Old 05-26-2016, 11:33 AM   #1
frkasper
Human being with feelings

Default Ampsim through a real cab.

Dear all,

I'm sure many here play guitar with a VST ampsim through the monitor speakers. Others, including myself, through hi-fi/multimedia speakers.

Is there anyone playing through a real cab? Do you like the sound out of it? What's the setup? I imagine the signal chain would be something like: ampsim -> power amp -> guitar cabinet.

For the record, I have a vintage-sound tube amp and have inserted the signal coming from REAPER in the FX loop of the amp. Did not like too much because I had side effects due the design of my amp. Not too mention it is somehow cumbersome having to change the setup everytime.

Would you please share your inputs? Thanks!

PS.: My cab is a 2x12" Celestion Greenback G12M (25W).

Last edited by frkasper; 05-26-2016 at 12:09 PM.
frkasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 11:38 AM   #2
karbomusic

You can try it while turning off the internal cab sim and see if you like it. I've never tried because if I'm going to do that, I'd just plug into the amp already sitting on the cab.
Old 05-26-2016, 01:24 PM   #3
MrBongo

going through a real cab (with proper signal routing and decent components) is the best thing you can do.

Interface => power amp => cab is correct. No need for a re-amping box in this case
I don´t really know what might have caused your issues, I am running the same setup (except that I still use my head´s pre-amp stage before the interface)
MrBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 04:24 PM   #4
frkasper

Gents, thank you for your inputs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
You can try it while turning off the internal cab sim and see if you like it.
Yep, I always do that actually. No IR at all as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBongo View Post
going through a real cab (with proper signal routing and decent components) is the best thing you can do.

Interface => power amp => cab is correct. No need for a re-amping box in this case
I don´t really know what might have caused your issues, I am running the same setup (except that I still use my head´s pre-amp stage before the interface)
Interesting, this morning I calibrated a dry DI signal and compared against my SEND signal after the preamp section of the real amp. And before any valves saturation I felt the signals very similar, by looking in the spectrum at VOXENGO SPAN. A little boost in the high end (> 8kHz) given by the amp itself but nothing too complicated to address.

I tried the VST ampsim straight in the tube amp input in the past but I did have this purist mindset of my amp colouring the tone and stuff... And today's test showed me that I can live with that, plus can take advantage of my pedalboard as well as long as I have a clean VST preset, which is good actually (I love Marshall tone, for instance, but can't afford to buy the real thing today ).

A question though, I was looking at a specific 2-channel power amp (that could work in bridge mode) to use for that regard, in order that:
  1. I could leverage my 2x12" speakers: 8ohm in parallel and 16ohm each in stereo mode. I have both options in the cab.
  2. So signal chain would be VST ampsim (with no cab emulation) -> interface -> power amp -> real cab.
  3. This power amp could be used for other matters in future demands as well. I can always get a pair of passive speakers and use it as multimedia speakers.
  4. I can spare any valves maintenance of the real amp.
  5. A 2-channel (100W) power amp is not expensive. However, today I don't have the knowledge on how the quality of this power amp would influence in the tone itself. Budget-wise, anything below USD300.
  6. Not to mention the amplifier will work on low impedance signals, i.e., downstream the audio interface.

Ultimately, I guess this post was tailored in getting a decision in buying or not a pure solid state power amp for those VST applications, based on the reasons listed above. That is why any input is appreciated.

And my objective on all of this? Just fun.

Cheers!

Last edited by frkasper; 05-26-2016 at 04:32 PM.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:51 PM   #5
Fergler

Quote:
Originally Posted by frkasper View Post
Not to mention the amplifier will work on low impedance signals, i.e., downstream the audio interface.
Don't let this be a deciding factor, an impedance transformer is relatively cheap to bring your signal up to ~10k ohms for use with instrument inputs
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 11:37 AM   #6
frkasper

Dear all,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
Don't let this be a deciding factor, an impedance transformer is relatively cheap to bring your signal up to ~10k ohms for use with instrument inputs
Thanks Fergler. That can be something to aim for as well. Even though I put my PROD2 in reverse mode (reamping), I may be wrong but I think my signal is still lower impedance. The -15dB pad switch in the DI box became a powerful friend.

Nevertheless, I was able to achieve what I wanted. I have this small 8" solid state combo amp that I've opened its back and went to a tech store and had the guy to make a cable for me (with a 1/4" jack in the other end).

Signal chain here is: Guitar -> Interface -> Reamp box -> Combo amp (Inst input) -> 2x12" cab.

I guess my suspicious was right. It is so much pleasant listening to my Digitech Pedalboard, my ampsims (BIAS, LePou plugins and even GR5). It is really different when hearing through my 2x12" (yes, cab simulation is disabled). So when I get sick of my vintage-like tube amp sound I now have an alternative.

The collateral though is that open back in my combo amp. Hence, I may buy a simple line-level amplifier which I suspect would have similar effect than in the current setup, which btw costed me something like USD5. A simple 60W@4ohms amplifier is roughly 20x that. Still very affordable and something that can be used elsewhere though, e.g.: a multimedia system with n stereo speakers.

Many thanks to all. Cheers,