Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 06-24-2017, 01:32 PM   #1
JoeMadBro
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper disconnecting midi input?

Hello

I have a Novation LaunchPad mk2. Currently I use it with ReaSamplOMatic5000 to assign the sounds I use with it. Sometimes after long use it will just stop receiving input from it and I have to restart reaper to get it to work again. Sometimes restarting reaper doesn't even fix it. I'll close out of Reaper, unplug my LaunchPad and wait a little while, plug it back in and start up Reaper once again and still not able to use it.

Is there something I am missing, or is there a known issue with midi devices? I'm just so confused on why it does it in the first place, and it becomes a little frustrating when I can't get it back.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks
JoeMadBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 04:43 PM   #2
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMadBro View Post
Hello

I have a Novation LaunchPad mk2. Currently I use it with ReaSamplOMatic5000 to assign the sounds I use with it. Sometimes after long use it will just stop receiving input from it and I have to restart reaper to get it to work again. Sometimes restarting reaper doesn't even fix it. I'll close out of Reaper, unplug my LaunchPad and wait a little while, plug it back in and start up Reaper once again and still not able to use it.

Is there something I am missing, or is there a known issue with midi devices? I'm just so confused on why it does it in the first place, and it becomes a little frustrating when I can't get it back.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks
No, I don't think there are any overall known problems, however individual controllers can be problematic depending on how they are setup and configured to the computer.

If you're using USB to connect it to the computer, that has certain problems that vary from product to product. It's sounds like this is your main problem.

It looks as though your Launchpad also has midi connections in and out, that usually can take care of the problems associated with USB.

So I guess the question is, do you have an interface that has midi connections?

Since you've experimented with your setup, it appears you know the gist of it and you might be able to find a method that will work in some form of consistent manner. I've noticed that some USB connections work if you don't plug it in until your computer is up and running. Others, that's not the case.

Also make sure you have the latest drivers for it.

Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:38 PM   #3
solger

The next time this happens, go to Preferences > Audio > MIDI Devices and try to use the [Reset all MIDI devices] button.
Instead of using the button, you can also assign the corresponding Action Reset all MIDI devices to a shortcut in the Action List.

If I remember correctly you're using Windows, so check the USB Port Power Settings as well and make sure that the 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' option is disabled.
More info in chapter 4.5.2: https://support.native-instruments.c...dio-Processing

Also make sure to plug a USB device always into the same USB port, in general.
But in case there might be any connection problems, try if using a different USB port or USB cable makes any difference.

Last edited by solger; 06-24-2017 at 10:56 PM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 11:16 AM   #4
JoeMadBro

Thank you both for you replies!

I am still pretty noobish with things of this nature and glad I have a place where people are helpful.

The launchpad I have only has USB, the one with the midi in/out is the "pro" model. The interface I am using is a Focusrite 18i20 which does have midi in/out.

The usb power management seems to make sense with how it seems to not react after restarting reaper occasionally as well as stopping in the middle of use if untouched for a period of time.

Again thank you both for you help!
JoeMadBro is offline   Reply With Quote