Old 04-03-2007, 08:15 AM   #1
mzocoh
Human being with feelings

Default Monitoring Issue . . . Doubled.

Okay - I've tried everything I can think of to no avail - maybe someone here has the answer . . .

I've made sure that my sound card mixer (Terratec ADAT) is not passing the hardware input signal to the monitoring buss in Reaper, also I've made sure that I'm not hearing anything but the Reaper master buss outputs in my mixer (which also is the mic input) but when I record arm a track I'm hearing a double signal, however this signal is not being recorded double - when I play back the recorded track it sounds right. I've checked the routing everywhere & cannot find a reason for this. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited by mzocoh; 04-03-2007 at 08:32 AM.
mzocoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:26 AM   #2
RedStone

do you have any plug-ins running on the track you are arming?
usually reverb or delay plug-ins and sometimes analog simulators will do that to tracks while recording.

it just introduces latency --
Old 04-03-2007, 08:30 AM   #3
mzocoh

No - it's a dry signal. I have noticed that when I add some plug-ins that the latency will increase the doubling effect, but this is happening apart from that.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:35 AM   #4
happymonkey

Without knowing more about the mixer I'll just take a guess...

Do you have the mic channel assigned to main L/R? If you do, that's probably why you're hearing the source material and the return path from Reaper. While you're recording, turn off the main L/R assignment and just listen to the mic channel thorough the return path.

hm
happymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:38 AM   #5
mzocoh

Nope, I have the mic signal routed to the alt buss (it's a mackie 1404) & that is not routed to the L/R main buss. The only signal present at the main mixer output is the master send from Reaper.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:40 AM   #6
happymonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzocoh View Post
Nope, I have the mic signal routed to the alt buss (it's a mackie 1404) & that is not routed to the L/R main buss. The only signal present at the main mixer output is the master send from Reaper.
Where is the alt bus routed to?

hm
happymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:48 AM   #7
mzocoh

To the control room / phones. But it's only enabled while I'm not using the software. I only monitor the direct signal while setting levels intially - after that it's off. In fact, I've now taken the mixer almost completely out of the picture - I'm plugging the mic direct into the AD/DA input. My AD software mixer is only monitoring the wave outputs from Reapers master buss - all direct input monitoring is off. Same issue.

Last edited by mzocoh; 04-03-2007 at 09:01 AM.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:48 PM   #8
manning1

mzocoh..hope i understood u correctly...
i dont know if this will help....
but i dont use your terratec.
but give it a try.
on the tcp youll notice a record monitoring button
to the left of the vu meter where u see the incoming
signal level. try switching it to one of the other modes.
mebe try off.
hover the mouse over the record monitoring button..what does the tooltip show ??
manning1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 05:42 PM   #9
mzocoh

hi manning - thanks for the suggestion, but I did try that quite a while ago & same result.

I've decided I may be going a little bit crazy. I recorded (through a mixer aux) a message while monitoring & then recorded the playback of that message & when I play both back for comparison I now here no difference at all - both sound right. I've been recording (sometimes professionally) for a decade & have never been overly aware of the sound of my own voice if I was recording it, but that may be exactly what's happening here -I think I've grown more sensitive to the internal sounds of my voice & how they are combining with the monitored sound through the phones, so it's sounding a bit doubled (there is the 3 or so ms of hardware latency). The recording dosen't lie - there is, in fact. no dofference in the monitor signal & the recded signal. Perhaps my ears are just more sensitive lately!

I'll try it once more with a signal that dosen't sound aloud (like a keyboard) - if the monitoring sounds right, I think I've got this solved. Thanks for all the input!

mzocoh

Last edited by mzocoh; 04-03-2007 at 05:46 PM.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:54 PM   #10
manning1

mz...
could u run this test please....??
tell me if the prob goes away.
hook up a synth to line input of sound device.....
(try n leave the mixer out of the equation for now...)
then hook up a cassette dek to output of sound device for monitoring output mix from reaper.
plug phones into cassette dek.
tell me if the prob goes away.
just trying to help.
manning1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:53 PM   #11
mzocoh

Yeah, that's kind of the test I was mentioning in the post above, though it's nice to be confirmed - I may try it, but this system is going to be gone tomorrow anyhow - it's a small studio setup I'm doing for a friend. I'm quite sure that my recording comparison proved that it's just my being suddenly more sensitive to the source sound, but I'll hook up a keyboard once I've got the computer hooked up in the new studio setting & try that too. Thanks manning for the suggestions.

mzocoh