Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 10-10-2016, 02:31 PM   #1
daswans
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper OS X Seirra Compatibility Issue (RESOLVED)

Anyone else having issues with Reaper on the new Sierra update?
I made the mistake of jumping on it right away and having major issues. Basically crashing with nearly every operation such as routing a channel, selecting sound card, render audio, selecting inputs to record on, and on.... changing plugin parameters....basically unusable.

Things I've done sofar-
Re-installation of Reaper including deleting .plist files, etc.
Permissions repair and disc first aid.

All of my hardware is working fine with NI Maschine so I don't think this is a driver issue there.

Any thoughts?

Update-
An interesting note- if I try to access anything in any menu such as go to File>Save I get the crash but if i use the command/s key command it will save. Literally anything I click to do without a shortcut will bring up the crash dialogue.

This is the exact dialogue that comes up-

Internal Error
An uncaught exception was raised.
Choose "Continue" to continue running in an inconsistent state.
Choose "Crash" to halt the application and file a bug with crash reporter.
Choosing "Crash" will result in the loss of all unsaved data.

There are buttons for "Show Details" "Crash" and "Continue"
and so clicking on any of the buttons does nothing. I can hit tab to select my options and hit return, but choosing "show details" does nothing, "Crash" and "Continue" both just close the window- I Don't get any details when choosing crash, and It doesn't actually crash, it just closes the window and the action intended does not happen.

Attached is the Crash File / error report
Attached Files
File Type: txt Reaper Sierra Crash (1).txt (71.4 KB, 293 views)
File Type: txt Reaper Sierra Crash (2).txt (64.3 KB, 443 views)

Last edited by daswans; 10-11-2016 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Update info
daswans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 12:12 PM   #2
Justin
Administrator

We're sorry to hear you're having trouble with this. We've tested extensively on 10.12 and were comfortable enough to add it to our supported OS list, but it's also not surprising that the new major release of an OS will cause problems for some users.

1) Have you tried renaming your ~/Library/Application Support/REAPER directory to see if that changes anything?

2) It's possible that a plug-in loaded is causing issues (I see from the crash report that many plug-ins are present -- we've tested however we can't test with all available plug-ins).

You might want to try loading your projects with all plug-ins offline (you can do this via a checkbox in REAPER's open window) to try to narrow down what plug-ins are problematic, but if there are many it may be simpler to restore your system to an earlier OS version via a backup.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 01:47 PM   #3
daswans

Thank you very much for the response, I have tried the following-

-Opened a brand new project (using key command shortcuts since clicking anything brings up the crash dialog) with clean slate- no fx or tracks. Still same problem selecting anything such as File>Save as same crash dialog comes up. Same thing if opening up a project with all plugins disabled.

-So if I change the Reaper directory name, it just creates a new one with the original ‘Reaper’ name so I tried changing the name of Reaper.app to say Reaper123.app does a vst re-scan on startup, but then brings up an dialog box stating :
SWS - Error
The version of SWS Extension you have installed is incompatible with your version of Reaper etc,
Yet my version is the most current- 2.8.3. I even deleted those files in my user plugins folder and reinstalled just in case.
After going past the dialog, same problem persists.

-I tried again to remove all reaper program files directory, .plist, etc. this time removing all plugins from the plugin path, removed SWS extension, problem persists.
-Also problem persists with no hardware device selected.

I think its safe to say its not a plugin or driver issue.

So basically any menu selection with the mouse brings up the crash dialog.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:09 PM   #4
Justin
Administrator

A crash report with no third party plug-ins loaded would be helpful.

It might also be worth trying a fresh Sierra install on a different drive to see if it behaves the same. What hardware is this?

All told, if you need to have things working immediately, it's probably worth restoring a previous OS version from a backup. There are probably plug-in compatibility issues with Sierra, as there always are for the first bit of a new macOS version.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:41 PM   #5
daswans

Im on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)
- Technical Specifications-
Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,3
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP112.0138.B17
SMC Version (system): 2.19f12

I've re-installed Sierra and then re-installed Reaper, also removing the plugin paths, clearing the cache and rescanning. Same problem with Reaper seeing nothing other than stock plugs. I only have a single internal SSD. Perhaps I can try installing on an external?

So I haven't been able to get a crash report as when the Internal Error window comes up clicking on the 'Show Details' and 'Crash' buttons have no effect. Not sure how the one I previously posted popped up... Is there a place Reaper might store an event log?

Last edited by daswans; 10-11-2016 at 04:02 PM.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:18 PM   #6
daswans

I was able to get a hard crash with an error log while trying to route audio from one track to another in the routing matrix.
This was on a new session with just a couple new tracks added, no plugins or audio, no audio hardware selected.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Reaper Sierra Crash (3).txt (80.7 KB, 225 views)

Last edited by daswans; 10-12-2016 at 05:18 PM.
Old 10-14-2016, 04:12 PM   #7
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daswans View Post
I was able to get a hard crash with an error log while trying to route audio from one track to another in the routing matrix.
This was on a new session with just a couple new tracks added, no plugins or audio, no audio hardware selected.
Thank you for this crash report -- is it something that you could get to happen reliably or does it work most of the time?

We've identified the probable cause of it, and will fix this for 5.27pre6, thanks!
Old 10-15-2016, 01:17 PM   #8
vanhaze

Odd,

I just tested, to reproduce this issue:
Routing audio from 1 track to another in both Routing Matrix and TCP and i totally don't experience any Reaper crash.

Must say that the tracks didn't have any plugins on them at all, for that matter.

Tested with:

Sierra 10.12.0 (CLEAN install)
Reaper 5.27pre5-64bit
Macbook retina 2015
Built-in audio
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 05:03 PM   #9
Justin
Administrator

Yeah, there seems to be something odd about the system in question. Trying to narrow it down now.

(In the process I did fix two bugs that were made evident from these troubles so it's beneficial regardless of the eventual outcome)
Old 10-16-2016, 12:41 AM   #10
vanhaze

Great Justin, many thanks for the effort !
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 12:59 AM   #11
daswans

ISSUE RESOLVED!

So I have no idea what exactly caused the issue, but a hard drive wipe and clean install fixed this issue.

On Justin's recommendation, I backed up my current system to Time Machine and did a clean hard drive wipe and re-installation of Sierra using a bootable USB drive. I then restored my system to the Time Machine backup and have not had any issues.

Thanks very much Justin for all your time and help, the level of support for Reaper has completely surpassed my expectations.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:26 AM   #12
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daswans View Post
ISSUE RESOLVED!

So I have no idea what exactly caused the issue, but a hard drive wipe and clean install fixed this issue.

On Justin's recommendation, I backed up my current system to Time Machine and did a clean hard drive wipe and re-installation of Sierra using a bootable USB drive. I then restored my system to the Time Machine backup and have not had any issues.

Thanks very much Justin for all your time and help, the level of support for Reaper has completely surpassed my expectations.
Ah, I'm happy that fixed your issue (and now we can recommend that to anybody else who encounters such a problem)!
Old 10-22-2016, 09:32 AM   #13
daswans

A little update-
so I think I have discovered exactly what was causing the weird 'Internal Error' box to come up.
So after doing the whole clean Sierra install it seemed I wasn't having anymore issues. I had been using a little app on startup called "RedQuits" ( http://www.carsten-mielke.com/redquits.html ) which was kind handy for the Mac which would completely close whatever application when you click its window's red x. So I realized I had yet to allow it permissions in Accessibility, and when I did get around to it- bingo! Reaper started giving me the 'Internal Error' again. Went to RedQuits prefs and deselected to run at startup, restarted, and back to normal. It looks like that app hasn't been updated for quite some time, kind of a cool little app but not a big deal to drop it.

Justin- maybe this can shed some light on exactly what was happening in Reaper?