Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 06-09-2015, 05:41 PM   #1
nizzebro
Human being with feelings

Default Step MIDI editor (aka Sower) updated

Greetings,
Added ability to edit note velocities/length/offset by moving sliders
on a pull-out panel.

Added plugin version for Reaper 5 pre-release.

Fixed a number of bugs.

Now there's two versions - freeware (limited in data saving), and paid version for those people who really need this extension The price is very low.

http://nizzei8q.bget.ru/sower/index.php
nizzebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:10 PM   #2
Doc Brown

Very cool concept. I think it's definitely worth purchasing.
Doc Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:41 AM   #3
ivansc

Rather nice! And frankly well worth $12 US.

(grin) adding all the stuff Cockos didnt know would be useful???

Next, the "proper" arrangement editor...?
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 01:12 AM   #4
PitchSlap

Not sure if it's already possible but it would be nice to have support for dotted notes, triplets and swing. 32nd notes should be the finest resolution at least.

Also, in terms of the demo limitations I think it would be better if the settings were saved with the demo, but only recalled with the full version.

Knowing that all work will be lost doesn't really give much incentive to learn the full functionality, but all it takes is a single good idea someone wants to recall to get them to fork over their $12...
Old 06-10-2015, 01:36 AM   #5
nizzebro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Rather nice! And frankly well worth $12 US.

(grin) adding all the stuff Cockos didnt know would be useful???

Next, the "proper" arrangement editor...?
Frankly i'd prefer a 'donation' button on my site.. but faced some local difficulties with that type of work at this time.
Old 06-10-2015, 01:51 AM   #6
nizzebro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post
Not sure if it's already possible but it would be nice to have support for dotted notes, triplets and swing. 32nd notes should be the finest resolution at least.

Also, in terms of the demo limitations I think it would be better if the settings were saved with the demo, but only recalled with the full version.

Knowing that all work will be lost doesn't really give much incentive to learn the full functionality, but all it takes is a single good idea someone wants to recall to get them to fork over their $12...
Thank you for this remark. It really would be the best solution to allow saving data. Though I'm confused by the fact that Reaper does not delete extension data from the project after dll remove and displays message every time the project is loaded. Anyway, I will think about it
Old 06-10-2015, 01:56 AM   #7
nizzebro

Quote:

Yes, I think it is possible to implement some "triplet mode".
Old 06-15-2015, 02:49 PM   #8
X-Raym

Interesting ! Thanks for this !

Last edited by X-Raym; 08-16-2015 at 02:30 PM.
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:32 AM   #9
timbralzoom

Hi,
if i am not mistaken,
currently seems only 1 bar at a time..
is it possible to extend this to 4.8.16 bars ?
timbralzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 01:38 PM   #10
loopa

Looks very cool and has what I miss from FL Studio!

It would also be nice if you could add cc messages as sliders besides velocity but it's still very functional

Cheers,
Loopas
loopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 04:03 PM   #11
nizzebro

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbralzoom View Post
Hi,
if i am not mistaken,
Thank you for this remark, it would indeed be an useful additional option.
I'll try to include it in the next update.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:11 PM   #12
nizzebro

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopa View Post
Looks very cool and has what I miss from FL Studio!

It would also be nice if you could add cc messages as sliders besides velocity but it's still very functional

Cheers,
Loopas
Thank you. Yes, I think it's worth to include next time.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:13 PM   #13
timbralzoom

that's sounds great news to me
Old 07-24-2015, 09:16 AM   #14
nizzebro

Plug-in is updated (v. 1.1)

A number of bug fixes.

New features:

Triplets.

Ability to set time resolution limit

MIDI processor: Quantize/Swing/Speed-up/Humanize with one click

Program options

Skins

Undo points

Installer.

Planned:

Built-in sampler to drag-n-drop samples from Media explorer

Library to save/load MIDI beats

http://nizzei8q.bget.ru/sower/download.php
Old 07-25-2015, 03:18 AM   #15
loopa

Really cool! You're totally creating FL Studio step sequencer in Reaper. This is why I love this SAW. Over time because it's API is open you get more and more goodies from people with their own unique vision and needs.

I'm buying this right now
Old 07-31-2015, 07:24 AM   #16
nizzebro

v.1.2
Various bug fixes
Old 08-16-2015, 02:13 AM   #17
GaryG

I can't seem to install this on my 32 bit windows 7 system; says it can't access the 64bit registry keys on my version of windows (well, no, it wouldn't... )

Is there a separate installer or something I've missed...?

Cheers.
GaryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 02:27 PM   #18
jaaypeso

Messed around with the demo today....AWESOME extension. Definitely buying.

One suggestion....and I know this may not be an easy thing to add, but a little "fl style" indicator that tells you where the playback cursor is in the sower pattern (even if just when its in loop mode) would help in programming a bit. Kinda like how in the built in midi-editor in reaper the playback marker shows you where playback is.

Big fan of what you've put together so far, and can't wait to see what is added next.
Old 08-16-2015, 05:01 PM   #19
PitchSlap

I just watched the demo video again. I think I'm going to re-download and play around again.

One suggestion I think would be really helpful is when using Sower in multi-mode, it would be great to be able to filter the visible rows by key so we don't have a bunch of unnecessary rows in the way. If there's a way to access Reaper's scales files that would be ideal, but otherwise a dropdown for root note and the ability to choose between major/minor would be sufficient for most cases.

Randomize steps (current row/all rows) would also be cool.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:56 AM   #20
Win Conway

Quote:
Originally Posted by nizzebro View Post

Planned:

Built-in sampler to drag-n-drop samples from Media explorer

Library to save/load MIDI beats

http://nizzei8q.bget.ru/sower/download.php
If you are going to add sample playback, i suggest you take a look at Helgoboss playtime extension, being able to drop the triggered audio direct to the timeline is a huge time saver, so freeze to track or such will be a good idea
Win Conway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:12 AM   #21
nizzebro

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryG View Post
I can't seem to install this on my 32 bit windows 7 system; says it can't access the 64bit registry keys on my version of windows (well, no, it wouldn't... )

Is there a separate installer or something I've missed...?

Cheers.
I apologize for the bug with 32-bit installer. The ..install.exe file is uploaded again, please download it and if it will not work properly on your system, please contact me -
nizze@inbox.ru
and I'll send you the .dll file separately.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:22 AM   #22
nizzebro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaypeso View Post
Messed around with the demo today....AWESOME extension. Definitely buying.

One suggestion....and I know this may not be an easy thing to add, but a little "fl style" indicator that tells you where the playback cursor is in the sower pattern (even if just when its in loop mode) would help in programming a bit. Kinda like how in the built in midi-editor in reaper the playback marker shows you where playback is.

Big fan of what you've put together so far, and can't wait to see what is added next.
Thank you, yes this is planned for the future, as column highlighting while playing.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:38 AM   #23
nizzebro

Quote:
I just watched the demo video again. I think I'm going to re-download and play around again.

One suggestion I think would be really helpful is when using Sower in multi-mode, it would be great to be able to filter the visible rows by key so we don't have a bunch of unnecessary rows in the way. If there's a way to access Reaper's scales files that would be ideal, but otherwise a dropdown for root note and the ability to choose between major/minor would be sufficient for most cases.

Randomize steps (current row/all rows) would also be cool.
Do you mean multi-mode? or maybe single-mode (one track, full pitch-range)?
I thought about this (filtering) but decided that multi-mode is itself a note filter so you can select the note-lines you want. But what about scales and root note, it maybe interesting, I'll try to work on this.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:23 PM   #24
jaaypeso

Quote:
Thank you, yes this is planned for the future, as column highlighting while playing.
Awesome! Exactly what i'm hoping for. This would be especially helpful when doing more elaborate programming at finer resolutions.

Another feature request (and I promise i'll relax on the requests after this one) is to be able to autofill a channel. Similar to how in FL you can right click and select "fill every 2" or "fill every 4" instead of having to click every other note in to do standard hi hat patterns. Its not the end of the world to have to do that, but it would be nice to be able to quickly get a pattern started. In a dream world (to improve it from the way its handled in FL), you would be able to say "set an autofill amount" to every 2, 4, or 8 notes/beats at the top of Sower and then hold say the shift or control key (for example) while left clicking and dragging the mouse across a channel to autofill those portions of the channel at the set increment starting from the first note that is clicked and filling notes at the set increment horizontally. I don't know how difficult that would be to program, but i'm just dreaming out loud here.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:38 AM   #25
GaryG

Quote:
I apologize for the bug with 32-bit installer. The ..install.exe file is uploaded again, please download it and if it will not work properly on your system, please contact me -
nizze@inbox.ru
and I'll send you the .dll file separately.
Thanks, the new installer worked fine.

It's a fun plugin, need to spend sometime with it to fully appreciate what it has to offer.

thanks again.
GaryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:37 AM   #26
horn

Nice concept.
What about an enhanced the loop function like: "beats from - to"?
Sower also could be used for an advanced chord creating function.
The single mode should be restrictable to certain octaves for a better overview
Old 08-18-2015, 04:03 PM   #27
jaaypeso

Quote:
Originally Posted by horn View Post
Nice concept.
What about an enhanced the loop function like: "beats from - to"?
Sower also could be used for an advanced chord creating function.
The single mode should be restrictable to certain octaves for a better overview
Don't see why you would want to restrict single mode to certain octaves. Why don't you just scroll to the octave of your choice and change the windows size if you wanted to program from say C2-C4? Maybe i'm misunderstanding what you're looking for with that feature suggestion.

Maybe a quicker way to change the viewing octave would be more functional (since the mousewheel doesn't work in Sower to scroll up and down, so you have to click and drag which is a little more cumbersome.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:30 AM   #28
horn

Quote:
Don't see why you would want to restrict single mode to certain octaves. Why don't you just scroll to the octave of your choice and change the windows size if you wanted to program from say C2-C4? Maybe i'm misunderstanding what you're looking for with that feature suggestion.

Maybe a quicker way to change the viewing octave would be more functional (since the mousewheel doesn't work in Sower to scroll up and down, so you have to click and drag which is a little more cumbersome.
Just some ideas, I got when I was playing around with sower. I thought of some features, that would help to ease the controls, which are, as you said a little cumbersome in some points. What does not apply at all to the concept and the possibilities, inherent in this smart little program. It is free in its basic version and so everything is alright for me. But I think, this tool could be a professional helper, that has good chances to sell some copies. If I would be able to code such a thing, I would extend it with features everybody likes. These are e.g. restrictions to certain ranges or keys, just like the Midi Editor provides already. I would also build in a chord library and a capture for creating loops from a time selection or a region or whatever. I don't know much about the amount of work to code such features, but I am sure, that this would increase the professional chances of sower. Personally I would not buy it now, because I don't really need it. Advanced features would probably change this mind.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:27 PM   #29
jaaypeso

Quote:
Originally Posted by horn View Post
Just some ideas, I got when I was playing around with sower. I thought of some features, that would help to ease the controls, which are, as you said a little cumbersome in some points. What does not apply at all to the concept and the possibilities, inherent in this smart little program. It is free in its basic version and so everything is alright for me. But I think, this tool could be a professional helper, that has good chances to sell some copies. If I would be able to code such a thing, I would extend it with features everybody likes. These are e.g. restrictions to certain ranges or keys, just like the Midi Editor provides already. I would also build in a chord library and a capture for creating loops from a time selection or a region or whatever. I don't know much about the amount of work to code such features, but I am sure, that this would increase the professional chances of sower. Personally I would not buy it now, because I don't really need it. Advanced features would probably change this mind.
I can see that. I think that's the cool thing about developers like nizzebro developing plugins/extensions/etc. and taking in our feedback. Since we all have significantly different needs and workflows, the end product can evolve into a versatile device. I think the challenge might be not spreading himself too thin in terms of trying to do everything and losing whatever core goals he had for the product when he started. I can definitely see the benefit of a lot of your suggestions though.

I personally plan to purchase to support the development once he adds the indicator to show the timeline/play cursor position in the sower interface. I think so far nizzebro has done a great job.
Old 08-23-2015, 11:14 AM   #30
nizzebro

Quote:

I'm agree, this feature (filter and normal scrolling too) must be present. It is a question of time only.
For now, if you use a few pitch-rows ('channels'), maybe it would be easier
to bring these rows together in multi-mode.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:45 AM   #31
nizzebro

Quote:
Awesome! Exactly what i'm hoping for. This would be especially helpful when doing more elaborate programming at finer resolutions.

Another feature request (and I promise i'll relax on the requests after this one) is to be able to autofill a channel. Similar to how in FL you can right click and select "fill every 2" or "fill every 4" instead of having to click every other note in to do standard hi hat patterns. Its not the end of the world to have to do that, but it would be nice to be able to quickly get a pattern started. In a dream world (to improve it from the way its handled in FL), you would be able to say "set an autofill amount" to every 2, 4, or 8 notes/beats at the top of Sower and then hold say the shift or control key (for example) while left clicking and dragging the mouse across a channel to autofill those portions of the channel at the set increment starting from the first note that is clicked and filling notes at the set increment horizontally. I don't know how difficult that would be to program, but i'm just dreaming out loud here.
You can try another thing: set grid resolution to the value you need to be filled(say to 1/2 beat - to fill every eighth note)and then drag the mouse holding left button from left to right
Old 08-25-2015, 05:14 PM   #32
jaaypeso

Quote:
You can try another thing: set grid resolution to the value you need to be filled(say to 1/2 beat - to fill every eighth note)and then drag the mouse holding left button from left to right
Will do! I'll try it a little later. Thanks!
Old 08-26-2015, 02:19 AM   #33
Icchan

There seems to be something funny with your websites DNS... since I have been unable to connect to that URL within a week at all.

Latest Google Chrome Windows 7 x64:

"The server at nizzei8q.bget.ru can't be found, because the DNS lookup failed. DNS is the network service that translates a website's name to its Internet address. This error is most often caused by having no connection to the Internet or a misconfigured network. It can also be caused by an unresponsive DNS server or a firewall preventing Google Chrome from accessing the network."

If might be of course that something else between your site and my connection is preventing me from accessing it, I'm from Finland so... could be.
Icchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:08 AM   #34
mccrabney

i seem to be unable to make a purchase...is anyone else having this experience? will try again from paypal account soon...
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:02 AM   #35
loopa

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbralzoom View Post
Hi,
if i am not mistaken,

I'm definitely looking forward to that as well. Setting it to multiple bars to make a long varying drum loop is a great way for me to start a song.

Just saw the new FL Studio inspired theme. Very cool! I love it! :-D
Old 09-18-2015, 05:07 AM   #36
loopa

Also noticed that the Sower window remains on top of other applications when minimizing Reaper. Certainly not a big deal but would be better if minimized with Reaper.

Playing with Sower right now. Never knew how much I missed the FL Studio step sequencer.

EDIT: More info: It happens when I just activate Sower window and then switch to another application with Alt+Tab. Otherwise it does actually work.

Would be super nice to be able to toggle Sower window via an action (right now I need to click it away since there is no action to close it).
Old 10-02-2015, 05:53 PM   #37
timbralzoom

Hi,
finally & happily jump to train...
now i am waiting for more bars addition!
...with patience.
Old 10-08-2015, 02:20 AM   #38
loopa

Went back to an old project and could immediately just plugin in Sower to edit drums. Already gave me inspiration to improve the drums.

Small question, and maybe I'm being silly, but is there a way to to make Sower jump to where the edit cursor is automatically?
Old 01-09-2016, 10:58 PM   #39
timbralzoom

any news?
Old 01-10-2016, 11:46 AM   #40
dasombre

this looks great. going to try this sweet thing and also I'm already excited about the upcoming features before even trying this thing. This could be a really serious "go-to-tool"

Thank you!
dasombre is offline   Reply With Quote