Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 01-21-2017, 09:56 PM   #1
maleako
Human being with feelings

Default Is it possible to link/use two separate audio interfaces?

For example -- I have a ton of analog gear, and thus use two Echo AudioFire 12's linked up and clocked together to essentially become an "Echo AudioFire 24". The AudioFire's only have Analog Inputs and Outputs, and MIDI IN/OUT. There's no SPDIF or AES.

I want to get the new RME UFX II (http://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/fireface_ufx_ii.php), which has 30 Input / 30 Output channels, but only 12 Analog IO -- which is not enough for all of my analog synthesizers to play simultaneously.

What do I do?

Is there a way I can utilize the 24 Analog IO from the AudioFire's, annnnd the RME UFX II AES digital inputs for my Digital gear in Reaper? Or do I need to use ADAT to get more analog channels? Ideally, I don't want my old interfaces going to waste though!
maleako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 08:44 PM   #2
jmorel33

If both are the same manufacturer, I would think they could be combined, yet that's a .suppose. I have a similar question but for two cards of different manufacturers.
jmorel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 10:12 PM   #3
jerome_oneil

On a Mac you can create an aggregate device and combine inputs and outputs for any connected audio source or sink to create a virtual interface. I understand AISO allows the same thing but I don't know how that works.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 06:45 PM   #4
drumphil

In windows you'd have to use ASIO4ALL, which allows you to aggregate devices, so long as they have a wordclock link between them to keep them in sync. But then you are adding a layer that talks to the WDM drivers for the cards, and not the asio drivers, so performance is often negatively effected.

Technically you can make it work, but it can be a pain in the rear end to get it all working, and you probably are going to have worse latency and stability than just using one card with it's native ASIO driver.

I'd suggest just getting the RME, and getting a behringer ada8200 for an extra 8 ins and outs.
drumphil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:44 PM   #5
maleako

Thanks for the replies and answers yall. Unfortunately, I want(ed) the ability to link different interfaces together from different manufacturers. For example, an interface with Digital Ins/Outs, and an interface with only Analog Ins/Outs.

However, I figured it out, and will post my solution here, because maybe it can help others! It is not for the faint of heart of heart though, and quite complex -- but very rewarding in the long run.

I am on Windows -- which does not have aggregate devices -- and usually only allows one 'handle' to a driver (For example, when playing your track from your DAW & Audio Interface, usually you wont be able to play music from Winamp at the same time). So --- To get around this limitation of ones Audio Interface only being able to play from one source, and for being able to stream on YouTube/Twitch whatever I'm working on -- I use a peice of software called "ASIO Link Pro -- by O Deus". This allows the routing of audio from anything, to anything. For example, routing the audio of Reaper into Twitch or whatever.

Here is their solution to my question they responded with. They're great.

Quote:
Thank you for your support and question and it is only possible to link different interfaces together through networking which is not ideal but it does work.

In order to do this you need to run ASIO Link (Pro) with Multi-client mode disabled.

Then follow these steps:

1) Start the first instance of ASIO Link and choose the first interface as the driver and set up a 1-1 routing from ASIO DRIVER OUT MIX to NETWORK OUT and enable it

2) Start a second instance of ASIO Link and choose the other interface as the ASIO driver and set up a 1-1 routing from NETWORK IN to ASIO DRIVER OUT MIX

---

Note that the second instance cannot access the ASIOVAD(PRO) WDM driver, this is normal as it is in use by the first instance.

At this stage 16 channels of audio is now sent from the first ASIO Link to the second ASIO Link with some added latency.

Hope this helps.
maleako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 11:33 PM   #6
drumphil

You can aggregate devices with aiso4all. Asiolink also does this, but also does a bunch of other stuff you don't need, and will probably not have as good low latency operation as just doing stuff through asio4all. Also, asio4all is free.

Also, without some form of resampling, which adds latency (asio link may do this, i'm not sure), you are going to need a wordclock link between the two devices.
drumphil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:41 AM   #7
Medway

Very interesting, never checked out ASIO Link Pro before, looks like that could come in handy as long as the latency isn't too bad.

Looking at the application window seems it's only 25ms which isn't too bad, however.

Haven't managed to get it to work on ASIO4ALL yet but should give it another shot.
Medway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 05:11 AM   #8
SonicAxiom

You can use Dante Via (audinate.com) to aggregate the in/outs of every audio hardware connected to your computer. Simultaneously, Dante Via aggregates all software in/outs and lets you route audio between any of all these sources. You can aggregate the DAW, Skype, two different usb interfaces, a laptop's mic input, etc. Above this, all sources aggregated by Dante Via can be shared as sources and destinations in a Dante network.
SonicAxiom is offline   Reply With Quote