Old 10-07-2010, 08:01 AM   #1
funkymonkey
Human being with feelings

Default Dropping PT for Reaper!

I bought Reaper a while back and also had Protools HD..

I see that there's alot of DUC defectors on here, as PT slowly slumps into the floor, a sort of Dinosaur software that people tell you, you have to use as its Industry standard..!

I'm now selling my whole rig due to buying a $60 software that dumps all over PT!

I dont need to record bands, but more processing etc and Reaper is fast, and very agile - plus it does everything you can think of - theres a right click for it!!

As my HD rig was big, with older Mac Pro, im feeling a little knot in my stomach, slightly sad (although I never really used PT) but its just a big upheavel

Im planning on scaling down an using Reaper on a Macbook Pro for speed as I just use VST's and audio

Please guys tell me i've done the right thing (part of me thinks so with the new HD|Native thing thats appeared!)

Anyway Justin, Reaper dev's etc - I am in your hands!!!! I know deep down you won't disappoint, and were all getting excited about v4

I just need you guys as fellow (and maybe more experienced Reaper users) that everything will be ok and that Reaper is the future ;o)
PT does look dead a little now, even though its still widely used. I did think mixing in PT was the answer, but Reaper takes on PT in this respect too!

And dumping into PT was a pain, when you needed a audio region to be a bit longer, and Elastic Audio messed up the sound!

Thanks for the cuddle and someone slap me before i get tearful..

Last edited by funkymonkey; 10-07-2010 at 08:24 AM.
funkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:39 AM   #2
musicbynumbers

Glad to hear it!

Also do a search for the "sws" extension plus finger's groove extension and we also have great extensions for most control surfaces that go beyond the included ones (pc only for most).

Enjoy
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:45 AM   #3
airon

What are your needs ?

You can hardly go wrong with Reaper, and super fast direct monitoring can be had for the price of a decent Allen&Heath mixer, and digitally with many interfaces, particular those of RME, Motu, and even the little MBox3 interface Avid just put out. They all have DSP based routing mixers similar to RMEs totalmix.

So, what do you intend to do ?
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:08 AM   #4
funkymonkey

Thanks for your replies..

Yes im feeling a little better about it now, I think its just that with the HD rig, its with the Mac Pro also so its a big upheavel

Although PT Native released still looks a poor man's Reaper! so im probably leaving a sinking ship with Avid!

I was thinking of a USB MOTU 828 as i've used one before and USB as im on a Macbook Pro..

Im now in your hands, Reaperites!
Old 10-07-2010, 09:22 AM   #5
hopi

motu is 'ok'... but... do take a look at the m-audio fast track 8R... [biggest model they make in that series]

save a few bucks and get the job done as good [or better]... ummm, no ADAT, you would have to go to the profire 2626 if you need ADAT in and out... otherwise you would be golden...

Now either of the m-audio's will also allow you to run PT M powerd on either a Mac or PC... just in case you wanted to revisit your past a little

Shop around and save a few bucks as well.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:45 AM   #6
funkymonkey

I did like the Motu but the USB one it will have to be as Firewire 400 is out on the newer MBP's

I want to use the Optical in/out if I can, something I used to do on my Mac Pro with a 2ch optical cable from say Ableton and also Reaper open (as my recorder)

I would record 'live' from Ableton loops and synths directly (digital) into Reaper and it worked great, a bit like Tape!! I could mess with things on the fly and record them into Reaper!

So with a MBP and a MOTU 828mk2, i want to take the standard optical out again (digital) from the headphone out (i think it is?) using Ableton or Logic, and go optically into Reaper which is using the MOTU

So i can record live from one to the other almost as 2 seperate programs and DAW's BUT its all on the one?

Does that make sense? - all worked great on my Mac Pro, so would think that the MBP is exactly the same?
Old 10-07-2010, 11:29 AM   #7
musicbynumbers

I think focusrite do a decent range for the price.
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:51 PM   #8
Kenny Gioia

For me, the best thing about Pro Tools was the DSP and TDM plugins.

Reaper is the best Native DAW you can buy at any price.

You did the right thing.

Personally I think Avid is making a huge mistake if they go Native.
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 02:01 AM   #9
funkymonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
For me, the best thing about Pro Tools was the DSP and TDM plugins.

Reaper is the best Native DAW you can buy at any price.

You did the right thing.

Personally I think Avid is making a huge mistake if they go Native.
Thanks Kenny.. got over the initial shock now, but coming from someone like yourself who is a PT user, thats good to know..

If i wanted to dive in, i know PTLE will have some new tricks up its sleeve in the next months, but tbh Reaper all the way now...!
Old 10-08-2010, 04:22 AM   #10
kenzo

I've been off the Pro Tools for a couple years now... the biggest obstacle to the change was my own prejudice that a very reasonably priced DAW couldn't be as good (better!) as an expensive one.
kenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:23 AM   #11
funkymonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenzo View Post
I've been off the Pro Tools for a couple years now... the biggest obstacle to the change was my own prejudice that a very reasonably priced DAW couldn't be as good (better!) as an expensive one.
Thats it exactly! and to why i maybe felt a bit low once getting rid!

All on the day I got rid of a HD set up, was the same day that HD Native came out! (lucky escape?)