Old 11-24-2011, 10:59 AM   #681
BenK-msx
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
What I am missing in the category "SWS Actions to Select Tracks" mostly is:
- name based track selections, NO MATTER what the name is. Something like: SWS_SELTRKNM%put-any-name-here%

So we could select actually, very precisely, just based on track names! As long as you name your tracks intelligently, you could do all your precise track selections, only with these already.
Tone have you checked out rea console and its actions? (search 'console' in action lsit)
can have it launch with S already in the field so you just type in the track name and it should select. would be nice if it selected without having to hit enter and close the dialog, but am sure it could be tweaked if you asked the wizards.
the editable 'custom commands file' then gives you ability to have a track name in an action for one button selection or as part of macros. can give you an example if u want.

Last edited by BenK-msx; 11-24-2011 at 11:09 AM.
BenK-msx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:41 PM   #682
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post
Tone have you checked out rea console and its actions? (search 'console' in action lsit)
... can give you an example if u want.
Yes, examples are always good.

Ok, this might work, I have to test it:
SWS: Open console with 'S' to select track(s) 53105 _SWSCONSOLEEXSEL
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:01 PM   #683
TonE

Is this also possible with console actions:

A new action which can open parameter mapping dialog using as input: track(name).fx(name).parameter(name)

As long as you name your tracks and fx orthogonally this should be a precise one-to-one mapping.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:12 PM   #684
BenK-msx

Quote:
Yes, examples are always good.

Ok, this might work, I have to test it:
SWS: Open console with 'S' to select track(s) 53105 _SWSCONSOLEEXSEL
your last q is beyond me, i think not at the moment - you can always request the sws guys if you like.

back to reaconsole commands:
in actions type 'console' in the filter.
first action is 'edit console custom commands....'

run that action
blank txt file opens,
then enter on each line (for example)
S vocals
S bass
S buss
S snare
..yadayada...
capital S is 'only select' lowercase selects in addition to any existing selection.
the sws website lists all the possible functions. link
http://www.standingwaterstudios.com/reaconsole.php
note point 5 in the second numbered list.
I think that means S *vocals* would mean any track with "vocals" in its name anywhere will be selected rather than exact match.

save txt file and restart reaper.
you should have new actions in action list called

sws: run console command: S vocals etc.

which you can slap into macros, asign to keys etc.

think i'll be making use of the above with the new media item playback features to select certain tracks for them to play through.

Last edited by BenK-msx; 11-24-2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:25 PM   #685
TonE

Quote:
first action is 'edit console custom commands....'
run that action...
How many of those can we define, only one, or as many as we want?
Old 11-24-2011, 01:35 PM   #686
BenK-msx

go nuts... i've got 30 odd at the mo
n.b just put each command you want on each line of the file

e.g heres a snippet of mine full of stuff i no longer use...
http://k.minus.com/jqZmg709Rqz63.png
Old 11-24-2011, 01:57 PM   #687
TonE

Quote:
e.g heres a snippet of mine full of stuff i no longer use...
Which do you use currently? I would use mainly track selection and arming.
Old 11-24-2011, 02:06 PM   #688
BenK-msx

uh none right now they were all for bcf2000 use for showing/hiding tracks under its control etc., now thats in bits so most are redundant, i will use it for the new media slot playback actions so i can specify the play-through track or mute it etc.
though i think selecting and arming is the most useful but depends what we're upto.

i envisage adding a template track to all projects that the media slot stuff will play through. it won't matter where i put it if i can select it by name using this method.
Old 11-24-2011, 03:47 PM   #689
TonE

Quote:
Is this also possible with console actions:

A new action which can open parameter mapping dialog using as input: track(name).fx(name).parameter(name)

As long as you name your tracks and fx orthogonally this should be a precise one-to-one mapping.
I have a very simple to implement solution to this problem: The midi learn windows title should NOT say only "MIDI Learn" instead "MIDI Learn for track 1:trackname fx fxname parameter parametername"!

That's it.

Then, we only need another action which does following "iterate over all available envelope parameters in the project, open its midi learn window, wait 3 seconds, close, go to next parameter"...

If you have a machine which can send out midi events based on this midi learn window title, you can 100% automate all your midi mappings in your project! That would be great.

Then any non-midi-mapped project, you could midi map while drinking your coffee in the kitchen. Even and especially if those would be 1000 parameter mappings.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:29 AM   #690
drew
Mobile

Hi sws - I've just discovered the Display Item Peak Gains command and it's a very useful thing to have.. thanks to you and Xenakios.

Just wondering, do you know if it's possible for an extension to draw one of those "cue" markers, like you see when a WAV file has a marker created in Sound Forge etc?

Having a highlight at the point where the peak(s) occur would really help - even if it only stayed until the item changes in some way.
drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:41 PM   #691
ovnis

hi,

great update !

I know we have "toggle mixer" but Is it possible to have this action " open mixer " and make distinction distinction midi item and audio item to apply different actions ?

thx you !
ovnis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:59 PM   #692
gwok

thanks so much for the Resource Bookmarks! These kick ass -

gonna get so much more use out of fx chains, as I've always found them to be somewaht unmanageable - ending up with 40 or 50 chains, then never remembering what the heck all that crap is

now I can just have folders

delay
channel strips
serial compression
etc, etc

and boom, it's all right there, neat and tidy good shit!

Last edited by gwok; 12-13-2011 at 03:04 PM.
gwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:11 PM   #693
Anton9

Default Resources Bookmarks Tutorial

Hey Guys,

Since there is no documentation on how to set up bookmarks for the Resources window thought I'd post a little LICEcap tutorial.

1: Click on the little '+' next to the categories drop down.
2: A popup box will appear where you can specify a name.
3: Right click somewhere on the Resources window and a context menu will appear.., now select "Auto-save configuration/Set auto-save directory.
4: The "Browse for folder" popup will appear where you can select a location for the bookmark.

You can set a different directory location for each bookmark
Anton9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:19 PM   #694
vicenzajay

Default Hah...

Got another one...This is the second time in the last month or two that I've been the very first person to download a new prerelease version of the extensions...v23 is MINE....

Jay
vicenzajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:41 PM   #695
BenK-msx

Hey it said zero downloads when i got it so call it a draw!! Ha . And aparantly im a grown up.....!
Old 12-15-2011, 11:20 PM   #696
plamuk

guys, i am as excited at new SWS/S&M Extension releases as i am Cockos - sometimes even more so. keep up the excellent work. this media slot stuff is killer.
plamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:34 AM   #697
airon

Geyzus crisco guys, what a change list!

!v2.1.0 #23 (December 15, 2011)
Notes/Help view -> Notes/Subtitles/Help
+Subtitles support: new mode "Marker/Region subtitles" in the top left dropdown box.
You can edit notes for regions and/or markers. Such notes are saved in project files.
When the view/text edition is locked, notes are displayed with a dynamic sized font (display à la "Big clock") and they follow the play cursor position (i.e. subtitles!).
Useful for lyrics, video stuff (you can display subttiles or even to edit them in REAPER), etc...
Also added new buttons and actions to import/export SubRip subtitle files (.srt files, this format is supported by most video players) :
+SWS/S&M: Notes/Subtitles/Help - Import subtitle file... - It adds a region with notes for each subtitle of the loaded file
+SWS/S&M: Notes/Subtitles/Help - Export subtitle file... - It exports current region/marker notes as a subtitle file

Media file slots improvements:
+Only send all notes off when MIDI files are stopped (i.e. no extra CC123 MIDI messages when MIDI files are played until the end). Useful for MIDI hardware outputs.
+Other improvements when stopping media files (better fix for issue 411)
Added actions with pause:
+SWS/S&M: Play media file in selected tracks (toggle pause), slot n - where 'n' is in [1; 4], customizable in the S&M.ini file (up to 99 slots)
+SWS/S&M: Play media file in selected tracks (toggle pause), prompt for slot
+SWS/S&M: Loop media file in selected tracks (toggle pause), prompt for slot - Infinite looping! To be stopped!
<b>IMPORTANT:</b> due to its scary name, the folowing action is hidden by default (i.e. 0 slot in the default S&M.ini file but it is customizable there: up to 99 slots)
+SWS/S&M: Loop media file in selected tracks (toggle pause), slot n - Infinite looping! To be stopped!

Resources view updates:
+Fixed few slots actions that could not be tied to bookmarks (they were not obeying the tick box "Tie slot actions")
Added clear/delete slot actions (Issue 431):
+SWS/S&M: Delete all FX chain slots
+SWS/S&M: Delete all track template slots
+SWS/S&M: Delete all project template slots
+SWS/S&M: Delete all media file slots
+SWS/S&M: Delete all image slots
+SWS/S&M: Delete all theme slots
<b>IMPORTANT:</b> a bit specific, so the following actions are hidden by default (i.e. 0 slot in the default S&M.ini file but it is customizable there: up to 99 slots)
+SWS/S&M: Clear FX chain slot n
+SWS/S&M: Clear track template slot n
+SWS/S&M: Clear project template slot n
+SWS/S&M: Clear media file slot n
+SWS/S&M: Clear image slot n
+SWS/S&M: Clear theme slot n - On Windows OS only

New "Images" slot type in the Resources view: manage slots for PNG files (Issue 418)
+Reminder: you can switch the Resources view to "Images" in the top left dropdown box
+External drag-drop (e.g. drag a bunch of PNG files from an external tool -> drop them into the Resources view)
+Internal drag-drop (e.g. re-order slots, drag a slot from the Resources view -> drop it into a track) - Windows OS only
+Context menu: show image, set as track icon, etc.. various "auto-fill slots" features, insert/add/clear/etc..
In this view, double-click and the ENTER key can be customized to:
+Show an image (in a dedicated dockable/resizable "S&M - Image" window)
+Set an image as track icon
+Add an image as an item to the current track
Added slot actions for images:
+SWS/S&M: Open Resources window (images)
+SWS/S&M: Show image, slot n - where 'n' is in [1; 4], cutomizable in the S&M.ini file (up to 99 slots)
+SWS/S&M: Show image, prompt for slot
+SWS/S&M: Set track icon for selected tracks, slot n - where 'n' is in [1; 4], cutomizable in the S&M.ini file (up to 99 slots)
+SWS/S&M: Set track icon for selected tracks, prompt for slot
+SWS/S&M: Clear image slot...
+SWS/S&M: Open/clear image window

Issue 430: Added Rename to markerlist context menu, F2 renames too
Issue 433: fixed creation of cycle actions broken in v2.1.0 #22

House cleaning:
+Renamed all actions "SWS/S&M: Select/load project template [...]" into "Open/select project template [...]"
+Renamed all actions "SWS/S&M: Play/loop media file [...]" into "Loop media file [...]"
+Removed Media Pool dialog - replaced natively plus with Resource view "play" actions

!v2.1.0 #22 (December 12, 2011)
Resources view updates:
Issue 408: added resource slot bookmarks
+New tiny add/delete bookmark buttons
+New tick box: slots actions can be tied to bookmarks instead of default resource types (FX chains, Track templates, etc..)
Added actions (Issue 422):
+SWS/S&M: Auto-save FX Chain slots for selected tracks
+SWS/S&M: Auto-save input FX Chain slots for selected tracks
+SWS/S&M: Auto-save FX Chain slots for selected items
+SWS/S&M: Auto-save track template slots
+SWS/S&M: Auto-save track template (with items) slots
+SWS/S&M: Auto-save project template slot
+SWS/S&M: Auto-save media file slots for selected items
Other:
+Added tooltips
+Issue 412: reorganized the GUI a bit, better docking/resizing behavior
+Default customizable action: the enter key now also acts as double-click

Cycle action editor: re-fixed drag-drop of commands in the right list view re-broken in v2.1.0 #21
Live Configs: the enter key activates the selected config
Notes/help view: less flickering
Properly keep marker/region colors when renumbering

airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:49 AM   #698
mabian

Yup but.... any schedule for a stable release?

Thanks,
Mario
mabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:51 PM   #699
Anton9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabian View Post
Yup but.... any schedule for a stable release?
Never had any stability issues with the extension, as it is a continuously developing extension it's safe to assume each release is stable.., sure there might be a bug here or there but shouldn't be any stability issues. So I would just go ahead and install the latest release found here. http://code.google.com/p/sws-extension/downloads/list

Last edited by Anton9; 12-16-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Anton9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:16 AM   #700
mabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton9 View Post
Never had any stability issues with the extension, as it is a continuously developing extension it's safe to assume each release is stable.., sure there might be a bug here or there but shouldn't be any stability issues. So I would just go ahead and install the latest release found here. http://code.google.com/p/sws-extension/downloads/list
Yes thank you, I was just wondering because SWS main site still lists 2.1.0#1 dated as of August... the extension has gone very far since then.

- Mario
mabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:42 AM   #701
sws
Code Monkey

Mabian, yes, once the bugs have been worked out of the Resources window we'll release a 2.2. We need some documentation too, but us programmers sometimes (always?) procrastinate writing it!
sws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:20 PM   #702
Kundalinguist

Just started getting acquainted with the resources window recently. What a cool thing that is.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:51 PM   #703
Illusionaire

I've been using reaper for a year, it's the best! Only some details were missing, for example some macros for faster detailed multichannel drum editing. And I found it all in SWS. Thank you people, you are so supportive and inspiring! Reaper has become a powerful, fully modular tool!

Happy holidays everyone and let's make some great music ))
Illusionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:53 PM   #704
Jeffos
Mortal

Yes, an official v2.2 would be welsome! Personnaly, I would appreciate some help to clarify some things before though:

1) Cycle Action editor - OSX USERS: HELP PLEASE!
Although several users wanted OSX support for the Cycle Action Editor, I still have no feedback about the beta version I made (and I have no mean to test it myself).
To activate the OSX beta and/or to report any related issue see http://code.google.com/p/sws-extensi.../detail?id=416
Please, post something even if everything is OK ATM, I have no idea if it works or not (in doubt, I will switch back to the old/stable code).

For a quick test, I've attached a cycle action here: import the attached file in the editor, apply. This should add an action "show/hide take vol/pan envelopes" (which cycles take envelopes between vol & pan for selected items). Please, try to perform this action too. Is it ok? A basic test "manual creation of a cycle action" from scratch would be much appreciated too (I mean, creation & perform). In an ideal world, a kind user would also post an OSX screenshot of the editor.

2) Region/marker subtitles

2a) I know this is unusual for us to remove things but for some obscur reasons and since we now have subtitle support, I would like to remove Marker/Region names, I mean:

Reminder - it was the 1st step towards "subtitles" :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffos View Post
.. but it has but limited interest now (subtitles have multiple lines of text, contrary to marker names).
I know this feature is used a bit => if you disagree with this removal, please say something!

2b) OSX users (again!): I have a serious doubt about something...
..when you switch from, say "Project notes" to "Region/marker subtitles" and then switch back to project notes again: does the GUI resizes itself properly ? (i.e. Do import/export buttons are properly shown/hidden at the bottom of the GUI ?)
Here again a screenshot would be much appreciated (or, even better, a LICEcap of the resizing in action).

3) New actions "SWS/S&M - Show image, slot n" actions:
Do they work on OSX? On OSX again, do they still work after you restart REAPER (withtout tweaking the Resources window in between) ?
If that works, it is a miracle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sws View Post
We need some documentation too, but us programmers sometimes (always?) procrastinate writing it!
ha haha!Confirmed!

EDIT - hey Tim! there are upcoming improvements in the Resources view but no bug AFAIK (on Windows OS, at least. Let me know if so!)
Attached Files
File Type: zip S&M_Cyclactions_export.zip (308 Bytes, 212 views)

Last edited by Jeffos; 12-20-2011 at 01:01 PM. Reason: attached test file + @Tim
Jeffos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:36 PM   #705
Kundalinguist

Quote:
Y...
For a quick test, I've attached a cycle action here: import the attached file in the editor, apply. This should add an action "show/hide take vol/pan envelopes" (which cycles take envelopes between vol & pan for selected items). Please, try to perform this action too. Is it ok? A basic test "manual creation of a cycle action" from scratch would be much appreciated too (I mean, creation & perform). In an ideal world, a kind user would also post an OSX screenshot of the editor.
Hi Jeffos. I cannot seem to import the .ini file in actions on OSX PPC. Or, in the cycle actions editor. I'm using the latest Reaper and SWS beta.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:23 PM   #706
Jeffos
Mortal

Thanks for helping out Kunda!

Normaly, import/export features are available in the context menu.. Have you activated the beta version of the editor ? In short, to activate it, the link I posted above says you have to exit REAPER and update the folowing line in the section [General] of the S&M.ini file like:
Code:
Beta=7
.. if it is activated: do you mean there is no context menu at all?
Old 12-20-2011, 03:29 PM   #707
Kundalinguist

Quote:

Normaly, import/export features are available in the context menu.. Have you activated the beta version of the editor ? In short, to activate it, the link I posted above says you have to exit REAPER and update the folowing line in the section [General] of the S&M.ini file like:
Code:
Beta=7
I haven't activated it. I'm typing between forkfuls of trout - dinner time. I'll give this a whirl when I finish chewing.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:38 PM   #708
Jeffos
Mortal

LOL! no hurry..
(craft cassoulet here)
Old 12-20-2011, 03:52 PM   #709
Kundalinguist

Quote:

Code:
Beta=7
You programmers make it sound so easy. I changed to Beta=7 and got the interface (below).

I imported your action but it is not registered. I flailed with the numbers like somebody who doesn't know what they're doing - which I don't - and came up empty handed. Does Groove 3 have a cycle actions tutorial?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cycleActions_OSXPPCview.jpg (34.7 KB, 224 views)
Old 12-21-2011, 12:37 AM   #710
ivansc

Quote:
LOL! no hurry..
(craft cassoulet here)
Yuck! Kraft cassoulet en boite???!!!

Le fastfood francais... c'est meme pire que MacDoh!!
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:17 AM   #711
copacetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sws View Post
Mabian, yes, once the bugs have been worked out of the Resources window we'll release a 2.2. We need some documentation too, but us programmers sometimes (always?) procrastinate writing it!
Yes!
Old 12-21-2011, 12:03 PM   #712
Kundalinguist

Default HELLO???

Can any of you other fellow Mac users stop running your emotionally charged little fingers all over your latest iPad long enough to test Jeffos's cycle actions script and maybe even spring for a screen shot?

[Drifters and slackers...all of them! Pfff]

Old 12-21-2011, 02:35 PM   #713
CaptainHook

What is the cycle actions script, where do i get it, and what am i testing?

I will test on 10.6.8 and 10.7.2, just need to know what it is i'm actually doing without reading every page of a 20-page thread or going elsewhere to find out. :P
Old 12-21-2011, 03:17 PM   #714
BenK-msx

please stop off at post 725 capn'
Old 12-21-2011, 04:06 PM   #715
CaptainHook

Okay..

Bare in mind i'm new to reaper as of 4-5 weeks ago.

I edited the ini file so Beta=7.

Downloaded the cycle action but what editor is being referred to here? :
"import the attached file in the editor, apply."

I can't find any cycle action editor.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:58 PM   #716
Kundalinguist

That's the problem I was running into - no experience with the cycle actions extension, a brain on overload, and a page of WIKI homework to get up to speed. But I'd like to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHook View Post
Okay..
Go to the actions window [shift - ?] and use the filter to look for "cycle action editor." If you can't find that then I have no answers.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:16 PM   #717
BenK-msx

Default image and media slots use example: #1 of many

i set up a quick macro with the new image display slots that jeffos has kindly introduced, and the media playback slots too.

thought i'd quickly video it to show it in its glory.

scenario: i hit one of the many faceless buttons on my (PITA) controller, and the project is saved, a sound is played and an image appears (docked) & 1.5 seconds later the image goes away.... coool.

ok so for saving its not that sexy, but open your mind...

quick video:
http://min.us/mbbjBUQpR

Last edited by BenK-msx; 12-21-2011 at 06:21 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:18 PM   #718
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHook View Post
Downloaded the cycle action but what editor is being referred to here? :
"import the attached file in the editor, apply."

There's an action 'open cycle action editor'.
At least here on Win, SWS 2.1.0 built #24.

Sorry, that's all I can tell, haven't done anything more with cycle actions also.

edit:
pfff I have been too slow once again.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:18 PM   #719
CaptainHook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kundalinguist View Post
Go to the actions window [shift - ?] and use the filter to look for "cycle action editor." If you can't find that then I have no answers.
Ahhh.. more of the famous "intuitive reaper defaults".

Why the hell is an editor window found in an action list instead of under a window menu?
I was looking at the extensions menu that SWS uses figuring SURELY that's where it would be. Even if it's a beta thing, if i enable it, it should appear under the menu, even if under a submenu titled "Beta". Hell, why isn't that the case? Sigh.

Anyway..

1: I get the same error here when trying to use that cycle action import:

Code:
Warning: cycle action '"#show/hide take vol/pan envelopes' (section 'Main') was added but not registered
Details: command id (or custom id) '"' not found
2b: Not sure what you mean. The window never changes size when i swap between marker/region names or project notes or any of the 5 options...?

3: Not sure what this is mean to do either. "Show image prompt for slot" and entering a number gives me:

"Invalid Slot!
Please enter a value in [1; 0]."

I tried entering
1; 0
1-0
[1; 0]
and a few others and error message.

Show image, slot 01 (and up to 04) do nothing that i can tell.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:23 PM   #720
Kundalinguist

Quote:
guys the CYCLE EDITOR is found in the EXTENSIONS menu that appears when you have sws extension installed...
Oh no it isn't! I'm looking at the default extensions menu and it's not listed. PPC/OSX/SWS beta 24.

I think you must have connections to get that kind of menu service. I can only access it with the actions window.