Old 04-14-2015, 09:46 AM   #1
mikeroephonics
Human being with feelings

Default Spare parts for Keystation Pro 88?

Hi. I own an M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 MIDI controller keyboard. Unfortunately the modwheel is broken. It erratically broadcasts CC mod values when the wheel is at rest. I believe I banged it years ago, but who knows.

I tried using this to clean it, but it didn't help:
http://www.lpslabs.com/product-details/582
It's otherwise a great product for cleaning potentiometers and other electrical parts.

Here's the part I'm looking for, which is out of stock at this vendor:
http://syntaur.com/Items/4851.html

I can't find the part anywhere else on the web and M-Audio discontinued the KSP 88 Pro years ago. It's a great MIDI controller, and I want to prolong its life as long as possible. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 04-15-2015, 04:05 PM   #2
cyrano

Are you sure this is a potentiometer?

By the looks of it, it could also be some type of encoder. Does it have "clickstops" when you turn it?

A temporary solution could be to replace each pot with a couple of resistors to stop the sysex messages, if these are pots.
cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 12:13 AM   #3
ivansc

Almost certainly a BCD encoder.

Have a look at the blue part on yours and see if you can identify the manufacturer & you might well get at the very least a spec out of them.
I would be surprised if you couldnt figure out some sort of replacement.

Oh and of course I assume you already swapped the ribbon cables over on the 2 wheels to make sure it IS just the bcd switch?
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 10:48 AM   #4
mikeroephonics

Thanks for the replies. All I've done so far is opened it up once to spray the modwheel assembly with electrical contact spray. That didn't help. I had to reassemble the entire unit to test this since it's basically impossible to test while disassembled.

I opened it up a second time to disconnect the cable from the modwheel assembly (I remapped CC Mod to a vertical fader on the KSP 88 Pro.)

I'm not completely sure if it's a potentiometer or not, but I'm almost certain that something is broken in whatever the mechanism is.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 04-23-2015, 04:47 AM   #5
cyrano

If it is an encoder and if it behaves spooky, my bet is on a broken flatcable. If one of the traces breaks, even the slightest movement will produce intermittent contact and the decoder goes haywire...

Have a really close look at the traces. These can be repaired with some conductive ink or glue IF you can find the broken spot.
cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:48 AM   #6
ivansc

...or just paint over all of them. Messy, but pretty much guaranteed to work if that IS the problem.

And he i of course right. BCD encoders dont often go wrong partially. usually it works or it dont sorta thing.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote