Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 12-16-2011, 09:35 AM   #1
Leo
Human being with feelings

Default Steven Slate Drums - upgrading to 4.0 etc

Well. The man himself is dropping constant hints on Twitter at a new version coming out any one of the these days now.

I was looking to buy SSD 3.5 but now I saw Audio Deluxe selling the licenses at half price on eBay ($44 for EX and $125 for Platinum). It's only available for 2 days, which has lead me to believe SSd4 might come out in two days.

Now do you suppose it's cheaper to buy Platinum at $125 and then buy an upgrade in a few days or just to wait for the new version? How much do you think SSD4 Platinum will go for? Any guesses on the upgrade?

What do you think about this whole thing?
Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:35 AM   #2
vassago

Slate are as usually very quiet...no one has details we only know it's coming soon.

The only thing we have is that Slate himself posted on his blog that 4.0 will give one hell of a run for their money "other" drum software, even those with "superior" in their name. His pun, not mine

Upgrade pricing will most likely be the same same in the end as if purchasing new or at least very close. Personally, I'd wait...Slate is going to be flooded in the first few days and you won't be getting you 4.0 license the same day you order the upgrade for sure.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:46 PM   #3
Leo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vassago View Post
Upgrade pricing will most likely be the same same in the end as if purchasing new or at least very close.
I figure that'd be the case if I bought it new in the ~$300 range, but those deals on eBay are pretty sweet. I mean, $125 for Platinum?! If the update is $150 that's still under $300 and I don't think 4.0 will go for less than $350.

This is a massive dilemma for me I mean, I'd love to have SSD without Kontakt but I'm fine with the 3.5 library for now, so I could have that rather cheaply now. Or I could wait and take my chances, but I just don't think they're gonna put their new stuff out very cheap...seeing how it's christmas and all
Old 12-17-2011, 06:54 AM   #4
robo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
Well. The man himself is dropping constant hints on Twitter at a new version coming out any one of the these days now.

I was looking to buy SSD 3.5 but now I saw Audio Deluxe selling the licenses at half price on eBay ($44 for EX and $125 for Platinum). It's only available for 2 days, which has lead me to believe SSd4 might come out in two days.

Now do you suppose it's cheaper to buy Platinum at $125 and then buy an upgrade in a few days or just to wait for the new version? How much do you think SSD4 Platinum will go for? Any guesses on the upgrade?

What do you think about this whole thing?
Are you planning to use SSD 3.5 at all or just trying to save money on v4? I have 3.5 EX and two expansions I got for $99 in like 2009 or something. It does sound pretty dated now but the cymbals are still cool. At any rate Slate is very cool about upgrade pricing even for "lesser" users like us EX'ers.

Since I really only used the Bonham kits I found the analoguedrums.com Plastique set to be more useful.

-robo
robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:52 AM   #5
henge

I got Trigger EX when it was on sale and I'm not crazy about the sounds that came with it. Waaaaay to much processing for my tastes.
I use BFD because the sounds are beautifully recorded raw sounds that I can then make my own.
Hopefully Slate will come with less processed sounds.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:50 PM   #6
Mercado_Negro

SSD4 is gonna be awesome...
Old 12-18-2011, 02:57 AM   #7
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by robo View Post
Since I really only used the Bonham kits I found the analoguedrums.com Plastique set to be more useful.
Ooooh yeah, now you're talking... I'm amazed by the Analogue Drums stuff.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:06 AM   #8
Leo

Quote:
Are you planning to use SSD 3.5 at all or just trying to save money on v4? I have 3.5 EX and two expansions I got for $99 in like 2009 or something. It does sound pretty dated now but the cymbals are still cool. At any rate Slate is very cool about upgrade pricing even for "lesser" users like us EX'ers.
Well, I would only buy Platinum 3.5 so I can get 4.0 more cheaply by upgrading I'd love to get rid of Kontakt which I find a bit clumsy.

If the upgrade is somehow ridiculously expensive I'd just stick with 3.5 until there's a sale. The sale is still on, 125$ for the d/l version. I'm really itchin' to buy but Slate obviously is not giving any pricing for an upgrade so I haven't yet done so.

I like the pre-processed drums, saves me some time and I can't get the same results with raw wavs that Slate offers anyway. They sound good as they are and there's enough variety for my purposes. I have Battery 3 that has a bunch of raw kits and can load free sample kits into it too, if I need that kinda thing. Btw, thanks for telling me about Analogue...I downloaded their Big Mono kit for Battery 3, we'll see how it sounds
Old 12-18-2011, 08:36 AM   #9
ivansc

I have EX from that audiomidi no brainer while back and I understand I will likely be looking at about $99 to upgrade to 4.0 which seems like a bargain to me always assuming it is as super duper as Steven is claiming...

I don'y know anyone wh beta tests for them, so who knows?

I will prolly' no make that certainly' upgrade, as that is less than half of one months US Social Security pension for me!

And before any Americans freak out, my pension was reduced because I live in the Uk and also get a small pension from them.

(AXE GRINDING ALERT) Cheap s.o.b's - I have paid in enough to be fully vested in both systems but apparently it is a "windfall" as far as me being able to actually claim full benefit from both. I said "well since you took all my money and are only paying me part of what I paid in for, can I have my money back, please?"

Still waiting on that one....
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:57 AM   #10
Leo

Well, the sale is gone now..damn :P Back to $249 and $79.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:14 AM   #11
mabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
Full Kontakt only

- Mario
mabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:35 AM   #12
chip mcdonald

Kontakt is a big pain, wish I hadn't jumped on EX so quick - Addictive Drums just works, 4.0 better have a stand alone interface that is that straightforward....
Old 12-20-2011, 07:00 AM   #13
Leo

Turns out the sale is still on at audiodeluxe.com. They have crazy prices for Toontrack stuff too. Can't wait to see SSD 4. Slate just tweeted a screenshot of the new gui, good thing they dumped Kontakt.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:52 AM   #14
robo

I wouldn't blame Kontakt for whatever you don't like about Slate drums. There's some amazingly well programmed instruments and some really bad ones.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:09 AM   #15
chip mcdonald

I *am* going to blame Kontakt for not liking Kontakt, compared to AD's UI it's horrid.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:57 AM   #16
ivansc

Recently D/L'd AD demo and found it very very difficult to grasp how things worked compared to toontrack stuff or BFD.
chocolate and vanilla, I guess
Old 12-21-2011, 03:40 PM   #17
CaptainHook

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
Thanks!
I recorded that stuff for my friends (one of which i've been friends with for 16 years now!) at York St.
They're editing up another couple of kits we recorded a few months ago.

I think it would be great if they had their own player but there's really only 2 of them involved and neither of them are plugin developers. I did give them a kick in the pants about kontakt though after i showed them SSD in kontakt so at least that's now improved. Baby steps.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:14 AM   #18
chip mcdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Recently D/L'd AD demo and found it very very difficult to grasp how things worked compared to toontrack stuff or BFD.
chocolate and vanilla, I guess

What I like about AD is that you get all the controls over a sample with one button. Kontakt - you can change the volume from the "main" ui, but then you have to go to.... edit, no, click on the mixer toolbar button and then click the pseudo channel strip and .. anyhow, it's bizarre to me that there is a knob for "distortion" on a tom's "menu" but if you want eq you have to jump through hoops to get to a menu to do that.

... and the controls lag about 2 seconds behind moving them on my machine vs. AD, that's actually the biggie.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:46 AM   #19
robo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHook View Post
Thanks!
I recorded that stuff for my friends (one of which i've been friends with for 16 years now!) at York St.
They're editing up another couple of kits we recorded a few months ago.

I think it would be great if they had their own player but there's really only 2 of them involved and neither of them are plugin developers. I did give them a kick in the pants about kontakt though after i showed them SSD in kontakt so at least that's now improved. Baby steps.
You are awesome! York's room is so lovely. Make some IRs for analoguedrums to distribute so I can blend in other instruments with the drums.

I personally love Kontakt, because once you dig in and learn it nothing can stop you. NI is lame and charges huge amounts to license for the free player so small companies like analoguedrums end up releasing for the /pro version.

If only Cockos bought NI

-robo
Old 12-22-2011, 01:38 PM   #20
CaptainHook

Quote:
Make some IRs for analoguedrums to distribute so I can blend in other instruments with the drums.
Do you mean make some IRs of the York St live room or .. ?

I've never actually looked into the process of making IRs. Is it difficult? Any good resource(s)?
Old 12-22-2011, 02:28 PM   #21
Wolffman

Quote:

I've never actually looked into the process of making IRs. Is it difficult? Any good resource(s)?
I think thats what he means, that would be cool !

sorry can't help with making ir's but i know there are people around here that do know, hopefully they chime in.

Cheers

https://soundcloud.com/wolffman7
Wolffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:42 PM   #22
Solar

I think this one will become very very soon my Way to Go for Live Drums Sample Lib to use with XLN always. Wooooooow looooooooving what i'm hearing indeed. Can't wait

Love the simplicity of the GUI and layout, pretty easy and simple. I'm pretty sure that for next big update they will be room for them to ADD in those Console the VCC, RC Tube etc....
Old 12-22-2011, 03:02 PM   #23
EpicSounds

ssd 4 is out today.
There are a few upgrade and crossgrade options. Limited time offer.

From the intro video, it looks damn awesome.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:07 PM   #24
fly

50$ to crossgrade to EX 4.0 .

For me to crossgrade, it had to let me load my own samples , since i can do it with kontakt . Well apparently it does.I'm seriously considering buying it.
fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 04:09 PM   #25
bharris

I have SSD EX Version 3, with all of the expansion kits. Does anyone know if I can use these expansions in Version 4? I see that I can get Version 4 EX for $49, but as this only includes 25 kits am wondering if I can bring the other kits from 3 in that way. Thanks!
bharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 04:23 PM   #26
stratman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharris View Post
I have SSD EX Version 3, with all of the expansion kits. Does anyone know if I can use these expansions in Version 4? I see that I can get Version 4 EX for $49, but as this only includes 25 kits am wondering if I can bring the other kits from 3 in that way. Thanks!
In the email I just got, the link gives the following statement:-

"Upgrade/Crossgrade Pricing:

Platinum 3.x to Platinum 4.0: $149 discount
EX 3.x to EX 4.0: $49 discount
EX 3.x to Platinum 4.0: from $49 to $149 discount (depending on number of expansion packs)
Competing Drum Software to Platinum: $149 discount"

I'm guessing that it might be possible to get a $149 discount if you've already got EX with all the expansion kits. It would be good to get some clarification on this.

It also says a $149 discount if you've got competing Drum software. I've got all the SSD expansion kits and competing software. Does that mean I get a double discount and get it virtually free (just joking ).

Looks like a good offer.

I'd be interested to know what the CPU useage is with the new interface, as I've got a fairly ageing computer. The 3.5 version in K3 ran at about 6%.

Also, if I've got the expansion packs from 3.5, can I use those, or do I need to go through another mega downloaded session.

Pete

Last edited by stratman; 12-22-2011 at 04:30 PM.
stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 04:55 PM   #27
Peevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly View Post
50$ to crossgrade to EX 4.0 .

For me to crossgrade, it had to let me load my own samples , since i can do it with kontakt . Well apparently it does.I'm seriously considering buying it.
This is one of the main reasons I'm thinking of upgrading. I already have Geist which is amazing for most electronic drum styles & MPC like sampling, but not so great for multi-layered acoustic/live style playing. I could stick with SSD 3.5 but I'm not overly keen on Kontakt. One of the things I find real cool about the SSD4 interface is the drag & drop approach (which as far as I can see so far) works for samples & mapping. Another bonus of SSD4 Platinum is the 5 added Electronic kits, seems like a pretty full package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman View Post
In the email I just got, the link gives the following statement:-

"Upgrade/Crossgrade Pricing:

Platinum 3.x to Platinum 4.0: $149 discount
EX 3.x to EX 4.0: $49 discount
EX 3.x to Platinum 4.0: from $49 to $149 discount (depending on number of expansion packs)
Competing Drum Software to Platinum: $149 discount"

I'm guessing that it might be possible to get a $149 discount if you've already got EX with all the expansion kits. It would be good to get some clarification on this.

It also says a $149 discount if you've got competing Drum software. I've got all the SSD expansion kits and competing software. Does that mean I get a double discount and get it virtually free (just joking ).

Looks like a good offer.

I'd be interested to know what the CPU useage is with the new interface, as I've got a fairly ageing computer. The 3.5 version in K3 ran at about 6%.

Also, if I've got the expansion packs from 3.5, can I use those, or do I need to go through another mega downloaded session.

Pete
Yes if you have all 5 expansion packs you get the upgrade for $149. I was just about to hit the buy button, then I thought 'hmmmm maybe see what others think first about the GUI & CPU efficiency' (or lack of) I've no doubt of the actual sound quality of SSD4 because I really like the sound of SSD3.5 but hate that you had to use Kontakt player for it. Well I've got until Jan 20 to use my upgrade code, trying not to be too hasty......though I'll probably cave before the nights out.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:25 PM   #28
stratman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly View Post
...For me to crossgrade, it had to let me load my own samples , since i can do it with kontakt . Well apparently it does.I'm seriously considering buying it.
But can it load multi velocity samples? The video says (at 6.33) that you can load 32 of your own samples. Is that 32 one layer samples or 32 cells that are multilayer?

If it can load more than 8 layers per cell, which I believe is the limit for Poise and Battery, then that's very interesting.

Pete

Last edited by stratman; 12-22-2011 at 05:31 PM.
stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:18 PM   #29
chip mcdonald

Just bought 3 EX for $50, haven't really used it because I find getting around in Kontakt obfuscated - and mapping my Addictive Drums midi to SSD EX "not a lot of fun". I could have saved the $50 and would only be in for another $100 to get 4.0 Platinum - AND I would have solved the pain of having to use Kontakt and it also looks like mapping to AD midi would also be more straight forward.

Great. On the other hand, it looks a lot friendlier than Kontakt, and including loading user samples/stacking samples is "as it should be". Frak.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:24 PM   #30
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman View Post
But can it load multi velocity samples? The video says (at 6.33) that you can load 32 of your own samples. Is that 32 one layer samples or 32 cells that are multilayer?

If it can load more than 8 layers per cell, which I believe is the limit for Poise and Battery, then that's very interesting.

Pete
There is about 12 alternation hits per each velocity layer
Old 12-22-2011, 09:48 PM   #31
Lowell Mather 5150

Quote:
This - and does anyone know if there is a true overhead channel, or if it is the same as SSD EX 3, where maybe "some samples" are just routed to the overhead channel?

I would also expect quite a few bugs since they don't have x64 ironed out yet, which is understandable. However, Slate has not answered quite a few key questions over on the ultimatemetal thread, which is understandable, considering they are probably slammed right now.

However, I would like to proceed forward, but only when the question of "True Overheads" channel and how and even if you would/could go about loading SSD 3 EX expansion packs, etc.
Lowell Mather 5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:25 AM   #32
ivansc

I started downloading last night and am still at it this morning.

I'll report back whenever I have it all & have installed, but for $20 for my initial SSD3.5EX plus $49 upgrade, I am not going to be THAT picky!

ANd yes I am happy that it is Kontakt free, even though I own Kontakt 4.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:41 AM   #33
paterpeter

Hm, the $149 crossgrade offer is tempting. I'm a drums addict anyway and SSD would nicely complement my BFD2. And my EZD. And my AD. Holy Christ - I need serious help :-)

Edit - on a less serious note and mainly directed at my fellow Germans: I can't help it but I think that Steven Slate looks like the bad-ass brother of Kai Pflaume

Last edited by paterpeter; 12-23-2011 at 12:49 AM.
paterpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:49 AM   #34
mabian

I don't understand why the upgrade offer is valid only for a limited time, honestly...

- Mario
Old 12-23-2011, 06:01 AM   #35
DigiDis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabian View Post
I don't understand why the upgrade offer is valid only for a limited time, honestly...

- Mario
It's called marketing. If they put you on time pressure you are more likely to buy now instead of stop and think if you really need SSD4 now. I am willing to bet that once the Christmas season is over and everyone goes into "save a little money now that I've spent way too much on Christmas" mode, they will continue the upgrade offer. I wouldn't be surprised if the costs actually come down later in the year.
DigiDis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:05 AM   #36
mabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiDis View Post
It's called marketing. If they put you on time pressure you are more likely to buy now instead of stop and think if you really need SSD4 now. I am willing to bet that once the Christmas season is over and everyone goes into "save a little money now that I've spent way too much on Christmas" mode, they will continue the upgrade offer. I wouldn't be surprised if the costs actually come down later in the year.
Indeed; I'm absolutely going to wait, still digging Slate 3 and still lots of things to try and discover.

- Mario
Old 12-23-2011, 07:33 AM   #37
bharris

Another couple of questions came to mind, if anyone knows the answer:

1) Is the only difference between EX and Platinum the number of kits? In other words, can you do all of the sound shaping and mixing of different pieces shown in the demo video in EX as well as Platinum?

2) Is it possible to mix and match pieces from different kits and save them as custom kits? I know from the demo video that you can add in pieces to existing kits and mix those pieces together, but can you tear apart an existing kit, replace pieces entirely with pieces from other kits, and save the new kit as a "user preset kit"?
bharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:15 AM   #38
ivansc

Finally got all the files downloaded and am copying them to my music computer AND my archive external hard disk!

The EX upgrade I got was 6 gig so I imagine Platinum will be an even longer D/L...

And of course the main difference between 3.5 and 4 is going to be the NotKontakt interface/host..

Hope it works OK!
Old 12-23-2011, 10:03 AM   #39
EpicSounds

Quote:
Another couple of questions came to mind, if anyone knows the answer:

1) Is the only difference between EX and Platinum the number of kits? In other words, can you do all of the sound shaping and mixing of different pieces shown in the demo video in EX as well as Platinum?

2) Is it possible to mix and match pieces from different kits and save them as custom kits? I know from the demo video that you can add in pieces to existing kits and mix those pieces together, but can you tear apart an existing kit, replace pieces entirely with pieces from other kits, and save the new kit as a "user preset kit"?
1- All the functions are the same in both versions. its an extra 75 kits.

2- Yes!
Old 12-23-2011, 10:25 AM   #40
robo

Quote:

You can pop a balloon, shoot a starter pistol, or run sine sweeps through monitors. Then you take your balloon pop or sweep wav and deconvolve it in Reaverb. Load the file module in Reaverb to see all the options.

I'm so glad you're thinking about it! It'd be amazing to get guitars "in the room" with the drums

-robo