Old 04-14-2014, 02:05 AM   #1
GaemethProject
Human being with feelings

Default Save Project as a Bundle

Hi,
Coming from the Logic Pro world, i really miss a recent useful update which allows to save a project :
-as a project file, with resources in separate files/directories
-OR , as a bundle project : a single file embedding all needed ressources.

This last way to save and open a project is a real enhancement, as it allows a more convenient way for file management/backup and above all SHARING via a Cloud (i am mostly working with fellows musicians around the world) : is allows to versionize a single file when one of us adds something.
Allowing to put project version information while saving (aka changelog) available for quick view using FileExplorer or Finder would be incredible useful to see what changes were made by who and when...

Being fully comaptible between Windows & Mac for this bundle approach would be absolutely incredible while working with people.
GaemethProject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 04:24 AM   #2
G-Sun

Sava as..
new directory (checked)
Copy all media (checked)
Zip
?
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:18 AM   #3
whutuneed

+1..............................
whutuneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:57 AM   #4
GaemethProject

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
Sava as..
new directory (checked)
Copy all media (checked)
Zip
Of course it could be a solution.

The purpose here is to get a convenient/automated way to save, share, load projects, and above all to avoid repetitive errors or forgetting some parameters (checkbox you mentioned for example...)

I mean if some DAWs (such as Logic) already implemented this functionality... there could be a simple reason depending on what kind of context you are working on.

Considering a context where two or more people need to share a project :

"Old fashioned" :
-First save: Save as,new directory (checked),Copy all media (checked),Zip = 4 + m actions
-Other saves x n : save + zip = (2 + m) x n actions where m = number of actions into the zip program
-For loading x n such shared project : unzip (usually right click) + open project (hoping there is no OS filesystem issue...) = 2 x n

"Bundled fashioned" :
-First save : save as, select "bundle" = 2 actions
-Other saves x n : save = n actions
-For loading x n such projects : open project (with no OS filesystem issue as it is manage by Reaper) = n actions

"Old fashioned" = 4+4n + m + (m x n) actions
vs
"Bundled Fashioned" = 2+2n actions

where n = number of time you are sharing
and m = the number of actions needed for zipping a file using an external program

See ? it divides sources of errors and number of users' actions by 2 (at least !)

The simple fact that the m + (m x n) factor is not here with the bundle IS mainly the process improvement, considering the more actions you do, the more errors and source of distraction you have. And after this m + (m x n) factor is time spent outside the musical process...

I am coming from Logic World, and you know what, i really DO appreciate REAPER because I have less errors and find it more effective and quick to use... that's why such enhancement could be IMHO very convenient.

Again, such gain is REALLY worth the functionnality for people who are often sharing projects (Not to mention when using differents OS => really useful)

When working alone or on the same machine without sharing, i don't think such need occurs.

Last edited by GaemethProject; 04-17-2014 at 06:51 AM.
GaemethProject is offline   Reply With Quote