Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 05-30-2010, 11:20 PM   #1
bigdoggit
Human being with feelings

Default Glueing and Copy Loop of Selected area of items creating strange sound modification

I am experimenting with creating loops of my better takes. Like most songs I have verses and choruses, etc, and often times there is repetition such that I can just make audio loops of the best I ever played a specific passage which needs to be played another 20 times during the song.

I tried to first isolate the section I would use as a loop and then used the glue method to cut off the parts of the track I hid during my slip editing. However, the glue method changed the pitch of the track. I noticed the play rate had been reduced to .928 so I put this back to 1.0, tried the glue, and same thing again. I searched for other clues but came up emtpy, got frustrated and moved on to another technique.

This time I tried the copy loop of selected area of items. Again, I had already create a time selection of the section I wanted to make the loop out of but this time did not trim anything, just chose the copy loop option. I had my cursor move with my new time selections, which were linked to my loop points, so that after the copy I could just select the track where I will paste and perform the operation. To make sure everything was lined up I soloed the track with the loop copy and the original track. The loop was still there and looping was enabled. The first time it played back everything was fine. When the loop repeated (in other words started its second run) I heard a flanger type affect. Any ideas why that would suddenly show up? I'm thinking a bug in the software because it only flares up after the first time through with both tracks soloed. I removed the loop points and tried again and still this weird flanger sound flares up. I tried other copies and soloed the copies. First time through fine, second time, flanger sound. Any ideas?

I'm going to bed and will attempt a clean head tomorrow. I am betting I will need some advice on this though.
bigdoggit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:45 PM   #2
nicholas
Scribe

Two things that come to mind:

1. Check your snap settings ... it could be possible that your media items are snapping to grid.

2. Check your timebase settings (under Project Settings)
nicholas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:47 PM   #3
EricM

Could you isolate only the track and item(s) you are editing
(delete everything else from the project) and save the project
as a new file (with copy media) to a new folder, and upload it?

Make on version before editing, and than after editing do a
save as with different name.

Or record a video if it's easier for ya, it would be much easier
to assist with actual data.

e
EricM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:33 AM   #4
Bevosss

Does the flanging get worse with each loop? Just a shot in the dark, it might be a 44.1 vs 48kHz sampling clash somehow.

or possibly the loop is a slightly different length, check the length of both selections in the transport.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:44 PM   #5
bigdoggit

Default Having trouble with the file idea

My original data is a 53 MB wav file and I am pretty sure it is way too large to upload. I understand Reaper to use non-destructive editing so even if I trim off most of the wav file the data is not actually lost as evidenced by my ability to simply drag the edge out and the "missing" data reappears. I though of trimming the selection and then rendering a new take but just as with gluing the pitch of the audio file changes.

I am really confused as to why using the glue option or rendering the track changes its pitch. That isn't supposed to happen is it? This issue doesn't seem like it would have anything to do with the 'flanger sound' issue I am having, but maybe.

I copy the loop twice and put each copy on a separate track making sure they started at the same spot. When they were soloed everything sounded fine. Only when I solo the copied loop with the original data am I still getting this flanger sound. How can I check the start, end, and length times for my selection so I can compare these to the copied loops? I haven't found how to do that. Maybe this will help me understand why I hear this flanger sound.

My timebase setting is 'Time'. Is that not right? Is that not enough information to answer the question? Let me know nicholas.

The flanger does not seem to get worse with each take. Everything is still a separate track recorded at 44100 Hz. I'm not clear on where the 48kHz sampling would be coming from.

Thank you for the ideas so far - still stuck though.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:04 PM   #6
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdoggit View Post
My original data is a 53 MB wav file and I am pretty sure it is way too large to upload.
Ever heard of FLAC? For an example, even an MP3 would do.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:14 PM   #7
EricM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdoggit View Post
My original data is a 53 MB wav file and I am pretty sure it is way too large to upload.
Than upload it without audio data, only .prj file. It should behave the
same with any source.
EricM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:36 PM   #8
bigdoggit

Default Here is the rpp file

Let me know if this helps you see what I am experiencing. Thanks again. I didn't think the project file would be enough but it makes sense know that I consider it.
Attached Files
File Type: rpp Gotta Be Me - weird flanger sound.RPP (5.9 KB, 223 views)
Old 05-31-2010, 02:42 PM   #9
bigdoggit

Default To Evil Dragon

Yes, I tried rendering to different formats but every time I render or glue the pitch of the instrument changes. I wanted help with that too. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:11 PM   #10
Bevosss

Glueing etc should not affect the pitch.

Try this: create a new project tab from the file menu, and paste the media in there, then trim and glue it...just to rule out a corrupted project.

Also, in Project Settings-set media format (for apply fx/glue etc), what is your format?
Old 05-31-2010, 06:48 PM   #11
Mr. Data

Hi Bigboggit,

the problem might be, that you have set the playback rate of your project to 1.078, whereas the playback rate of the "Original data" item is set to 0.92764. Depending on the time base project settings it could have been stretched due to make it fit to the grid and because the project playrate is faster, the item playrate is slower, but the rendered items are playing at a playrate of 1.

Change project- and item-playrate to 1 and try the whole procedure again.

HTH

-Data

Last edited by Mr. Data; 05-31-2010 at 06:56 PM.
Mr. Data is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:33 PM   #12
bigdoggit

Default Mr. Data

Thank you very much. That fixed it. I never noticed the project play rate had been set like that! I hate it when I overlook something that is right there in my face but eternally grateful for this your time. Good eye and hope you have had a great holiday.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:36 PM   #13
bigdoggit

Default to Bevosss

Thanks for your suggestions. My project settings were at their default, which was .wav for my system. What a relief to have moved beyond this annoying little issue.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:41 PM   #14
Mr. Data

Thanks, but there aren't any holidays here in Germany at the moment.

But nonetheless, no prob.

If you don't change the playrate that often, it might be a good idea, to make this fader invisible, 'cos it easily can happen to change it when you move the mouse over it while unintentionally clicking at the same time.

Right-click on an empty space in the transport bar and uncheck "Show play rate control".

-Data
Mr. Data is offline   Reply With Quote