Old 12-13-2009, 03:47 PM   #1
multip
Human being with feelings

Default ReWire - (Typing) Keyboard Input

Forgive me if this question has been answered somewhere already, I've searched the forums a few times for an answer but haven't found one.

My question is this: I'd like to use FL Studio with ReWire in Reaper. However, when FL application is focused, no (typing) keyboard input is being routed to FL Studio. Without the use of keyboard shortcuts, I'm not inclined to use the application.

Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere or any way I can make it so when my ReWired FL is focused/on screen that it receives stuff like 'Ctrl-X', etc? I gave up on it a few months ago but it just seems weird that I'm not able to interact with the ReWire client like I would with the VSTi - i.e., in the VSTi everything works as I would expect although I believe that ReWire will provide much better performance if I can get it to work in the same manner.

Thanks!
multip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:09 PM   #2
multip

tl; dr:

If anyone is using FL Studio in ReWire and able to use keyboard shortcuts in FL, please reply or send me a PM. I don't have any other apps to try out, but for example if Ableton didn't receive keyboard input when you first ReWired it in Reaper and then you did something that made it work, I would be very interested in that, too.
multip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:05 PM   #3
unkellsam

Yeah this is a huge problem and it totally kills the workflow.

I do not use Reaper but I can confirm that this is the same case with Cubase.

This shows that the problem is on FL's side and not the client side. I have been running FL Studio as a VST because of this, but you lose out on a lot of the useful features of rewire.

If anyone has a solution, please do share.
unkellsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:05 PM   #4
joe2

I've just tried this with Reaper v4.22 and FL Studio 10.0.9c, both as a VSTi and ReWired, and I'm having the same problem.

A quick search shows that the problem is pretty common.

Although I haven't yet done much research, there's what appears to be an official opinion from Image-Line (albeit a year old) in the comments here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7-mT3M80bY

"- Unfortunately because FL ReWire runs in the host process (like a plugin) the keyboard shortcuts are used by the host and don't make it to FL Studio."

My interpretation is that they're blaming the technology, rather than any particular implementation of it. But I've heard that older versions of FL Studio (i.e. FruityLoops) *did* work as expected in this regard, which might suggest that the responsibility *does* lie with Image-Line.

I'm sure that the REAPER devs could shed some light on this. (If they haven't already! I'll get searching ASAP.) Guys? :-)

It would, of course, be amazing to have keyboard shortcuts working in FL Studio while it's a slave to REAPER..

Cheers.
joe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:12 AM   #5
joe2

OK, I've just done a very quick test with REAPER and Reason ReWired as the slave.

Keyboard shortcuts work exactly as expected in Reason.

In addition, with FL Studio, Image-Line's YouTube comment says "the keyboard shortcuts are used by the host and don't make it to FL Studio" -- which implies that the keyboard shortcuts should be triggering actions in REAPER. In my case, they do not do this.

For these reasons, I'm tempted to think that the problem lies with FL Studio. This is reassuring on the one hand (ReWire isn't massively flawed in this regard; REAPER devs have got the basics under control as usual ;-), but troubling on the other (I've very little experience with FL Studio CS or bugfix turnaround time).

I'll check around Image-Line's support system and see if tickets have already been raised. If not, I'll raise one. In the meantime, I might try and check some other cases, or get the REAPER devs' opinion on this.

Cheers!
Old 05-01-2012, 10:25 AM   #6
joe2

Just a little update:

I found some more official feedback on the issue at the Image-Line forum. Long story short, they know about it, and might get around to fixing it, but I don't think it's a priority.

I posted about the issue here, but it hasn't seen any action since my contribution: http://forum.image-line.com/viewtopic.php?f=200&t=73062

I might post once more, and if it doesn't get addressed, post a proper bug report. Unfortunately, it seems nigh on impossible to do a proper search of their bug system. *sigh*
Old 05-01-2012, 11:15 AM   #7
Banned

Workaround: also capture all key input yourself at lower (system) level than the (focused) apps get them, and then use selected keys to trigger specific REAPER actions using a virtual OSC control surface and the /action [ID] message pattern. I'm doing this sort of thing with Pure data, and it works fine, although it is a bit cumbersome to setup and customize.