Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 04-25-2016, 02:19 PM   #1
Airal
Banned

Default Migrating plugin data to newer plugin version or installs

I have had to re-install some plugins and now when I open reaper on some projects it tells me that the plugins are missing.(shows the zz symbol)

These new plugins are still there but either the version changed, plugin install location, architecture(x86 -> vst2 or vst3).

In any case, reaper doesn't find a match between the plugin used in the project and the newer ones even though essentially nothing has changed.

Is there a way to "replace" the plugin but retain the saved data with the original? (even editing the rpp would be better than nothing)

Main reason is I can't surely remember all the settings for older projects and have many "broken" FX, yet all the data is still there. (keeping the older version of plugins is probably out of the question and the installer already deleted them.

Any ideas? I think in my specific case, it was just a vst2 to vst3 change.
Airal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 02:42 PM   #2
DaveKeehl
Human being with feelings

As far as I know when you replace a plugin (even with itself) you lose the settings. If you could open the old plugins I would suggest you to take note of the values, but if you say you can't I think there's no way back. But again, maybe someone has an idea.
DaveKeehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 02:51 PM   #3
Airal
Banned

I wonder if anyone can confirm if the data from different versions is "encoded" differently?

I imagine that the programmers for the plugins would use the exact same saving algorithm across all the different versions of their plugins, if the plugins themselves do the serialization of data?

I think I recall trying to edit the rpp file and have it use the new plugin and the old data and it didn't work ;/

What about automation? That gets lost too? ;/

Seems there has to be a better way to maintain project quality over years.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:59 PM   #4
DaveKeehl

If you can't use an inserted plugin you still have your automation but if they controlled the fx then they're pointless. It reminds me when I switched from Ozone 6 to Ozone 7...
Old 04-25-2016, 04:55 PM   #5
Airal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKeehl View Post
If you can't use an inserted plugin you still have your automation but if they controlled the fx then they're pointless. It reminds me when I switched from Ozone 6 to Ozone 7...
Yeah, that's basically the point, and the problems is that when you go open up old projects 5 years old and have upgraded all your plugins then what?
What about 10 years after you create your hit and it needs to be on guitar hero 2020? Tough luck or you'll have to try and recreate the sound by guessing the settings... or try and get the old versions of the plugins...

Either way it is setting up some people for big problems in the future and just seems a terrible way to deal with settings.
Old 04-26-2016, 01:31 AM   #6
ivansc

Having recently gotten bitten by this one (waves going VST3) and losing a bunch of settings, I would vote for any FR that came up with a way of dealing with this.
Have a nasty feeling it would mean a complete re-vamp of the way the plugin settings are stored right now though.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:06 AM   #7
DaveKeehl

It's a pain the ass and I can't see a solution
Old 04-26-2016, 02:23 AM   #8
exidus

I dont think this can be addressed with a FR.. Its the job of every plugin developer to carry the compatibility throughout the plugin version evolution. The reality is that with some its not possible (too many different parameters/function) others dont care and even want you to pay them for the New, INcompatible version, forcing producers to choose between keeping old Win XP machines running and reworking (or worst - ditching) years of old projects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Having recently gotten bitten by this one (waves going VST3) and losing a bunch of settings, I would vote for any FR that came up with a way of dealing with this.
@ivansc - Waves still have the VST 2.4 versions alongside the VST3 ones.
BTW, this is partly why Waves are keeping up all these years (besides SOME nice sounding stuff)... They carried the compatibility for the major part in their evolution even when they rewritten completely the codes on the old VSTs thus enabling proffessional producers in big studios to carry seamlessly with their work. There are plugins that sounds better than Waves, for sure.. But the fact that you can load project made 4 years ago on a machine running the latest versions without the need to keep old stuff on your system gives them advantage.

Last edited by exidus; 04-26-2016 at 02:35 AM.
exidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:07 AM   #9
Heart Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airal View Post
These new plugins are still there but either the version changed, plugin install location, architecture(x86 -> vst2 or vst3).
My experience from similar plugin version changes:
  • Plugins stored in new location: Makes no difference
  • 32bit --> 64bit: Makes no difference
  • VST2 --> VST3: This breaks the project, just as you assumed

I went from VST2 to VST3 in case of Waves plugins years ago when I worked with Cubase. In case of Waves the settings of both plugin versions are identical. You can copy the settings from the VST2 plugin an paste it into the VST3 version:

1. Install the VST2 versions as well as the VST3 versions
2. Load the project (it will load the VST2 plugins)
3. Open a track containing a Waves VST2 plugin
4. Add the related VST3 plugin to the track (next to the VST2)
5. VST2 plugin: Click [Save] > [Copy Preset]
6. VST3 plugin: Click [Load] > [Paste Preset]
7. Remove the VST2 plugin from the track

This way you can replace the unwanted VST2 plugins one by one. Not an elegant solution, but reliable.

I am not sure if other plugin makers also use identical settings files for VST2 and VST3 versions, but it is worth a try.

Last edited by Heart Doctor; 05-01-2016 at 09:51 AM.
Heart Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:39 PM   #10
aspiringSynthesisingAlch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airal View Post
I have had to re-install some plugins and now when I open reaper on some projects it tells me that the plugins are missing.(shows the zz symbol)

Any ideas? I think in my specific case, it was just a vst2 to vst3 change.

I have an idea, do you have a backup of the installed plugins?

Can you share that with a project that references the defunct, upgraded vsts?
aspiringSynthesisingAlch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:21 AM   #11
vitalker

Did you try this one? http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=1787382
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 08:45 PM   #12
Goldreap

Fairly old thread but FWIW, I found that going from VST2 to VST3, presets saved in reaper (with the + button top of the FX window) don't transfer, but presets saved within the plugin itself do transfer.
Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote