CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 11-09-2012, 10:09 PM   #1
brandondrury
Human being with feelings

Default LNK1104: Cannot Open base.lib

Hello everyone,

I'm frighteningly new/ignorant of the ways of C++ and I'm not quite sure how to get around an error I keep getting when attempting to build any of the iPlug examples VS2010 Express.

3>LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'base.lib'

Anyone got any ideas? Feel free to tell me to point me to a bigger,broader article/tutorial/book. I normally take pride in my ability to troubleshoot but feel out of my depth in this situation.

Brandon
brandondrury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:45 AM   #2
bozmillar

I'm assuming you are using wdl-ol right?

When you open up your solution (not vcxproj) there should be a project called "base." That project needs to be compiled for your plugin to compile. Try right clicking on base and hit "build" and see if it compiles.

If it doesn't compile remember that you have to put the aeffect.h and aeffectx.h in your VST_SDK folder

Last edited by bozmillar; 11-10-2012 at 01:06 AM.
bozmillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:50 AM   #3
olilarkin

base.lib is only required to build VST3 plugins. If you haven't put the VST3 sdk in place then the VST3 plugin won't compile. I would make sure that you are using the next branch of WDL-OL which has some fixes in the Examples Visual Studio projects to make sure base.lib gets built when necessary.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:09 PM   #4
brandondrury

Thanks for the responses. Sorry for the absurd delay in responding. I took a month and focused on learning the very basics of C++. I got in the mood to tackle this today.

It turns out that all the problems were entirely VS2010 Express. I wasn't prepared for the fact that I had to install and then uninstall the thing 10 different ways and times in various sequences to get it to work correctly.

This specific instance required me to reinstall the SP1 upgrade. That seems to have fixed it.

Thanks, guys!!

Brandon
brandondrury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:26 AM   #5
1eqinfinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandondrury View Post
It turns out that all the problems were entirely VS2010 Express. I wasn't prepared for the fact that I had to install and then uninstall the thing 10 different ways and times in various sequences to get it to work correctly.

This specific instance required me to reinstall the SP1 upgrade. That seems to have fixed it.
Hi, Brandon!
Could you describe a little bit more specific what the problem was? I also had to install/uninstall VS10, VS10 SP1 and Win SDK to fix some things (like 64 bit support), but I still can't build the VST3 project.

Also, I don't have base.lib file on my hard drive and in the SDKs that I downloaded.

Last edited by 1eqinfinity; 05-28-2014 at 07:46 AM.
1eqinfinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:29 AM   #6
1eqinfinity

I just updated WDL-OL and rebuilt base.lib using one of example projects.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:27 AM   #7
keyman_sam

Default I'm getting the error for iPlug.lib - any ideas??

fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'IPlug.lib'

Can't seem to find much info on it
Tried vc++ 2010 and vs2017.
keyman_sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:47 PM   #8
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyman_sam View Post
fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'IPlug.lib'

Can't seem to find much info on it
Tried vc++ 2010 and vs2017.
You need to build the IPlug lib solution first. (For all CPU architectures you are intending to use, as well as Debug and Release versions.)

To whoever is maintaning IPlug these days : Seriously, isn't it time to drop using those separate lib files and just add all the needed source files into the plugin project so that they are built together with it? (Yes, that will make full rebuilds take longer, but computers are pretty powerful these days, can use multiple cores for building etc...And full rebuilds are not needed all the time anyway.)

Last edited by Xenakios; 04-18-2017 at 01:54 PM.
Xenakios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:40 PM   #9
Tale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
To whoever is maintaning IPlug these days :
I guess we all are? Anyhow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
Seriously, isn't it time to drop using those separate lib files and just add all the needed source files into the plugin project so that they are built together with it? (Yes, that will make full rebuilds take longer, but computers are pretty powerful these days, can use multiple cores for building etc...And full rebuilds are not needed all the time anyway.)
I think that is already how it works (assuming WDL-OL), so wrong (legacy) project file maybe?

My IPlug might still use the .lib scheme on Windows, but internally I have also switched to one big project. Unfortunately I haven't found the time to update my IPlug with these changes yet.
Tale is offline   Reply With Quote