Old 08-31-2009, 03:12 PM   #1
mctavish
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper training

is there anywhere i can get some Reaper training in London?

I'm new to DAW's and will work my way through the manual but would like some hands on training too.
mctavish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:34 AM   #2
Klemperer

As in Hamburg, I of course don't know who can teach you Reaper in London. But you know there are a few (some old, but still useful) videos too?

Then, as a reader of the superb Reamix- book, I am more than sure that besides the manual the ReaperPower! book should be outstanding. You can see info about it HERE.

And someone from London might come to your place and give you lessons, there must be people from London using Reaper
Klemperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:07 PM   #3
tweeksound

Fly me to London and set me up in a decent hotel and I will teach you everything I know about Reaper!
tweeksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 03:31 PM   #4
mctavish

thanks.

i'm getting a bit worn out by documentation after slowly coming to grips with Max over the past few months. I'll finish working my way through the videos and the latest reaper manual. if there's any London based experts out there who fancy earning £20 an hour cash in hand for a few hours tuition each month, please let me know. I could come to you. I really want some basic instruction in mixing and production and am half thinking about taking a 30hr part time introduction to pro tools course at city lit but don't really want to as i'm pretty sure Reaper's the one for me.

sorry i can't offer more cash.

cheers
Old 09-01-2009, 03:34 PM   #5
mctavish

...and i will get that ReaMix, looks good!
Old 09-01-2009, 04:28 PM   #6
Tedwood

mctavish.
To learn about daws will take some time and effort but you will rewarded with a very special knowledge. Arguably more so if you are also creative.

Stick with it, but don't try to do it on your own.

Yes read the manual (at your own pace)

I wish I could offer some hands on training, I would really love to help but I am too far away.

You sound very serious about this. If you know what you want to do, and you are already a bit computer savvy you may not need to lay out a lot of cash.

The folks here will help you a lot. More than anywhere else I know of.

I have been on lot's of courses and found that in my earnestness to learn the courses just did not deliver at the speed I could learn by myself. I'm not saying they were useless - just not very good value

I think, and it's only my opinion, that if you take small steps and you are not afraid to ask for help, and do your own research you won't find it so hard.

People love to help noobs here, if they don't throw tantrums, and even then they just tell them to calm down a bit

Maybe you can get some training, maybe not, it's not really a block. Learning this sort of thing is much easier now than it used to be - trust me.

BTW - If you find my comments useful I will be requiring £40 for my trouble
Old 09-01-2009, 04:53 PM   #7
Lucian

Reamix was eye opening for me. The other books are sort of more reference material which is great but they explain how things work. Reamix has a generous helping of mixing theory and examples of why these features are useful and how to use them. I know of no better text book on the art of using Reaper.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:53 PM   #8
mctavish

i guess i'll stick to the written page for now and check back here regularly. i'm enjoying the manual and i'm also reading 'Mixing Audio' by Izhaki which is good and i have a copy of Mixing With the Mind on its way from Australia. add ReaMix into the formula and I probably have all i need. i'm putting in a few hours most days after the day job and have made amazing progress over the past few months in the other areas i've explored so far so i'm confident I'll get to grips with it all eventually. i guess what i'd really like is some studio time to just observe someone who really knows what they're doing but at the end of the day it's not necessary.

the potential of Reaper is staggering. i'm in love with the routing even though i still don't fully GET it. i look forward to being proficient enough to not have to think about the tools and why they're fucking up every few minutes.

thanks for the welcome and more good advice
Old 09-02-2009, 05:18 PM   #9
Jae.Thomas

if you need any training i suggest 3 things:

1. ask tons of questions here

2. go to the chat (in my sig)

3. if you want, i can help you out, theres a few ways to get in touch with me, one really great thing to do is download crossloop

http://www.crossloop.com/ipage.htm?id=download

and you can have someone take over your pc and show you things, ive used this talking to people and helping them with some things and it works great
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:56 PM   #10
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedwood View Post
mctavish.
To learn about daws will take some time and effort but you will rewarded with a very special knowledge. Arguably more so if you are also creative.
I just want to say "amen" to that. It probably takes a good year or more really to learn, then a lifetime to master. One thing I can guarantee. You won't get bored!
nicholas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:40 PM   #11
Jae.Thomas

eerm, reamix is AWESOME too btw.
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:44 PM   #12
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Assuming you got a skatepark nearby, a couch to crash on, and airfare for my bike, I'm there!

Actually getting a projector right now for making a seminar set at the Kompound: 2 hours a day over four weeks then another four weeks of hands on
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 01:26 PM   #13
mctavish

thanks Jason, generous offer. i'll plough on for the now and maybe take you up on that later when i truly hit a brick wall if that's ok.

pipelineaudio, you're welcome to the couch anytime, didn't you know that the streets of London are paved with skate parks?
Old 09-04-2009, 03:30 AM   #14
susbemol

mctavish, I sent you a PM a couple of days ago. Check it out.
susbemol is offline   Reply With Quote