Old 06-27-2017, 01:36 AM   #1
Multibomber
Human being with feelings

Default Andrew Scheps Mixing Template

Have any of you guys seen this yet? https://www.puremix.net/video/andrew...-template.html

It's Andrew Scheps guiding you through his mixing template that he uses for every project. What he did was recreate it as closely as possible with the stock plugins from 5 different DAWs.

Now I'm almost certain that Reaper wasn't one of them, but if anyone would like to translate it to REAPER, I'd happily pay for their subscription and for their time for taking on such a daunting task.

Is there anyone here who can do this???

P.S
For those of you who don't know, ALL big time mixers use templates. Some have 2 or 3 templates, some, like CLA or like Billy Decker (country music mixer extraordinaire), uses one template for every single song he mixes, and they both mix over 500 songs a year!

Last edited by Multibomber; 06-27-2017 at 09:21 AM.
Multibomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 12:49 AM   #2
Multibomber

No? No one wants to give it a shot? I'm probably the least qualified person to try it. I can barely operate Reaper, yet alone Cubase or Studio One...
Old 08-30-2017, 03:57 PM   #3
samplehead

In one of the comments on the linked site a user mentions they did do a Reaper version of this.

I'd be interested in this also!
samplehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 03:59 PM   #4
pipelineaudio
Mortal

I'd love to try

I had philosophically resisting templates for years, but lately I'm noticing that I do pretty much the same setup on certain instruments, so its about time
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 10:35 PM   #5
tombuur

I bought the Scheps video and template. He is a very interesting and likeable person to watch.

When it comes to his templates, I have both Cubase and Studio One, both of which I occasionally use only to quickly return to Reaper. The implementations of his templates in these two DAWs differ somewhat. Particularly because they use stock plugins that don't completely corresponds to his plugins. Hence when Scheps use Waves Aphex, they try to do something similar with stock plugins that doesn't really sound like the original in Scheps templates.

I tried at best to translate this to Reaper, but more like an addition to my own template. Anyway he mainly uses parallel effects, so I ended up with a selection of parallel tracks added to my own template. Some of these I use now, others I don't. A lot of plugins come with a mix knob (and Reaper has a mix knob), so here and there I chose to just use Scheps principles as and insert partially mixed in.

In the end I only use a fraction of his mixing tricks, but the video was worth the money for learning and inspiration.
Reaper 5, latest release, 64-bit w SWS |GA Z270 UD5|Intel i7 K7700|32 GB RAM|Fireface 800|500GB SSD sys, 1TB SSD Rec, 4TB HDD samples|Win 10 64bit|Dynaudio BM6A|Softube Console 1|Sonnox|Waves|Melda|Superior 3|Komplete 12U|Melodyne|Slate|Izotope.
tombuur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 12:49 PM   #6
radekdolezi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombuur View Post
I tried at best to translate this to Reaper, but more like an addition to my own template. Anyway he mainly uses parallel effects, so I ended up with a selection of parallel tracks added to my own template. Some of these I use now, others I don't. A lot of plugins come with a mix knob (and Reaper has a mix knob), so here and there I chose to just use Scheps principles as and insert partially mixed in.
In the end I only use a fraction of his mixing tricks, but the video was worth the money for learning and inspiration.
Dear Tombuur, i've seen theat tutorial as well and i agree, it's all about parallel processings with Andrew Scheps workflow. I liked it – truly advisable video. Listen, it would be great to see/have your template for educational purposes – what do you think? I haven't found many of them – probably just one interesting – https://stash.reaper.fm/v/29346/MixingTemplate.rpp ... there is a quite wide description for using it here: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....ht=Nzg7wMx2vVY
Cheers
radekdolezi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 05:15 AM   #7
tombuur

Quote:
Originally Posted by radekdolezi View Post
Dear Tombuur, i've seen theat tutorial as well and i agree, it's all about parallel processings with Andrew Scheps workflow. I liked it – truly advisable video. Listen, it would be great to see/have your template for educational purposes – what do you think? I haven't found many of them – probably just one interesting – https://stash.reaper.fm/v/29346/MixingTemplate.rpp ... there is a quite wide description for using it here: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....ht=Nzg7wMx2vVY
Cheers
As I wrote I just made an addition to my own template, i.e. some parallel busses with insert settings copied from Cubase, Studio One or taken from his video. They were all done with plugins from Waves, in Console 1 or other third party plugins. I even bought some extra Waves stuff to copy as exactly as possible. So there isn't much template to share. Also I wonder about copright infringement, should I actually upload a Reaper implementation of Scheps's template.
Reaper 5, latest release, 64-bit w SWS |GA Z270 UD5|Intel i7 K7700|32 GB RAM|Fireface 800|500GB SSD sys, 1TB SSD Rec, 4TB HDD samples|Win 10 64bit|Dynaudio BM6A|Softube Console 1|Sonnox|Waves|Melda|Superior 3|Komplete 12U|Melodyne|Slate|Izotope.
Old 09-02-2017, 05:30 AM   #8
Bassman1

Thanks for your hard work.
Old 09-04-2017, 03:37 AM   #9
radekdolezi

Quote:
As I wrote I just made an addition to my own template, i.e. some parallel busses with insert settings copied from Cubase, Studio One or taken from his video. They were all done with plugins from Waves, in Console 1 or other third party plugins. I even bought some extra Waves stuff to copy as exactly as possible. So there isn't much template to share. Also I wonder about copright infringement, should I actually upload a Reaper implementation of Scheps's template.
Thank you – i'm pretty sure it's a copyright free to offer your own modificated reaper template /workflow (based on any approach), but i understand you don't want to do this :-)
radekdolezi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 02:04 AM   #10
ry_cooder

Quote:
I bought the Scheps video and template. He is a very interesting and likeable person to watch.

When it comes to his templates, I have both Cubase and Studio One, both of which I occasionally use only to quickly return to Reaper. The implementations of his templates in these two DAWs differ somewhat. Particularly because they use stock plugins that don't completely corresponds to his plugins. Hence when Scheps use Waves Aphex, they try to do something similar with stock plugins that doesn't really sound like the original in Scheps templates.

Hello, I watched the Andrew Scheps template tutorial, which I found really instructive! I'm trying to rebuild his template in Reaper but I have a very basic question about gain staging:

I'm trying to use the same Scheps settings on compressors. In order to have 3-4 db of gr on parallel drum crash, e.g., I need to feed the compressor with a lot of volume, but in this way all my levels are hitting really hard and master fader is clipping! What am I doing wrong?
ry_cooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 09:17 AM   #11
tombuur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ry_cooder View Post
Hello, I watched the Andrew Scheps template tutorial, which I found really instructive! I'm trying to rebuild his template in Reaper but I have a very basic question about gain staging:

I'm trying to use the same Scheps settings on compressors. In order to have 3-4 db of gr on parallel drum crash, e.g., I need to feed the compressor with a lot of volume, but in this way all my levels are hitting really hard and master fader is clipping! What am I doing wrong?
Sorry if this suggestion is stupid, but did you lower compressor threshold?
Old 10-20-2017, 12:15 PM   #12
drichard

Does the site offer the template in a version that does NOT use stock plugins, but rather the actual ones Andrew uses? I probably have a lot of the same plugs he does, and if I had access to both the version using the stock plugins and the real ones I could probably get very close. I've considered this template, but have resisted for exactly the reasons you mentioned. I want to see and hear the settings from the original plugins.

I'd like to learn how he gets some of the sounds he gets, and I've always enjoyed him speaking in videos. For someone so successful he seems very even keel.

Quote:

drichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:55 PM   #13
ry_cooder

Quote:
Sorry if this suggestion is stupid, but did you lower compressor threshold?
Sure! But I will miss the gain staging structure he's suggesting in his tutorial...
Sure I can change all the settings according to my own material (this is what a template is for), but I was trying to learn something on how he manage volumes at each stage
ry_cooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:52 PM   #14
future fields

Templates are where its at

I love building my virtual consoles

I spend way too much time doing this actually lol
future fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 04:36 PM   #15
Rangler

Would be nice to get a drawing of the layout, at least. I don't think I'm going to buy all of the plugins.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:07 AM   #16
jpanderson80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangler View Post
Would be nice to get a drawing of the layout, at least. I don't think I'm going to buy all of the plugins.
My basic rock template is attached. It's based on the Michael Brauer idea, with some of my own in there as well. I have used VCA's as well. They are not reflected here, but you can put them in easily. The main take away for me from MB is the vocal treatment. It is extremely effective.

I like using Compressors as tone units, hence the variety.

In addition, I like to "pre-process" tracks with iron and tubes, then move into gain staging and organizing into the template.

Eric Valentine has recently been posting YouTube content that walks through songs. It's fun to see his set-up. His methods are very similar to what I've settled into.
Attached Images
File Type: png ITB template.png (18.3 KB, 996 views)
Old 09-18-2019, 07:54 AM   #17
ihwright

Hi,

Are people still interested in a Reaper version of the Schepps template?

I've seen the video and constructed a version of it for Reaper.

It's not an exact copy as I've utilised some of the functions of Reaper to achieve the same thing (I don't use VCAs but I've constructed things in folders) and I don't have all the same plugins but it's either close (for example, the rear bus, I don't have the UAD multimono 1176 so I've used a Waves stereo version and dialled in the same setting) or I've gone my own way to do things (I do an awful lot of top down processing and have set things up to do a lot of drum buss processing if I feel I want to go that way as opposed to the NYC compression stuff he does) that I'm happier doing. But as far as I can remember it's set up to do most of the parallel processing stuff he does.

If there's interest and someone can suggest an easy way to upload it I'm happy to share.
ihwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 12:04 AM   #18
Monique

id be interested in trying it Ihwright,,I'm recently testing Reaper and trying to find my way round,working on a temp for mixing would be great to try it out.
Monique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 07:45 AM   #19
Multibomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihwright View Post
Hi,

Are people still interested in a Reaper version of the Schepps template?

I've seen the video and constructed a version of it for Reaper.

It's not an exact copy as I've utilised some of the functions of Reaper to achieve the same thing (I don't use VCAs but I've constructed things in folders) and I don't have all the same plugins but it's either close (for example, the rear bus, I don't have the UAD multimono 1176 so I've used a Waves stereo version and dialled in the same setting) or I've gone my own way to do things (I do an awful lot of top down processing and have set things up to do a lot of drum buss processing if I feel I want to go that way as opposed to the NYC compression stuff he does) that I'm happier doing. But as far as I can remember it's set up to do most of the parallel processing stuff he does.

If there's interest and someone can suggest an easy way to upload it I'm happy to share.
SHIT YA!!!!
Old 11-26-2019, 08:17 AM   #20
Digipope

yeees!
Digipope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 10:16 AM   #21
bobobo

i've made one

get it from here
for free

someone did a worse job here

unzip it into your effects-folder in your REAPER-ResourcePath
and get instantly better sound when using on a 2-Bus

looks good in R6 as embedded in TCP

Last edited by bobobo; 11-26-2019 at 10:24 AM.
bobobo is offline   Reply With Quote