Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 04-16-2014, 10:39 AM   #1
georgemarauder
Human being with feelings

Default 4.611 More bugs than I can handle

Hello.

I'm new to Reaper and I generally like what I see, but I've experienced more bugs in the past few days than I ever have with years working with Reason 5!

The following bugs have occurred:

1. Tempo sync LFO falling out of time with the track.

2. Midi data not triggering on correct position (downbeat), falls out of time with track.

3. Midi data drops random notes, particularly when sequencing drum patterns (a hi-hat will be missed or a snare won't trigger).

4. Sometimes random midi data will trigger, such as an extra note in an arpeggiator that I didn't sequence.

5. Sometimes an arpeggiator switches from Up to Down without my doing so.

6. Rendered mp3s have all sorts of weird bugs, such as random midi data not rendering, and all the bugs above rearing their heads in the rendered tracks.

What is going on here? Am I just unlucky? I'm using an Alienware laptop with plenty of RAM and CPU, it's a top of the line rig. Windows 7 Professional, etc.

I'd like to continue using Reaper but I really hope these bugs get taken care of.
georgemarauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:38 PM   #2
Fabian

I have no real input, but I've not seen any of those problems. Maybe you could send us the rpp-file (audio files need not be included) so we can take a look.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:59 PM   #3
AbstractDissonance

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgemarauder View Post
Hello.

I'm new to Reaper and I generally like what I see, but I've experienced more bugs in the past few days than I ever have with years working with Reason 5!

2. Midi data not triggering on correct position (downbeat), falls out of time with track.

3. Midi data drops random notes, particularly when sequencing drum patterns (a hi-hat will be missed or a snare won't trigger).

4. Sometimes random midi data will trigger, such as an extra note in an arpeggiator that I didn't sequence.

6. Rendered mp3s have all sorts of weird bugs, such as random midi data not rendering, and all the bugs above rearing their heads in the rendered tracks.

What is going on here? Am I just unlucky? I'm using an Alienware laptop with plenty of RAM and CPU, it's a top of the line rig. Windows 7 Professional, etc.

I'd like to continue using Reaper but I really hope these bugs get taken care of.
Midi in reaper is very buggy. I've seen all kinds of bugs. I've just been experiencing a really weird timing bug. I have a track with two vsti's on it. Same midi going into it. Yet they get out of sync somehow. Seems like it would be impossible for this to happen, yet it does. Maybe plugin specific as it has only been happening since I started using this specific vsti and never noticed it before(or can't remember... although I have experienced some timing issues before but never this consistent and bad)

My guess is some of the problems are reapers, some are yours due to your setup/computer. If the laptop is too slow or lags a lot of these problems would happen. If the samples are loaded on demand and the laptop can't keep up then it simply will skip them in some cases or they will play late making you think there is a timing problem.

The best way to figure all this out is to try and make the minimal project that exhibits the problem. If you can do this then things might be clearer and if it is reaper, you can post the project to help them fix it.

Last edited by AbstractDissonance; 04-16-2014 at 04:06 PM.
AbstractDissonance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:52 PM   #4
georgemarauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbstractDissonance View Post
Midi in reaper is very buggy. I've seen all kinds of bugs. I've just been experiencing a really weird timing bug. I have a track with two vsti's on it. Same midi going into it. Yet they get out of sync somehow. Seems like it would be impossible for this to happen, yet it does. Maybe plugin specific as it has only been happening since I started using this specific vsti and never noticed it before(or can't remember... although I have experienced some timing issues before but never this consistent and bad)

My guess is some of the problems are reapers, some are yours due to your setup/computer. If the laptop is too slow or lags a lot of these problems would happen. If the samples are loaded on demand and the laptop can't keep up then it simply will skip them in some cases or they will play late making you think there is a timing problem.

The best way to figure all this out is to try and make the minimal project that exhibits the problem. If you can do this then things might be clearer and if it is reaper, you can post the project to help them fix it.
I appreciate the input but my laptop is a top of the line Alienware M17x with i7 processor, 8 gigs of RAM and a 256gb SSD. There's no way I'm pushing the limits of this beast. And the tracks that I've had these bugs in were all pretty minimal to begin with. Just basic electronic tracks with 3 or 4 parts.

I also use Reason 5, Adobe Audition, Ableton Live and have had no issues with those programs. Only Reaper.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:53 PM   #5
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Quote:
Hello.

That sounds quite a bit like you have one or more non-threadsafe 32-bit plug-in running (e.g. freebies made with SynthEdit) without firewalling them, which are poking around in memory that's not theirs.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:36 AM   #6
DarkStar

Perhaps you could compress a simple problem project file (no audio samples needed) into a ZIP file and post it here as an attachment so we can have a look at it and see what's (not) happening?
Old 04-17-2014, 01:00 PM   #7
AbstractDissonance

Quote:
I appreciate the input but my laptop is a top of the line Alienware M17x with i7 processor, 8 gigs of RAM and a 256gb SSD. There's no way I'm pushing the limits of this beast. And the tracks that I've had these bugs in were all pretty minimal to begin with. Just basic electronic tracks with 3 or 4 parts.

I also use Reason 5, Adobe Audition, Ableton Live and have had no issues with those programs. Only Reaper.
Fast computer is good, at least on paper. Sometimes they do stupid things to make them behave the way they do. I once had a laptop and audio was noisy as if the computer was lagging to hell. I'd hear noise in the audio + it would pop and crackle so much it was unusable. This only happened when using the usb interface.

Turns out it was some stupid bios issue and the manufacture had some patch. Took me a few weeks to realize this because I never imagined it would be a bios issue... and it was a rare issue so not much in searches.

My guess is your laptop is fine though. If you are truly not having issues in those other programs and using the same things(midi, vst's, and vsti's) then it looks like it's reaper.

Easiest way to know is for you to post a minimal project that exhibit's the issue on your end. I know it's a bitch to setup such a project sometimes but
it makes it easy to at least conclusively confirm if it is reaper or not. If it is reaper then chances are it is settings.

Alternatively, you could try a fresh portable install and see if that changes anything.
AbstractDissonance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:26 PM   #8
Kundalinguist

My question would be WHY? are you not using Reason 7 - seems to me you know your way around MIDI implementations and now with its having audio features...need I say more?

I use Reaper, Reason, Studio One and a kettle for making tea, so I have lots of options.

Not saying your issues with Reaper aren't fixable—just curious why you jumped ship?
Old 04-18-2014, 11:42 AM   #9
georgemarauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kundalinguist View Post
My question would be WHY? are you not using Reason 7 - seems to me you know your way around MIDI implementations and now with its having audio features...need I say more?

I use Reaper, Reason, Studio One and a kettle for making tea, so I have lots of options.

Not saying your issues with Reaper aren't fixable—just curious why you jumped ship?
I just wanted to try something with VST support, and Reaper has a trial period so I thought it would be good to give it a shot.

I like it so far, but I'm still wrapping my head around it, and with the bugs I've experienced it's been a little frustrating but not TOO bad. I want to stick with it and see what it has to offer.

Ideally I'd like to rewire Reason to it and have the best of both worlds. I can't seem to figure out how to do that yet, but I guess I will keep trying.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:06 PM   #10
EvilDragon

Quote:

These are most likely not Reaper's fault, but plugin's fault. Arp mode could switch if you send a particular CC to the plugin, for example. Extra notes in the arp, first time I ever heard that one, and I'm using Reaper for 5 years now. Definitely never happened here.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:50 PM   #11
Mink99

@george
It would be helpful to know, which vsti(s) you had been using (or was it even hardware) . Although I am not always confident with the midi implementation in reaper, the described flaws are in fact things that I never saw during my experience with reaper.

As reason does not even offer vst support, there might have been som configuration issues, when you tried to migrate sth from reason to reaper.
Mink99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:32 PM   #12
georgemarauder

The VSTs that are affected by these glitches are:

Synth1
OBX-D
TS-808
Kong (Reason 5 Rewired)

The biggest bug so far has been the dropped midi data. This is popping up time and again for me. I will sequence a drum track and play it back over many bars. Eventually, a note is going to drop. Usually it's a hi-hat or a snare or whatever, but rest assured that the drop is going to happen. I usually just live with it and keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't happen when I render.

Also, as I was typing this, another glitch happened. I was playing back a track and a note got stuck and infinitely sustained throughout the playback. Nothing serious but again, I'd just keep my fingers crossed it doesn't happen during rendering.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:35 PM   #13
Mink99

There are two different ways that you use to control your synths. One is rewire, where you control the reason stuff, and one is the standard way to embed a vst, this is where you use synth one, obx and ts808.

Do the drum/seq/beats related things happen in both , kong and ts808 or only in one ?

Was the midi sequencing for the reason stuff within the reason sequencer or within reaper ?

Last edited by Mink99; 04-24-2014 at 11:47 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:36 AM   #14
georgemarauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink99 View Post
Do the drum/seq/beats related things happen in both , kong and ts808 or only in one ?

Was the midi sequencing for the reason stuff within the reason sequencer or within reaper ?
The dropouts (which also happen on synths, not just drums. Today I had a synth drop a few notes during various playbacks) occur in both Kong and TS-808. The synths that dropped notes were my lead synth (Synth1) and my bass synth (OBX-D).

I sequence the Reason stuff inside Reaper.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:45 PM   #15
Mink99

Ok then we are one step further.

Next, please run a latency mon (w7 or 8) / dpc latency check (XP ) session on your machine, whether these dropouts are induced by reaper or an ill configured motherboard / OS.

What is the OS you are using ? If 7 or higher, do you have reaper running in 32 or 64 bit ?
Old 04-25-2014, 12:57 PM   #16
plush2

Hi George, I think Mink99 might be on to one of the possible bug creators in your system. If you are using a mix of 32bit and 64bit programs that are connecting to each other through Rewire it may be causing strange behavior. If you are running a 64bit OS perhaps trying the opposite (32bit/64bit) version of Reaper from the one you are using might improve or make the situation worse. Either way it will tell us something about the problems.

Incidentally, which versions of Audition and Ableton are you using? Are they 32bit or 64bit?

Ultimately the best thing would be for someone using Reaper and Reason linked over Rewire to chime in...I know there are quite a few lurking around here. They would at least be able to test out some of your problems.

Also, could you post an RPP file which causes synth1 and obxd to do occasional dropouts on your system. I have synth1 and obxd and I'd be happy to check both my rigs to see if I can cause the same bug.
plush2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:45 PM   #17
georgemarauder

Quote:
Ok then we are one step further.

Next, please run a latency mon (w7 or 8) / dpc latency check (XP ) session on your machine, whether these dropouts are induced by reaper or an ill configured motherboard / OS.

What is the OS you are using ? If 7 or higher, do you have reaper running in 32 or 64 bit ?
What's a latency mon?

I have Windows 7 64 bit Professional and I run Reaper in 64 bit. My system is an Alienware M17x R4 with an i7 processor, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 750 GB HDD and a SoundBlaster Recon 3DI soundcard.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:46 PM   #18
karbomusic

Quote:
What's a latency mon?
http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon
Old 04-25-2014, 01:51 PM   #19
EvilDragon

Wow, SoundBlaster. How about having a proper audio interface?
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:54 PM   #20
georgemarauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by plush2 View Post
Hi George, I think Mink99 might be on to one of the possible bug creators in your system. If you are using a mix of 32bit and 64bit programs that are connecting to each other through Rewire it may be causing strange behavior. If you are running a 64bit OS perhaps trying the opposite (32bit/64bit) version of Reaper from the one you are using might improve or make the situation worse. Either way it will tell us something about the problems.

Incidentally, which versions of Audition and Ableton are you using? Are they 32bit or 64bit?

Ultimately the best thing would be for someone using Reaper and Reason linked over Rewire to chime in...I know there are quite a few lurking around here. They would at least be able to test out some of your problems.

Also, could you post an RPP file which causes synth1 and obxd to do occasional dropouts on your system. I have synth1 and obxd and I'd be happy to check both my rigs to see if I can cause the same bug.
I don't really feel comfortable posting an RPP file of a full project of mine that someone could potentially rip off and claim as their own. Would it be alright to delete everything except say, the drum track, and then save that as an RPP and post it? Would you still be able to learn anything from that?

As far as I know I am running everything in 64-bit, all programs and effects (although some of the VSTs may only be 32-bit since that's all they support, etc.)

The dropout problem is annoying but it only occasionally affects my renders. As long as I can get off a clean render without it happening, I'll live with it. But it's tricky because the dropouts just happen at random and I'm never sure what's going to happen next with this program.

Also, sometimes I get infinitely sustaining notes that trigger at random as well. These don't go away until I hit the stop button a few times and restart the playback. Those don't seem to happen as often as the dropouts do (these dropouts happen pretty often), but they still hit every once in awhile. I've also had a glitch with a forever-sustaining note that was able to be replicated by me. It happened when I automated the step timing of a Kirnu arpeggiator track. Whenever I went from 1/8 to 1/16, a note would sustain forever and ruin it, so I had to delete that automation and forget it.

Weird stuff happening.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:55 PM   #21
georgemarauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Wow, SoundBlaster. How about having a proper audio interface?
What do you mean? I don't use any hardware except a USB midi controller. The Recon3DI is actually a decent soundcard. Better than most laptop cards that come stock.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:04 PM   #22
plush2

Quote:
I don't really feel comfortable posting an RPP file of a full project of mine that someone could potentially rip off and claim as their own. Would it be alright to delete everything except say, the drum track, and then save that as an RPP and post it? Would you still be able to learn anything from that?
As long as the RPP you send exhibits (even occasionally) the problem you describe it can be a 4 bar loop of quarter note kick drum...unless that's your signature sound.

Also, does the problem happen when you are not rewired to Reason? I only ask because from my little bit of digging I think Reason 5 is 32bit only. It seems they made the jump to a 64bit app at Reason 6. Please correct me if I'm wrong. This may not be the problem but it is a potentially unusual element in your setup.
plush2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:26 PM   #23
karbomusic

Quote:
The Recon3DI is actually a decent soundcard. Better than most laptop cards that come stock.
Because they typically aren't designed with DAWs in mind but rather home theatre and gaming. I'm not speaking of the sound quality but rather the susceptibility of issues when using them with DAWs. Once you start doing the heavy lifting you appear to be doing, a soundcard more designed for the task is the first thing on the to do list IMHO. That doesn't mean it won't work, that doesn't mean it isn't good, that doesn't mean someone else doesn't use one with Reaper without having issues. It does mean don't forget that it "could" be contributing to some issues.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:42 PM   #24
georgemarauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Because they typically aren't designed with DAWs in mind but rather home theatre and gaming. I'm not speaking of the sound quality but rather the susceptibility of issues when using them with DAWs. Once you start doing the heavy lifting you appear to be doing, a soundcard more designed for the task is the first thing on the to do list IMHO. That doesn't mean it won't work, that doesn't mean it isn't good, that doesn't mean someone else doesn't use one with Reaper without having issues. It does mean don't forget that it "could" be contributing to some issues.
Hey, I appreciate the heads up, I never thought about my soundcard being an issue. That said, though, I never once had a problem with it using Reason or Audition. So again, I get a little suspicious when I'm using a new DAW and I have all these issues, when my old gear worked perfectly fine with my setup for the past year. But that said, I will keep it in mind and definitely upgrade to a more DAW-friendly card in the future!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plush2 View Post
As long as the RPP you send exhibits (even occasionally) the problem you describe it can be a 4 bar loop of quarter note kick drum...unless that's your signature sound.

Also, does the problem happen when you are not rewired to Reason? I only ask because from my little bit of digging I think Reason 5 is 32bit only. It seems they made the jump to a 64bit app at Reason 6. Please correct me if I'm wrong. This may not be the problem but it is a potentially unusual element in your setup.
Now that you mention it, I'm pretty sure the dropouts have occurred in all my ReWired projects (which are the last few projects I've done). I honestly can't remember having this issue before I started ReWiring, so that definitely could have something to do with it. I will have to upgrade to a new version of Reason soon as well. Hopefully that fixes things.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:22 PM   #25
musicbynumbers

Hope you get these sorted.

had a quick read through and although this is probably obvious, have you put your laptop in high performance power saving mode as this will stop the computer ramping up and down the processor which reaper can be picky about if your latency is too low.

Sorry if that's an obvious one always worth mentioning though!
Old 04-25-2014, 03:23 PM   #26
karbomusic

Quote:
Hey, I appreciate the heads up, I never thought about my soundcard being an issue. That said, though, I never once had a problem with it using Reason or Audition. So again, I get a little suspicious when I'm using a new DAW and I have all these issues, when my old gear worked perfectly fine with my setup for the past year. But that said, I will keep it in mind and definitely upgrade to a more DAW-friendly card in the future!
I was freewheeling it there a little FYI. I was just adding how the sound card is something you don't want to ignore but I cannot say it is the cause of these particular symptoms. Just keep it in mind (as you said).
Old 04-25-2014, 03:27 PM   #27
georgemarauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I was freewheeling it there a little FYI. I was just adding how the sound card is something you don't want to ignore but I cannot say it is the cause of these particular symptoms. Just keep it in mind (as you said).
Nonetheless, it wouldn't be a bad idea to upgrade the soundcard in the future anyway, especially since I plan on integrating more hardware with my setup. I will definitely look into a proper interface at that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
Hope you get these sorted.

had a quick read through and although this is probably obvious, have you put your laptop in high performance power saving mode as this will stop the computer ramping up and down the processor which reaper can be picky about if your latency is too low.

Sorry if that's an obvious one always worth mentioning though!
I always keep my laptop in high performance mode (I never use the battery - it's always plugged in).

I'm not sure what you're suggesting, though. Are you saying it might be a better idea to put it in power saving mode? I never thought of this but if it helps I'll consider it.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:36 PM   #28
ivansc

Hi, George - escaped that other thread, where there seems to be a mini vendetta starting up!

I suspect that the soundcard issue could well be giving you some of your issues.
Not because of anything wrong with the soundcard itself, more the TYPE of driver software generally available with the typical onboard soundcard.

I don`t recall you mentioning if you were using something like ASIO4ALL or not, but before you exhaust all other avenues and have to spend any money, it might be worth a go.
If you are unfamiliar with A4A it sort of kludges up the OS to think the usual windows sound drivers are ASIO ones.
Not perfect, but might alleviate the problems and point you in the right general direction for a full fix. Plus it is free!

Posting this because, having read all your earlier posts, it really does seem like at least part of your trouble is connected with the sheer amount of stuff you are now doing between reaper and reason making your system sweat somewhere. I would be very surprised if it was anything connected with your cpu or the amount/speed of your ram.
At least if you can verify that you don`t have some system resource somewhere hogging your bandwidth and of course that your current soundcard isn`t causing at least some of the issues, you ARE narrowing it down.
Good luck!
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:33 PM   #29
georgemarauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Hi, George - escaped that other thread, where there seems to be a mini vendetta starting up!

I suspect that the soundcard issue could well be giving you some of your issues.
Not because of anything wrong with the soundcard itself, more the TYPE of driver software generally available with the typical onboard soundcard.

I don`t recall you mentioning if you were using something like ASIO4ALL or not, but before you exhaust all other avenues and have to spend any money, it might be worth a go.
If you are unfamiliar with A4A it sort of kludges up the OS to think the usual windows sound drivers are ASIO ones.
Not perfect, but might alleviate the problems and point you in the right general direction for a full fix. Plus it is free!

Posting this because, having read all your earlier posts, it really does seem like at least part of your trouble is connected with the sheer amount of stuff you are now doing between reaper and reason making your system sweat somewhere. I would be very surprised if it was anything connected with your cpu or the amount/speed of your ram.
At least if you can verify that you don`t have some system resource somewhere hogging your bandwidth and of course that your current soundcard isn`t causing at least some of the issues, you ARE narrowing it down.
Good luck!
Appreciate you trying to help me.

I downloaded the ASIO4ALL drivers and am using them now. So far, so good. Haven't had a dropout yet and the latency is pretty darn low.

I'm nearly positive it's not my CPU or RAM sweating, because I'm not even using half of my RAM and the CPU usage stays very low overall.

Hoping this Asio thing fixes the problems. We'll see. I'll report back after more use.

Edit - After selecting the ASIO drivers in Reaper, I no longer have sound on my computer other than what plays in Reaper. Any way I can fix that?
Old 04-25-2014, 05:08 PM   #30
Mink99

You cannot fix this. This is the concept of ASIO that one sound card is tied exclusively to one distinct application to achieve the obviously higher performance and lower latency than the standard windows drivers.

Please do the latency mon check....

But that was now step two and three. We are getting closer ....
Old 04-25-2014, 05:28 PM   #31
Banned

It seems to me most of these issues are related to MIDI, and ASIO does not have much if anything to do with that, afaik. To hunt down the cause of the issues, I'd suggest using MIDI monitor tools/applications 'everywhere' and staring at the log whenever you're hearing a missed or stuck note. Inside REAPER, you can use ReaControlMIDI for that ('Show Log').

And, fwiw, REAPER's *very* flexible routing is powerful enough to let you *create* these sort of issues yourself. It could be interesting to see all the MIDI routings in your project, even without any content (audio / MIDI) at all. Also, as Plush2 suggested, try to eliminate ReWire from the setup and see if the issue persists.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:41 PM   #32
georgemarauder

Quote:
You cannot fix this. This is the concept of ASIO that one sound card is tied exclusively to one distinct application to achieve the obviously higher performance and lower latency than the standard windows drivers.

Please do the latency mon check....

But that was now step two and three. We are getting closer ....
Did the latency test. It said my computer was having trouble processing real-time audio, etc., so I had to fix that. Now it's suitable for real-time audio.

So I'm guessing this is the source of the "bug". We'll see if I have any more dropouts from here and I'll report back.

Thanks a lot for the help so far! You guys rock!
Old 04-26-2014, 08:41 AM   #33
georgemarauder

Today had a few dropouts on various ReWired projects. I will try a project without ReWire and see if that changes anything.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:22 AM   #34
Banned

Quote:
Did the latency test. It said my computer was having trouble processing real-time audio, etc., so I had to fix that. Now it's suitable for real-time audio.

So I'm guessing this is the source of the "bug". We'll see if I have any more dropouts from here and I'll report back.
While it's good you got the low latency audio stuff sorted out, I'm guessing it's *not* the source of the issues in the OP, and that you're barking up the wrong tree there. A missed MIDI note is *not* an audio 'dropout', it's a MIDI 'dropout'. And afaik your audio config certainly can't explain random/extra MIDI notes being triggered.

I'd still suggest monitoring the MIDI streams going in and out of REAPER, individual plug-ins, arpeggiators, (Reason, ReWire, ) etc. That should give a better clue as to what's going on.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:39 AM   #35
ivansc

Banned: Never really needed it, but would MIDIOX be a useful tool for him here?

At least he could watch the pretty lights if nothing else....

On a more serious note, if your overall system is up to it, you CAN use more than one sound source with the latest version of ASIO4ALL according to their website.

I have never tried it as I had a decent interface with ASIO drivers right from the start.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:12 PM   #36
georgemarauder

Quote:
On a more serious note, if your overall system is up to it, you CAN use more than one sound source with the latest version of ASIO4ALL according to their website.

I have never tried it as I had a decent interface with ASIO drivers right from the start.
Hmm. I would like to know how that's possible then. I did a little research last night and couldn't find a decent fix. It was an hour long headache, to be honest. Care to link me to something that explains it for a dummy like me?
Old 04-27-2014, 07:45 AM   #37
ivansc

Part of the blurb for ASIO4All version 2 - a recent release - was that you COULD use more than one device.
No idea how as I have only ever used it VERY briefly on a friends system that had problems.
Those we resolved by getting him a "proper" recording type soundcard/interface in the end.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:21 AM   #38
Mink99

Want to listen to iTunes music while doing a mixdown ?
Or do a Skype chat ?

Only because it's possible you shouldn't do that only because it's possible .

A consumer grade (sorry prosumer) sound card that needs steroids (a4a) to be convinced to behave somehow like a studio device, should not be forced to do things like that.

A4a has three usage scenarios :

1. Make a consumer sound card usable in a daw (by providing an asio emulation )
2. Create a composite device , like on mac
3. Create a multiclient asio device (as mentioned here, I did not know that, but there was a steinbergs driver for that too : http://vidance.com/asiomulti/asiomulti.msi )

But , from what I have seen, these 3 scenarios should not be mixed.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:08 PM   #39
Banned

Quote:
Banned: Never really needed it, but would MIDIOX be a useful tool for him here?
Yes, I guess that would do just fine for some quick diagnostic checks.

(I forgot what I tended to use myself for this sort of stuff on Windows... but for OS X, I can recommend snoize's MIDI Monitor; very lean and mean.)

NB: while such external tools are usually very handy (in addition to native tools), ReWire MIDI connections are much more difficult to snoop on using external tools, though... that would work best inside the ReWired apps.
Quote:
That would be great.

But, I think we're getting a bit OT... and since I don't intend any flaming, I didn't reply to the quote below earlier, but it makes me chuckle a bit, knowing that every Mac user can use built-in audio with multiple applications simultaneously at pretty low latency. Whatever anyone may think of Apple, CoreAudio simply rocks.
Quote:
Well, obviously standard windows drivers suck, but ASIO being butter does not imply that one sound card needs to be tied exclusively to one distinct application to achieve high performance and low latency. CoreAudio proves that point.

Unfortunately, and much unlike Apple, Windows simply needs to deal with any crap audio hardware you can find out there, so Microsoft probably can't really afford to optimize Windows for higher end audio gear, like Apple can for their (extremely) limited range of relatively good spec'ed systems. The typical difficulties with setting up a fully working hackint0sh system with crap audio hardware prove *that* point.

But to come back to the OP, I'll say again that I really don't think any audio driver issues can explain the issues in the OP. MIDI issues typically do not have much if anything at all to do with that. And for another thing, you can *render* to mp3 in REAPER even without any audio card connected. So I'm afraid barking up that tree can be confusing rather than helpful, although it's obviously sensible and well intended advice.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:23 PM   #40
Mink99

Currently we do not know whether midi notes are dropped or the audio output of some elements is missing.

Or what weird things happen in the rewire thunking 64/32 bit.

That is why we should analyse systematically:

1. Bridging 32/64 bit / asio environment / overall hardware
2. Latency mon check
3. Midi environment
4. Specific plugins etc
5. Reaper specific stuff

.... Or sth similar

Steps 1&2 gave us already some hints or suggestions for improvement, when the identified issues are solved, and George is working on it, we might have a stable base to proceed further...

Btw midi ox (better to say midi yoke ) will not help, because you might be able to send midi to reason but you will not get audio back. Maybe rewire with no midi transfer at all and using the internal sequencer from reason for the reason instruments would help. But that is a guess at the moment.