Old 04-21-2014, 01:54 PM   #1
dbrozz
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper MIDI Drum Window

Hey guys,

I frequent the Sevenstring.org and Fractal Audio Forums under the same username, but have also been a long time Reaper user (Cockoos, you are an amazing company!) and decided it was finally time to register here as well!

Forgive me if this is in the wrong section (I have yet to find a "Request/Update/Things to Add" thread..)

I feel like Reaper would benefit from having the option to switch between it's current MIDI piano roll format (where notes can be stretched out to longer durations for VSTi instruments) and a dedicated Drum roll like Cubase has.

Besides guitars, bass and vox, all instruments in my mixes are VSTi (drums, synths, brass, strings, etc) and while the piano roll is great for synth stuff, it can get messy with drum programming. Not to mention how the keys don't actually have names, whereas Cubase's Drum MIDI roll appears to have this feature AFAIK.

I do not wish to leave Reaper for Cubase, as I believe it has many other pros that put it ahead of Cubase. This is only one feature I strongly wish that Reaper had, and I feel that Cockos is the kind of company that would take kindly to suggestions regardless of whether it is in the cards for the future.

How many of you would like to see this feature in Reaper as well?
dbrozz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:02 PM   #2
Fabian

Yeah, they sure are amazing those Cockos guys. Whatever you think of, they already thought of it and implemented it...

Look up Section 12 in the User Guide (http://www.cockos.com/reaper/userguide.php). There you have all your wishes come true... You can change the note styles to "Triangle Mode", which is perfect for drum programming, and you can load note names from file.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:11 PM   #3
dbrozz

Thank you, Fabian. I appreciate the reply!

To my surprise, a quick Google of the topic after I had posted revealed the same info. Both surprised, excited and feeling foolish all at once for posting without really researching this first off! Regardless, I can't thank Cockos enough for being a seriously solid company and always delivering. Cheers!
dbrozz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:57 PM   #4
David Perry

I personally prefer putting note starts on the grid so I don't like diamond mode and the triangles I find too small to grab easily and move. I set the note length at the bottom of the window to be 1/32 (unless I need 32nd notes then I set it to 1/64) and just go from there with all hits being of equal size. I find them easier to work with that way.

One issue with note names is I believe you have to load them in with each project. If there's an easier way to do that someone tell me.
David Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:06 PM   #5
DarkStar

^^^^
Create your track(s) with your drum plug-in and note names and save the lot as a Track Template.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:12 PM   #6
David Perry

So you're saying create a blank MIDI item and save that with the template? I don't understand how the Editor state can be saved with the track as a template unless you already have MIDI on there.
David Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:35 PM   #7
hopi

now don't overlook the MIDI Inline editor... you can have your note view there bars, diamonds and triangles as well.

sadly there is no way I know of to load a note names map to that however
...but ...If you make a trak template, and put in one note for every note your drums might use and also set 'hide unused rows'... it might help. Also you can have preview notes on so you get to hear the note as you clk on it.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:22 AM   #8
suleiman

Or use the included megababy !

Salamat
suleiman is offline   Reply With Quote