Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 02-14-2017, 05:57 PM   #1
soundchaser59
Human being with feelings

Default With These Specs, Should I Go To Win 10?

Current is Win 7 Pro 32 bit, Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 USB (2nd gen), Reaper 5.2x, Superior Drummer 2, Sonik Synth II, SampleTank 2.5, Pianoteq 5.

ASUS mb with Core 2 Duo E6750 and 6GB ram. I can get Win 10 new for cheap thru my work.

My board and cpu will run the 64 bit OS, and Win 10 will be able to use all of my ram, but....

Will I gain much by going up to the 64 bit OS? How will it help me? Noticeable? Or just barely? How will I most likely notice the differences? more plugins at the same time? more tracks at once? (this is an audio only machine, no other apps)

Is it worth the effort for this home studio dude to switch?
Old 02-14-2017, 08:48 PM   #2
Quasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundchaser59 View Post
Current is Win 7 Pro 32 bit, Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 USB (2nd gen), Reaper 5.2x, Superior Drummer 2, Sonik Synth II, SampleTank 2.5, Pianoteq 5.

ASUS mb with Core 2 Duo E6750 and 6GB ram. I can get Win 10 new for cheap thru my work.

My board and cpu will run the 64 bit OS, and Win 10 will be able to use all of my ram, but....

Will I gain much by going up to the 64 bit OS? How will it help me? Noticeable? Or just barely? How will I most likely notice the differences? more plugins at the same time? more tracks at once? (this is an audio only machine, no other apps)

Is it worth the effort for this home studio dude to switch?
If everything is working for you satisfactorily now, maybe just leave well enough alone and think in terms of getting a more current gen computer if/when you can. On the other hand, if the memory is a bottleneck (it would be for me)...

I'd try it to remove the memory ceiling. But your computer is pretty long in the tooth, and it's possible you'd encounter some gremlins that could cause issues such as high disk usage, driver incompatibilities or something... If you go for it, back up a system image first so that you can restore your current environment if it doesn't work out.

But especially because you're running VSTis, a new computer is the best solution if you can swing it.
Quasar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 05:27 PM   #3
vdubreeze

I wouldn't think that 6 gig of ram will make going 64 bit on the Asus do anything substantially beneficial in this context. Maybe compatibility-wise on some random things but not performance. Or actually, as Quasar says, less compatibility somewhere.

For a jump in VSTi performance see if work will lay a four or five year old laptop on you that either has 16 of ram or can easily get upped to 16.