Old 03-30-2015, 10:09 PM   #1
edkilp
Human being with feelings

Default MT Power DrumKit

I downloaded this a long time ago. Installed it and had a short play. Wasn't overly impressed. The kick sounded like it had a bad cold. Since then I've purchased MDrummer, and it's become my go-to drum program. But from time to time, I get a bit bored, and in the mood for something different.
I installed MT Power DrumKit again, and I gotta say, for a free drum program, this is really good! I stuck it in a few projects and the kick no longer sounds nasally to me. I was demo-ing it before by itself, but in a mix, the kick and snare sound awesome. I still think the toms leave just a little to be desired, but I was able to get them sounding better with EQ.
I almost never completely get rid of something I download, and I'm glad I hung on to this one. I'm sure most of us would love to find one single drum program to handle everything we throw at it, but I think the reality is that some apps are better suited for a particular style and sound or two, and it's always a good idea to have more than one on hand.
So, this prompted me to reinstall DrumCore and Drummix as well, and I can honestly see these ones getting some use here, too.
Anyway, no real strong points to make, just wanted to express my gratitude for an excellent free drum VSTi, and I learned about its existence here in this forum.
edkilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:36 AM   #2
The Telenator
Banned

I expect that 'free' offering to disappear off the net -- that is, their whole site will be taken down at some point. The free license is only good for the PC you install it to.

Don't know what it sold for originally, but PowerDrum isn't bad for a cheaper -- even better free -- drum plugin. I agree about the kick. For one, it's set too low on their mixer.

Mainly, I just feel sorry for them that they went under for whatever reason.
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:27 AM   #3
edkilp

I'm also concerned about the activation. It's done online after you install. If the website goes away, it might be impossible to activate it in the event that it needs re-installed, after a computer format or whatever. I also doubt that they will do anything to make this possible if the whole project is being abandoned.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:24 AM   #4
suleiman

I got it for 39 or 60 USD (I forgot)... and I REALLY REALLY hope those guys do something else...maybe a V3.0 or something, coz they sure as hell can teach a thing or two about simple effective rock solid software.

Salamat
suleiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:39 AM   #5
edkilp

I agree. I really didn't care for it the first time I messed with it. But it really does sound awesome once you do a small amount of tweaking, especially on the kick drum. The way the composer thing works is very smart, and though I don't have EZ Drummer 2, their song builder looks an awful lot like this feature of MT PowerDrumKit.
I sent an email asking about the future of activating, so we'll see if they get back to me. All in all, it's a really nice tool to have, and hopefully someone will pick up where it left off, because it has a ton of potential.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:58 AM   #6
edkilp

I sent an email to these guys on March 31, and have not received a reply after a week. Kinda makes me wonder if they're defunct now. I would hate to just start to get a lot of use out of this drum kit, only to have it become impossible to activate in the future.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:07 PM   #7
Gazebo

I havent tried MT Power Kit, but +1 for Drummix
Old 04-07-2015, 12:19 PM   #8
Billy M

I use it all the time when i'm starting projects. I agree on the kick - i just EQ it a little to toughen it up. The composer and midi grooves that come with the package are outstanding and drum templates for whole songs can be laid out quickly. I also use it a lot to "drive" and compose for other drum plug-ins. It works great.

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks
Billy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:37 PM   #9
CrimsonFlak

Quote:
Originally Posted by edkilp View Post
I'm also concerned about the activation. It's done online after you install. If the website goes away, it might be impossible to activate it in the event that it needs re-installed, after a computer format or whatever. I also doubt that they will do anything to make this possible if the whole project is being abandoned.
Post removed; Theres been an update to the wonderful MTPowerDrum plugin.

Activation is skipped now.

http://www.powerdrumkit.com/download76187.php

Last edited by CrimsonFlak; 04-07-2017 at 09:36 PM.
CrimsonFlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:50 PM   #10
thequietroom

removdd at req of dev

Last edited by thequietroom; 04-08-2017 at 06:33 AM.
thequietroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:00 PM   #11
Time Waster

I've only just started using MTPowerDrumKit after reading about it in a few threads here. As a hobbyist, it's at the right price point for me! It sounds pretty good from my perspective and I like the fact that I can't mess with it too much (only the levels and the compression can be varied), otherwise I waste too much time fiddling with parameters and alternative samples of other drum VSTi's.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:21 PM   #12
edkilp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFlak View Post
then there will be more people using this fine drum vst, and hopefully in the future we get to see a v3.

I hope this eases the worries of it suddenly not working in the future, and allows people to use and enjoy it. Hope this info helps someone.
Wow, dude! That certainly helps me! Thanks a whole lot for that info. I hope to see a v3 as well. I admit that i hated the sound of these things when I first tried it. But it sure sounds good in a mix. Thanks again!

**Edit** Would I just find this string in the registry, then use the export to save it? And if so, do I save it as kdptm.reg?
Old 04-08-2015, 09:15 PM   #13
CrimsonFlak

Quote:
Originally Posted by edkilp View Post
**Edit** Would I just find this string in the registry, then use the export to save it?

Old 04-08-2015, 09:21 PM   #14
edkilp

Alrighty then! That's exactly what I did and exactly what I have. Thanks again. I was almost in a panic mode, checking their website every day to see if it's still there.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:33 PM   #15
Jeffsounds

EDIT: Wow... that was almost 2 years ago to the day! I was asked to edit this post by the makers of MT Power Drum Kit as they have decided to start supporting the kit again. They are also getting rid of the necessity to register so that's a good thing. More to come from them, I would guess.

Last edited by Jeffsounds; 04-08-2017 at 08:08 PM.
Jeffsounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:03 PM   #16
CrimsonFlak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsounds View Post
Thanks for that info! Does it work for other software that may go away?

Old 04-08-2015, 11:25 PM   #17
edkilp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFlak View Post
Hi. This will only work for things that happen to only write to the registry.

You will have to do a little detective work to figure out where and how your registration information is stored. It might be a new random file created in the applications folder, maybe inside My Documents, App Data, etc, or stored in the registry.

I like this little drum vst and was also worried about it suddenly not working, so i used RegShot before and after registering to compare, and find where this info was stored in the registry. I also tried to search my HD for files created during the day and hours of installation, nothing found, only that registry. Im no code / computer genius, my method wont work for everything, but im happy it works for this little gem.
Me too. I was digging around trying to figure out where the sounds and MIDI grooves were hiding, but of course that stuff is all embedded in a proprietary file format, like NI's .nki or whatever they are. Anyway, if this works, you saved me some frustration, and I appreciate it.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:05 AM   #18
Goldreap

I just tested this on a 2nd computer and WOW, this does indeed work.

Without this info I would have thought that just the contents of the original zip would have been enough, because apart from the dll etc in the plugin scan path there's no sign in the usual places of MT Power Drumkit actually being installed; and I had forgotten about the activation thing.

Many thanks.
Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 04:07 AM   #19
SonicAxiom

Good to know, Goldreap!

I'm trying to figure out a track template where I can use Power Drumkit as a main drum groove composing tool but where I'm also able to replace one or more of it's sounds with other samples on the fly if desired by placing another drum plugin/sampler right behind it in the fx list.

Has anybody done this already?
SonicAxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 05:17 AM   #20
Goldreap

I haven't done track templates but I guess you know that you can do output midi mapping manually from within MT and save/load the configurations. Or you can download (output) mapping presets for other drum programs from the site (which is still online).
These presets are not included with the program zip and should not to be confused with the included 'drum maps' which are actually 'note name' files for composing parts in Reaper's midi editor which will feed the plugin correctly.
Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 06:15 AM   #21
Mink99

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicAxiom View Post
Good to know, Goldreap!

I'm trying to figure out a track template where I can use Power Drumkit as a main drum groove composing tool but where I'm also able to replace one or more of it's sounds with other samples on the fly if desired by placing another drum plugin/sampler right behind it in the fx list.

Just sent the midi output to my mpc ....
Mink99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:20 AM   #22
morgon

Thanks from me too CF. Its a really useful plug, Ive done the reg save, put it in the zip file with the plug, gonna come in handy some day.
morgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 02:13 PM   #23
stratotak

I decided to upload plugin and reg info to Mediafire and Dropbox.Never know when site will be gone and not able to even download software.Then again you never know when Mediafire and Dropbox will disappear.
stratotak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 06:30 AM   #24
thequietroom

removed at Devs request
thequietroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 12:30 PM   #25
Edgemeal

Seems MTPDK2 was updated in March 2017, and instead of free activation code it now nags/begs for a donation...

Would love to see a newer version with same interface but more drum kits for low price.
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 01:17 PM   #26
Daniel Manda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
Seems MTPDK2 was updated in March 2017, and instead of free activation code it now nags/begs for a donation...
Hello,
I am Daniel, the developer of the plugin.
I would not call it "begging" but thanks anyway for providing this information about the update.

As you can see the activation / registration screen is skipable with the "SKIP" button at the bottom right corner. After skipping this splash screen all samples, grooves and features are fully usable.

The possibility to donate is entirely optional. But this is the only way we can provide further support (even for non-donators). Not having a support running was the initial reason for this discussion in this thread, so there has to be a compromise some way. I hope you understand that.

Quote:
Would love to see a newer version with same interface but more drum kits for low price.
Me too
But this is also a thing which needs investement. We are not a large company as you probably know NI or similar big developers. Most is done by freelancers. Plugin programming is not our main business profile, so if this product needs support or updates, it has to be financed somehow. Providing the OPTION for donating is the only compromise between keeping this version of the plugin free AND providing reliable support at the same time.
Daniel Manda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 08:10 PM   #27
Jeffsounds

I have a registered version of MT Power Drum Kit. How do I get the update? Will this put a splash screen if I do the update since I have a legally registered version?
Old 04-09-2017, 12:24 AM   #28
Daniel Manda

Quote:
I have a registered version of MT Power Drum Kit. How do I get the update? Will this put a splash screen if I do the update since I have a legally registered version?

The updated version can be downloaded here:

Just replace the old files.
The registration remains valid. So you won't see this screen.
In case you do for some reason, then just get a new key with your registered email address here:

http://www.powerdrumkit.com/activati...ivate76187.php

But I have to mention that apart from the skipable activation screen there has not been an update to the features. If you didn't notice any bugs or crashes, actually you have no reason to update. The update contains only a few bug fixes with other DAWs, for instance with Logic and FL Studio.
Daniel Manda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 06:14 AM   #29
FKAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Manda View Post
The updated version can be downloaded here:

Just replace the old files.
The registration remains valid. So you won't see this screen.
In case you do for some reason, then just get a new key with your registered email address here:

http://www.powerdrumkit.com/activati...ivate76187.php

But I have to mention that apart from the skipable activation screen there has not been an update to the features. If you didn't notice any bugs or crashes, actually you have no reason to update. The update contains only a few bug fixes with other DAWs, for instance with Logic and FL Studio.
Just watched the vid, I never knew it did that MIDI out thing! Thanks.
FKAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 02:19 PM   #30
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Manda View Post
Thank you for that info, Sir!
Old 04-09-2017, 11:12 PM   #31
CrimsonFlak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
I too would love to see this get some update love. It packs a lot of punch into a relatively small footprint, and free to boot.

My favorite non-multi-gb drumkits.
Old 10-05-2019, 01:07 PM   #32
davetbass

Sorry to resurrect this, and this is probably a very lazy question, but have people had luck using reaverb to match their dry instrument to the reverb on the MT Power drums? If I get close I'll post here, because the drums do sound good in my mix (70's hard rock kind of) thanks!
davetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 03:28 AM   #33
Shady Rhoads

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicAxiom View Post
Good to know, Goldreap!

I haven't done that to the T but I have a template for MTDrummer² and in the template I have a kick sample and snare sample track with the sample of each for the tracks they r assigned to. It's not the most efficient way I'm sure but I have to make a copy and paste where I want it. I usually just use the midi notes to align the sample kick with or/and snare. It is a bit time consuming but most drum lines are repetitive anyway so it doesn't take as long as one by one copy n drag sample into place.

Well thinking about it u can do as u r wanting. U would just have to activate the plug in via automation and deactivate the other at the same time. Vice-versa to go back like it was..

Last edited by Shady Rhoads; 10-07-2019 at 02:08 AM.
Shady Rhoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 06:07 PM   #34
reaperguy27

i just wish they added some claps or something. and a way to tweek the sounds a bit more. but for what it is i think it's pretty decent.
reaperguy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 02:15 AM   #35
Shady Rhoads

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetbass View Post
Sorry to resurrect this, and this is probably a very lazy question, but have people had luck using reaverb to match their dry instrument to the reverb on the MT Power drums? If I get close I'll post here, because the drums do sound good in my mix (70's hard rock kind of) thanks!
Didn't realize there was any verb on the MT Drummer² drums samples..

Seems easier I would think to just send the drums to a verb track and send the instruments with it..
I can't hear any verb on the Mtdrummer² myself..
Old 10-07-2019, 09:38 AM   #36
davetbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Rhoads View Post
Didn't realize there was any verb on the MT Drummer² drums samples..

Seems easier I would think to just send the drums to a verb track and send the instruments with it..
I can't hear any verb on the Mtdrummer² myself..
You're right I don't think any reverb was added to the drum samples, I think it's just some "room" around the drums, so I'm trying to get guitar and bass to sound like they are coming from the same place, but the drums are pretty dry,
davetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 01:38 PM   #37
SoundGuyDave

1) There are a few ways to "replace" the drum sounds...
Duplicate the midi track and on the dupe, add a RSM5K with the same MIDI note number as the drum you want to replace, and mute the original drum sound. Done. Or, render the MT kit to stems, and then do a trigger-replacement with ReaGate.

2) MT is a killer "free" (or next best thing) drum VST. If you want multiple kits or kit pieces to choose from, larger kits, percussion effects (hand-claps, finger snaps, etc), the ability to tune and manipulate the sample envelope, etc., it sounds like you want Addictive Drums or Superior Drummer. Kind of like asking why you can't get that thick low-mid Les Paul sound out of your Telecaster. Use the right tool for the job.

3) Yes, MT sounds like a dry recording to me as well, but that's an easy fix. Just do the multi-output thing and you can play with verbs to your heart's content. Much better than a "production ready" drum kit with all the verbs built into the samples. Good luck trying to match that!
SoundGuyDave is offline   Reply With Quote