3
Justin
Administrator

Having trouble duplicating...

1) What block-size and samplerate is your audio device set to?
2) What OS/REAPER version/build/architecture/etc
3) What CPU?
4) Can you post your reaper.ini file?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 04:44 PM   #4
snooks
Banned

Cool, thanks for looking into it...

1) What block-size and samplerate is your audio device set to?
48KHz, 256 samples, ASIO. Also with WASAPI 48KHz.

2) What OS/REAPER version/build/architecture/etc
Win10, main and portable install (with attached ini) of REAPER 5.29 pre 2 (but also previous, recent versions), x64. Plain vanilla theme, no scripts.

3) What CPU?
i7-4720HQ

4) Can you post your reaper.ini file?
Yup, please find attached the reaper.ini that reproduces the issue with fresh portable install.
Attached Files
File Type: ini REAPER.ini (27.6 KB, 255 views)
Old 11-14-2016, 07:41 PM   #5
Justin
Administrator

Aha, it seems it is the option "Flush FX when looping". Looking at how to fix now, but you can disable that as a workaround.

Also I noticed you had some CPU thread settings set in prefs/general/advanced. If this was intentional (some hyperthreading work around maybe?), disregard, but otherwise I'd remove those overrides and let the windows scheduler do its thing.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:16 PM   #6
Justin
Administrator

Also, of interest: it only occurs when anticipative FX are effectively off for the PDC-requiring track, so in this instance it is disabled in the track performance options (or you can disable it in the prefs).. so if you enable anticipative FX in the prefs, and in the track perf option, it will also fix it. ...but of course I'm working on fixing the root of the problem too.