Old 06-22-2017, 03:41 PM   #1
EttiK
Human being with feelings

Default No VST scan at start feature.

Hi. I know that this topic has appeared but I'm not sure if they did the request.
I love Reaper when im in. But some times i like to open a DAW and just play a little with some sounds, and if some inspiration comes to me start the project there.
Well... here is the problem, i have a good amount of VST's and in several folders. I read about people saying that the people should change this... well NO, its not like that).
Im staring to use less and less Reaper because it always checks for new VST's and it takes A LOT OF TIME the first time. DAWs like Ableton and FL Studio start in a few seconds so im more motivated to open them to start playing around.
I love how simple Reaper is, and i want to keep using it so PLEASE add this to future versions.
This situation makes me sad . I hope developers read this.
EttiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 03:53 PM   #2
EpicSounds

solution is to use reaper more. it only checks for new plugins.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:02 PM   #3
EttiK

I don´t get why all people ignore this problem... the other DAW's doesn´t have it.
The option to disable this can only make Reaper BETTER. You don´t want it to be better? Isn´t customization one of the things that makes Reaper what it is? It may not be a super important problem but is a thing that makes the program not appealing when you have a few minutes and you want to try some things or play around.

Last edited by EttiK; 06-22-2017 at 04:08 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:19 PM   #4
Paul99

My PC is 6 years old and I still don't have any problem firing up Reaper: within 5 seconds. As long as I don't have new VTS's installed it is tops 5 seconds. Only when I have a new VST, it takes a couple of seconds depending on the kind of plugin. I am on Win7, x64 with Reaper v5.32.
Paul99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 05:52 PM   #5
EpicSounds

I've often waited 15 minutes for Pro Tools to start before so occasionally a few extra seconds for reaper is no problem.

A lot of times the delay is actually checking iLok and things like that is it not?
Old 06-22-2017, 06:00 PM   #6
EttiK

For the people like me how has several vst folders and it's annoying to wait a simple option will be good. I repeat it: if Ableton or Fl Studio can do it why not Reaper?
I just want it to be better.
If the majority doesn´t care good for them, but here we have a Reaper disadvantage in front of other DAWs that does not do it.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:21 PM   #7
AugerJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by EttiK View Post
For the people like me how has several vst folders and it's annoying to wait a simple option will be good. I repeat it: if Ableton or Fl Studio can do it why not Reaper?
I just want it to be better.
If the majority doesn´t care good for them, but here we have a Reaper disadvantage in front of other DAWs that does not do it.
In the mean time

Why install new VSTs if no sequencer should scan (use) them?

If you have multiple VST folders, why not 'hide' from REAPER at least one of them — with the VSTs that REAPER shouldn't scan?
I have two folders with 32-bit VSTs, and REAPER scans only one of them — the one with the VSTs that don't have 64-bit versions (so — no duplicates).

However, I think, this option not to scan VSTs on start-up wouldn't hurt.
AugerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:38 PM   #8
karbomusic

Start around post #56...

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=162215

There is a reason most VST installers ask you about placing the VST and the presets or other non-executable files in different places. Even they know it is a smart idea. For me, Reaper starts in about 3 seconds.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:43 PM   #9
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
solution is to use reaper more. it only checks for new plugins.
Reaper enumerates the directory contents to compare against the cache, that's the only way to know if there are new ones at startup - and if a user is keeping more than the VSTs there like thousands of presets, meta data etc.. the time increases because Reaper has to wait on the OS to do the enumeration, it does not initialize the VSTs, this is literally the time it takes to get back a list+info of all the files. The high number of irrelevant files is the problem.

Not reaper's fault though, VST folders are for VSTs only - assuming this is the same root cause.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:51 PM   #10
EttiK

I'm not saying that what you said don´t make sense. I'm saying that others DAWs have a better solution to this.
This is a feature requests forum, this option would be a good add for some people.
Till that day...
Old 06-23-2017, 01:18 AM   #11
cyrano

Would it be hard to implement?

My techie mind immediately sees some purpose for testing. Is there any other way to disable all VST's temporarily?
Old 06-23-2017, 04:41 AM   #12
vitalker

Yes, sometimes it's annoying.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 06:49 AM   #13
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Would it be hard to implement?

My techie mind immediately sees some purpose for testing. Is there any other way to disable all VST's temporarily?
It's about directory enumeration, not VSTs or their loading. Throw 100k 1 byte text files (example) in a folder, open the folder, select all, wait. This is the same thing - at least it was in the thread I referenced. The way to approach from the Reaper level, is when asking for the directory file list, have the OS filter it for only files with VST extensions, but that may or may not be faster since it's the OS churning anyway due to the high amount of metadata involved based on the count of files in the directory.