Old 06-01-2010, 04:42 PM   #1
STAL
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper random crash

Ok so I ran Vista - 3Gb RAM and latest Reaper but it crashes a lot when I try to open existing projects (starting loading and at some point "running error")
I don't know what's the problem I'm working on something for youtube that is getting heavy (at least in comparison to my other work) 525mb - 24 tracks some of the midi some of them real sound which has a lot of cuts to it (don't if it's relevant) lots of plug ins also....
So I can see why the program can crash but how the hell it manages to crash with the same "running error" when I'm trying to open a less than 2mb project
Thank you for your time.
STAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:55 AM   #2
Fabian

Probably a rouge plugin. Try to open the project with all plugins off-line, see here http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...plugin+offline. If that works, we know that's the problem. Then comes the problem of finding which one...
Old 06-02-2010, 09:02 AM   #3
STAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
Probably a rouge plugin. Try to open the project with all plugins off-line, see here http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...plugin+offline. If that works, we know that's the problem. Then comes the problem of finding which one...
Well it's not that I can't open the project at all (the big one) but sometimes it takes like 15 times - the program crashes, I close it, restart the laptop, open some other project, start a new one, try again...
I know it crashes with 2 DSK Virtuoso but I have none in this project
It crashes when I try to open it and not if it loads and I close Reaper and open it again (loads the last open project)
Old 06-02-2010, 12:21 PM   #4
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by STAL View Post
Well it's not that I can't open the project at all (the big one) but sometimes it takes like 15 times - the program crashes, I close it, restart the laptop, open some other project, start a new one, try again...
And if you open it with all FX off-line, does it open directly then?
Old 06-02-2010, 05:26 PM   #5
ryan462

Maybe he's configured to open the last project on start, and isn't getting the chance to disable the FX before he opens it? (I can't remember where that setting is, but it's a good one to disable IMO)

Try starting Reaper through the Start Menu -> Programs -> Reaper -> REAPER (create new project) - see if it opens up with all default settings, no tracks.

If it opens .. you know it's your project. Without closing REAPER, open your project through the File menu, and notice in the dialogue window where you choose the file to open, there will be an check-able option in that window for opening the project with all the FX offline.

Start there .. it'll tell you if it's the project, and whether or not it's a plugin. Good luck!
Old 06-10-2010, 03:29 AM   #6
STAL

Even if I disable the FXs(from the open menu) it still crashes sometimes
It seems random...
I think if helps to open a project then open a new one and then open the desired one...