Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 03-18-2017, 06:01 PM   #1
Airal
Banned

Default Import multitrack without single or seperate tracks

When I have to import a lot of multitracks it asks this for each one. I'd rather it not ask at all or ask only once per "drag".

e.g., if I drag 20 MT files in to reaper it asks for each one requiring me to be at the computer the whole time and mainly watching reaper load the files... which wastes my time. I don't mind it as an option or simply have a checkbox on the dialog that asks that says "Apply to all" type of thing.

Thanks.
Airal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:06 PM   #2
Airal
Banned

Also, be able to stop the playback while importing... VERY annoying to import a few tracks and to be bombarded with 100+dB without any way to stop it except turn off the monitors... which is not easy in some cases.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:21 AM   #3
Coachz
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airal View Post
Also, be able to stop the playback while importing... VERY annoying to import a few tracks and to be bombarded with 100+dB without any way to stop it except turn off the monitors... which is not easy in some cases.
Can't you stop before you import ?
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:21 AM   #4
Airal
Banned

You can, but what if you forget? And you import 20 long multitracks that takes 20 mins? and each time they add to the sound and it eventually builds and builds AND it is then impossible to get reaper to stop playing. It shouldn't be like this because the solution is extremely simple. Simply do not make the import dialog modal. It's like changing 1 word in the program. So, yes, I can... but that means nothing.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:34 AM   #5
serr

MT files?

Is this a format for packing multiple files (multitrack) into a single file?

Curious what you're using.

Drag/dropping multiple single item files of multitrack gets you the single/separate prompt once of course. There's nothing to 'decode' and no issue with playback.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:07 AM   #6
Airal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
MT files?

Is this a format for packing multiple files (multitrack) into a single file?

Curious what you're using.

Drag/dropping multiple single item files of multitrack gets you the single/separate prompt once of course. There's nothing to 'decode' and no issue with playback.
Nothing to decode for you and no issues with play back for you. Doesn't mean that is true for me. Your experiences are not mine.

Try getting about 30 mogg files and drag and drop them all at once(rather than one at a time, as that takes 30 times longer).

Make sure you have hit play first! Then lets see if your experiences are the same.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:58 PM   #7
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airal View Post
Nothing to decode for you and no issues with play back for you. Doesn't mean that is true for me. Your experiences are not mine.

Try getting about 30 mogg files and drag and drop them all at once(rather than one at a time, as that takes 30 times longer).

Make sure you have hit play first! Then lets see if your experiences are the same.
I was asking about the format.

So, mogg then!

I take it Reaper recognizes this and asks if you want single/separate tracks and splits it apart into individual files?

And you want to drag/drop 30 of them and end up with banks of multitrack lined up sequentially? (Like if you drag/dropped marquee selected groups of normal separate multitrack files. And did that 30 times sequentially.)

Fair enough!
(No experience with mogg here, sorry!)
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:36 PM   #8
Airal
Banned

Yes, mogg is just multiple ogg files. But when you simply drag the files from a file manager to reaper, it lines them up and separates them and all that. That is not the issue.

The issue is the processing when it does this not what it does when it loads it. It takes about 30s-1m to load the mogg's. If you drag and drop 30 moggs then your looking at around 30 mins when you cannot interest with reaper except to say "yes" to the command prompt to load the next mogg file.

This means if you can't leave half way through because when you come back 15 of the files will still have to be loaded. Hence, reaper can just add an "apply to all" check box and when checked, it assumes you will say yes to all of them. This is standard stuff and I shouldn't have to explain to you how it works, specially since I doubt you have any say so in the matter. This is just a few lines of code that is required to be added to reaper to enable this feature.

Second. While the loading takes place, one cannot stop reaper playback. This means, for 30 mins you have to hear the total mix of all the moggs being played back(well, they stack as they load). This eventually reaches 100+db until reaper mutes the track but gets very loud for a long time since the loading is slow(so you heard nothing, the first song, then the first+second song, etc).

Simply making the progress dialog non-modal would do the trick. This is another 1 line of code.

So, the benefit far outweighs the cost and would save a few people a headache.