Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 01-21-2012, 07:48 PM   #1
sostenuto
Human being with feelings

Default Why Multiple VSTi Do Not appear after Save and Open ...

Only 9 mos with Reaper, Omnisphere, Stylus, other plug-ins. Early with Kenny G tutorial but followed his Project settings for audio. Just loaded default 8x8 track VSTi for both Omni and Stylus as well as two other simple keyboard VST. All played properly, did test audio recording, saved Project and closed Reaper. Restarted and all tracks open as expected, including audio .wav. file. VSTi screens do not appear. When I select View / FX Browser / Omnisphere .... Omniphere and one keyboard VST appear, but not StylusRMX (even though all of its tracks and recorded MIDI data are present). When I again select View / FX Browser / then Stylus RMX, (2)instances open, (1) has saved loop selection, (1) one has default.

What am I doing improperly and how do I get Reaper to Save and Open any or all of the VST(i) which were open at Save ??

Tom B
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:08 PM   #2
Mr. Data

Didn't try it 'cos I never had that issue, but it might help if you rename one of the VSTi instances.

-Data
Old 01-21-2012, 11:23 PM   #3
chrisharbin

Hmmmmmmmmm. Is it possible that you accidentally had two instances open? Forgive but I'm reaching for straws. I'll set up a quick stylus and see what happens.
chrisharbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:52 AM   #4
sostenuto

Thank-you for getting involved. I'll double and triple check, but normal process (when not loading a Saved Project) is to open a clean Reaper, then Track / Insert virtual instrument on new track / select Omnisphere (16 0ut) / approve Build Routing Confirmation / ...
.... repeat for StylusRMX ..... repeat for one or two simple (one track) keyboard VST.

I just did this again, recorded a short audio, Saved a new Project name, closed ALL Projects. Shut Reaper down, restarted Reaper, Opened Saved Project, all is as Saved, including MIDI and Audio tracks, but no VST(i) Splash/Opening Screens appear. My question: Is there an option when saving the project to cause them to appear at subsequent opens ? If not, what process to open the 3 or 4 VST(i) and have only the prior 'saved' instance come open ?
(( This is clearly important as it would already contain (8) saved patches plus their assigned MIDI channels ... avoiding duplicate steps. This will increase importance later this week when Trilian arrives, also offering (8) tracks of saved patches. ))

I just tried the View / FX Browser selection again, for the single track keyboard VST, and (2) instances opened. I can select and remove (1), but would need to check each version _ for each VST(i), to make sure to keep the desired instances.

__ edit __{ maybe should have noted initially ..... I'm following routine Reaper Forum advice to be careful with multiple instances of VST(i) due to CPU impact. I've avoided opening instances on multiple tracks }
Tom B

Last edited by sostenuto; 01-22-2012 at 11:11 AM. Reason: addition
Old 01-22-2012, 12:48 PM   #5
chrisharbin

The only thing I'm confused on is it almost sounds like you are opening a project (with stylus) and then doing a template as well. I know that the gui take a while to open in stylus (I'm sure that has nothing to do with this but I'm just trying to think of everything)
Old 01-22-2012, 01:52 PM   #6
sostenuto

I am very sure the VST(i) main screens opened in past. Otherwise I would not have been able to confirm the (8) Mixer assignments 1-to-A, 2-to-B ... 8-to-H WITHOUT having to 'View' FX Browser. I never had to do this before.

Just tried a single Omnisphere test, saved brief Audio, Saved Project ..... Closed all Projects, Opened test project and no VST(i) screen. 'View' FX Browser opens (2) Omni screens; (1) with assigned Ch 1-to-A patch and (1) with no assigned patch.

Also tried saving Omni/Stylus/keyboard ... new project as Template. Same issue when loaded.

Frustrated because my recent problems have been Op-error, but have gone over this one so many times a with same result.

Tom B
Old 01-22-2012, 02:15 PM   #7
sostenuto

Hey guys ..... I better bail and sort this further. Just opened project posted back in April by 'hopi' ... trying to help other members with 8 x 8 track MIDI and Audio Omnisphere setup. I just opened from his original project and Omnisphere screen opens immediately with previously assigned MIDI channels, etc. Clearly Reaper is acting as expected, but no clue where the menu setting is to make this happen. Here is his (hopi) original post and link from last April 17.

https://stash.reaper.fm/8403/Omni%208...%20revised.zip

Tom B
Old 01-22-2012, 04:49 PM   #8
carvingCode

I have a few projects with multiple instances of the same VSTi. When I reload those projects, the VSTi's windows/GUI don't open, but the VSTi patches are active and playable.
carvingCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:39 PM   #9
sostenuto

I can live with having to do the View _ FX Browser routine in order to re-open each VSTi and continue with the Project, but need to understand why the project 'hopi' created and posted in April seems to get around this.

Even so, if only one plugin opens, it is only part of the solution since the 2nd, 3rd, xxxx Vst(i) must still be manually reopened. This is what I hope to get clarified to avoid lots of wasted time going forward. Yes, I hear the appropriate patch (after Open Project) with keyboard input, but cannot proceed until plugins are all open and displaying current details.

Tom B
Old 01-23-2012, 08:29 AM   #10
sostenuto

Forgetting my original post ...... what is the basic, default Preference / Menu that causes VST(i) splash / open screens to display in typical newly opened projects when they are saved and reopened?
I will stay busy searching every Preference item I can check to try to see what has changed on my v4.15 setup.

Tom B
Old 01-23-2012, 01:50 PM   #11
sostenuto

Heard of possible FX issues so loaded new v4.16 Pre5 64-bit .... but seems to be same and no improvement. Hope someone has a miraculous Preference / Setting suggestion to get my VST screens back at Project reopen.

Tom B
Old 01-24-2012, 10:05 AM   #12
schwa
Administrator

If you save a project with any plugin UIs open, the project should load with the same plugin UIs open in the same location. There isn't any setting for this.

For a simple test, if you open REAPER, create a new project, insert one track, insert ReaEQ, leave the ReaEQ UI open, save the project, then reload the project, does it load with ReaEQ open?
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:27 AM   #13
sostenuto

Thank-you for confirming this and in complete terms matching my uncertainty.
Yes, when I proceed as you asked, the project opens as expected. I will once again try the process with a clean load of Omnisphere and StylusRMX, 8 MIDI and 8 Audio for each, add some MIDI/audio, save project and reload.

I appreciate your input and hope this next test works as expected as well. I will post immediately one way or the other.

Regards,
Tom B
Old 01-24-2012, 12:00 PM   #14
sostenuto

Test with Omni & StylusRMX + MIDI & audio worked perfectly. Now I'm embarrassed, frustrated, and more since I (and my Reaper ignorance) must be at core of this issue.

When the plugins open (splash screen) an additional smaller Reaper screen opens (FX: Track xx "Plugin name"). I am unfamiliar with when and how the available options are to be used ..... which totally my responsibility to figure out. Am I causing the problem I experienced by closing these FX windows? Now when I just closed them and tried to save the project I get a Reaper error: Error creating project file! Not saved! I did not get this error previously or would have know there was an issue and tried to resolve it.

Sorry!! Somehow this must be involved in my problem but surprised it did not always arise previously. I'm headed for the User manual and hoping to find the appropriate instruction.

edit _ this is new FX window now opening with Omnisphere .. 'Bridged plug-in may be open in top level'

Tom B

Last edited by sostenuto; 09-16-2017 at 08:06 AM.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:14 PM   #15
schwa
Administrator

Hi TFB37 .. it looks like you are running 64-bit REAPER, with 32-bit Omnisphere (x64 means 64-bit, x86 means 32-bit). Doing this requires using REAPER's plugin bridge

The plugin bridge is a way to run plugins that would otherwise be incompatible. Using the bridge can cause minor UI issues, because the plugin is actually running in a separate process that communicates with REAPER through a sort of side door.

I believe there is a 64-bit version of Omnisphere. Are you intentionally running the 32-bit Omnisphere? If this is unintentional, you should remove Omnisphere from the project and load the 64-bit version of Omnisphere instead. I think that will probably solve any problems you are having with plugin UIs not opening automatically when you load a project.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:22 PM   #16
chrisharbin

Omni/rmx (as well as trilian) are all x64.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:03 PM   #17
sostenuto

Very likely an issue and I was going to ask about this shortly.
There was one earlier update (Omnisphere I believe) which had some issues when only the 64-bit VSTi was selected. Both 64 & 32 bit choices were made and the 'update' issue disappeared. I subsequently chose both VST targets when adding or updating Spectrasonics programs. Will remove 32-bit VST(s) and expect resolution of the issue.

Many thanks for the clarification.

Tom B

Last edited by sostenuto; 01-24-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:47 AM   #18
sostenuto

Really want to say thanks for solving this issue which was blocking progress and yet so fundamental. Reaper community support is far beyond expectations and a major reason to be so happy with the choice.

Both systems performing well now after eliminating 32-bit VSTs (by renaming for now) and confirming that projects are loading properly.
Just finished a truly enjoyable session with Reaper v4.16 Pre5, Trilian, and Ivory Italian Grand. This is what it's all about !

Now back to the User Manual and Tutorials ...........

Best regards,
Tom B
Old 01-25-2012, 03:19 PM   #19
chrisharbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFB37 View Post
Really want to say thanks for solving this issue which was blocking progress and yet so fundamental. Reaper community support is far beyond expectations and a major reason to be so happy with the choice.

Both systems performing well now after eliminating 32-bit VSTs (by renaming for now) and confirming that projects are loading properly.
Just finished a truly enjoyable session with Reaper v4.16 Pre5, Trilian, and Ivory Italian Grand. This is what it's all about !

Now back to the User Manual and Tutorials ...........

Best regards,
Tom B
Wonderful!