Old 10-18-2014, 02:29 PM   #41
Commala
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwok View Post
Ah, I found the solution to both problems. It seems that if tracks are moved into a folder or out, their folder indentation in the MCP is not updated unless the tracks are also visible in the TCP. I work with different visibility settings in the MCP and TCP, so that's why I'm seeing the discrepency. Is their a way to have the layout updating not tied to the TCP visibility?

cheers
Yes exactly. I don't think this has to do with the theme per se, although obviously you don't see this problem with the default theme because it does not have the MCP indentation feature. However, even the default theme show some issues related to TCP visibility.

For example, when you have an MCP layout that shows the record input, if you hide the track in both the TCP and MCP using the track manager, and then unhide that track in only the MCP, you will see that the text displaying your record input has vanished, and will not return until you once again show the track in the TCP. Afterwards, you can hide that track in the TCP, and the MCP will remain correctly displayed.

This is clearly the same mechanism causing the issue in my theme here.

Not sure if I can include any logic in the walter code that would remedy this. It might be outside the bounds of what walter can do. However, I can imagine a reascript that would automatically toggle the TCP visibility to ensure everything was always properly refreshed.
Commala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 03:02 PM   #42
gwok

yup, i figured it's beyond walter too, seems it's up to devs and deeper within reaper to fix. Thanks. I have a refresh macro built now
gwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 08:17 PM   #43
Commala

Quote:
yup, i figured it's beyond walter too, seems it's up to devs and deeper within reaper to fix. Thanks. I have a refresh macro built now
Nice, what actions did you use?
Old 10-18-2014, 08:58 PM   #44
Soli Deo Gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commala View Post
Thanks for reporting this. I'm not sure what could be causing your problem, you don't notice this occurring with any other themes?...

...Could there be another Reaper directory where you have placed Gofer's color map? The theme should be able to override anything like that, regardless...
Well, I can confirm that itīs only happening with your theme right now. Iīve just tested others -including my own mod of V4 default- and it wonīt happen. Whatīs more strange is that those colors seem to be in my machine the default ones for your theme. When I load Goferīs map I do it from a specific location and when I clear it, reset to default or directly load the map in your themeīs folder, the strange colors always return. As I told you, itīs not really serious for me, but it will be nice if Commala 3 (and 4, and...) gets polished to its ultimate details...
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 09:39 PM   #45
Commala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli Deo Gloria View Post
Well, I can confirm that itīs only happening with your theme right now. Iīve just tested others -including my own mod of V4 default- and it wonīt happen. Whatīs more strange is that those colors seem to be in my machine the default ones for your theme. When I load Goferīs map I do it from a specific location and when I clear it, reset to default or directly load the map in your themeīs folder, the strange colors always return. As I told you, itīs not really serious for me, but it will be nice if Commala 3 (and 4, and...) gets polished to its ultimate details...
Have you had a look at the png image in the theme? I could send you a replacement if it got corrupted somehow. Those pngs are actually designed with planned obsolescence, so maybe yours expired
Old 10-18-2014, 10:15 PM   #46
Soli Deo Gloria

Well, here you can see it : https://www.dropbox.com/s/switd1qctk...ormap.png?dl=0 . You can tell if that should be right or not...
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 10:38 PM   #47
gwok

Quote:
Nice, what actions did you use?
sws - show all tracks
Old 10-18-2014, 10:42 PM   #48
Commala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli Deo Gloria View Post
Well, here you can see it : https://www.dropbox.com/s/switd1qctk...ormap.png?dl=0 . You can tell if that should be right or not...
Yes that's the one. This is truly a mystery. Luckily, I enjoy a good puzzle

Quote:
sws - show all tracks
Hmm, but what if you wanted to preserve an established track view set? That's the trick.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:55 PM   #49
gwok

Quote:
Yes that's the one. This is truly a mystery. Luckily, I enjoy a good puzzle

Hmm, but what if you wanted to preserve an established track view set? That's the trick.
I have a bunch of shortcuts for navigating, so I already have macro's to get where i want quick. Though if someone needed to make a macro just to reset this issue they could do

sws save current track selection
sws show all tracks
sws restore saved track selection
sws show only selected track in mpc\tcp
Old 10-18-2014, 11:07 PM   #50
Commala

Quote:
I have a bunch of shortcuts for navigating, so I already have macro's to get where i want quick. Though if someone needed to make a macro just to reset this issue they could do

sws save current track selection
sws show all tracks
sws restore saved track selection
sws show only selected track in mpc\tcp
Thanks for sharing that macro with us. So for yourself this glitch is not so big a deal because your custom macros are always refreshing the tracks?
Old 10-19-2014, 05:43 AM   #51
Pashkuli
Banned

Great theme, thanks Commala!
So much in love with dark themes now!
Pashkuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 11:32 AM   #52
Commala

Quote:
Originally Posted by adXok View Post
Great theme, thanks Commala!
So much in love with dark themes now!
Yeah, they save my eyeballs. Glad you like it.

Notice: Lau pointed out that the TCP separator layout had been commented out in the theme's rtconfig. So I uploaded a quick fix for that. You can find it in the screensets/layouts window with the rest. My apologies
Old 10-19-2014, 03:58 PM   #53
FnA

Nice additions Commala. I thought maybe this theme might help you debug the folder problem but it looks like it has issues too. Maybe you've seen it already.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=124457

What would be involved in getting the now eliminated big meter type track available again? Simple copy/paste and/or minor edits? Or is it more involved? I would rather give up some other layouts if there was not enough space.
FnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 04:18 PM   #54
gwok

Quote:
Thanks for sharing that macro with us. So for yourself this glitch is not so big a deal because your custom macros are always refreshing the tracks?
ya, it is a non issue now that i know about it
Old 10-19-2014, 05:20 PM   #55
Commala

Quote:
Originally Posted by edkilp View Post
I tried to comment the lines as per your instructions, and it's still indenting. I do hide the tracks in the TCP because they are just receiving MIDI information and therefore I don't need to see them there. I have to go to work, but I'll look forward to getting home this evening to find this all fixed! (just kiddin ya there, buddy!)
https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/1492/De...ala_3_trad.zip

Boom. Hope that helps, edkilp! This is a version of the theme without MCP folder indentation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FnA View Post
Nice additions Commala. I thought maybe this theme might help you debug the folder problem but it looks like it has issues too. Maybe you've seen it already.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=124457

What would be involved in getting the now eliminated big meter type track available again? Simple copy/paste and/or minor edits? Or is it more involved? I would rather give up some other layouts if there was not enough space.

There is a big meter TCP and MCP track layout in classic and black. It was not eliminated. Some TCP layouts must be accessed by the screensets/layouts window, because there is a 28 entry limit to the right click menu for TCP layouts.

Edit: looking now, all big meter layouts are accessible by right-click also. Maybe you're not seeing it because I added extension mixer to the big meter MCP layouts? (FX and sends for the uninitiated)

I am interested to hear what layouts people prefer, if I were to remove some layouts out of a future version this would be good to help make that decision.

Btw, what's the story behind that theme you linked me to? Someone have a blow-up?

Last edited by Commala; 10-19-2014 at 05:32 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:54 PM   #56
edkilp

Quote:
Boom. Hope that helps, edkilp! This is a version of the theme without MCP folder indentation.
Hey! My folders aren't indented anymore! What's up with that??? Hahahaha, that did it, my friend! Thank you very much!
edkilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 06:44 PM   #57
FnA

I didn't want to sound negative. I do have a couple big meter tracks. They are your new design. When I first saw the screenshots of this new design, I said "God. Damn. I want that." I think the design is great, maybe perfect when zoomed out enough to show the controls. When it's minimized or is a "tiny child" of a folder...I don't know. I guess I like the old design better. This is what I see.

When I tried the theme on my other machine the track icons were being cut in half also. That was before the update recently. Maybe something has changed? Have not tried it yet on that computer which uses dual 27s.

If I remember correctly...A guy contributed the first version of that theme. He did get angry, but I think it was because he was unhappy with Reaper's development. He withdrew the theme, but it had been downloaded already and hopi made some further modifications. I took hopi's selected track outline idea and used it for Default Analog, but did not use that particular theme.

In TCP for quite a while I have used only big meter and the vertical meter tracks. In mixer mostly large, but occasionally some others. I like the colored fader idea, but have not tried to apply it yet. Been using Default Analog exclusively for a while now. With my own slight modifications, and recently grabbed Vitalkers mod of yours. Another difference between that theme and this one is that the active item in the MIDI Editor has "3D" shadows in your theme but not Vitalkers. Minor.

Last edited by FnA; 05-08-2015 at 09:55 AM.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:05 PM   #58
Commala

Quote:
I didn't want to sound negative. I do have a couple big meter tracks. They are your new design. When I first saw the screenshots of this new design, I said "God. Damn. I want that." I think the design is great, maybe perfect when zoomed out enough to show the controls. When it's minimized or is a "tiny child" of a folder...I don't know. I guess I like the old design better.
Seems like the solution here is to write the Big Meter TCP so that it shrinks better. Would you still like to see all the controls in a shrunk Big Meter, or just as it was in the default?

Either that or just bring back the TCP Big Meter as it was and add my changes as a new layout. That's probably easiest, but that will add another TCP layout :P

Last edited by Commala; 10-19-2014 at 08:13 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:40 PM   #59
FnA

That's more work than I wanted to ask for

New layout with controls is a bit of a dilemma...I would have to think about what to ask for. LOL. I guess I will over the next few days. Probably will be away from the forum for a couple days. Maybe some others have feelings about it as well.

Right now I think I would like to have either the new track assume the form of the old big meter when minimized, or just use the old big meter. I think the meter might not be as nice in a compacted folder if there was controls too. Or else the meter might end up not very big. Well I'm just used to the old one I guess.

Have to think about it a bit before suggesting action. Thanks for considering.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:45 PM   #60
Commala

Almost there...

Old 10-22-2014, 06:40 AM   #61
Solar

@Commala Looking great man, keep up the great work and looking forward this update (if there is)
Old 10-22-2014, 07:13 PM   #62
FnA

Definite improvement. You asked me if I would like controls or not. Well you might not be able or willing to make it perfect for me but I'll give some feedback anyway. To me, in the minimized state, controls are not that important. More important is identification and presenting information. It's an overview, table of contents, the big picture. The way I have things set up, it's the only way to see every track in the project at once. So the only control that keeps coming to my mind for identification is the colored volume faders. I know, faders on the bottom, and only one color...speaking of controls, are FX knobs out of the question?

Seems like it's on it's way to being usable anyway. I don't think you should get rid of some of the colored faders. It's one of the major features of the theme. I think you should consider making a TCP track which features this fader as a dominant element. The ones you have require the TCP to be rather wide to see. Can this coloring work on knobs? I see your new track turns into a knob when shrunken down. Looks a little strange though. The shy meter knob looks a little better. But I don't like that track because the meter is shy.

Mainly I took interest in this theme because of the folder stepping in the mixer. I also really like the indicators on the pan knobs. I like controls that indicate they have been tweaked. I guess I like the item volume knob for this reason.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:25 PM   #63
Commala

Quote:
To me, in the minimized state, controls are not that important. More important is identification and presenting information. It's an overview, table of contents, the big picture. The way I have things set up, it's the only way to see every track in the project at once. So the only control that keeps coming to my mind for identification is the colored volume faders. I know, faders on the bottom, and only one color...speaking of controls, are FX knobs out of the question?
Fx parameter controls could go beneath the fader on this layout, that's a good idea.

I actually use the track manager for an overview or table of contents. The coloured faders are a bit of fun really, I wouldn't use them for broader track identification, rather as indication of functionality. For identification, I search the track manager or look at the track colour swatch. But that's just me.

At any rate, this particular layout should be about the meter, I think. However, I wouldn't mind writing it so that when it is stretched horizontally some changes take place, i.e. controls or name label become visible when the layout is vertically minimized. If this were done right it could bring a lot of flexibility.

Quote:
I don't think you should get rid of some of the colored faders. It's one of the major features of the theme. I think you should consider making a TCP track which features this fader as a dominant element. The ones you have require the TCP to be rather wide to see. Can this coloring work on knobs? I see your new track turns into a knob when shrunken down. Looks a little strange though. The shy meter knob looks a little better. But I don't like that track because the meter is shy.
Yes, the shrunken knobs definitely need tweaking, been working on that. And yes, I could colour those too, that's another good idea.

I understand a lot of people rely heavily on the TCP, so it might be interesting to create some layouts for TCP-only sort of use. I use the mixer for most of my fader action, but then you can't see your envelopes :P

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar View Post
@Commala Looking great man, keep up the great work and looking forward this update (if there is)
Thank you, Solar. Should be pretty soon for some of the changes I've mentioned here, just taking a brief walter breather.

Last edited by Commala; 10-22-2014 at 09:30 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:44 PM   #64
MotionMindz

I downloaded the latest version of Reaper. I am on MAC OSX btw.

On Mac when I extract the theme zip and click the ReaperTheme file nothing changes and when choosing "Browse" in the Load Theme option also nothing.

Help?
MotionMindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 03:46 PM   #65
FnA

Quote:
At any rate, this particular layout should be about the meter, I think.
Yes, Agreed. Colored faders as additional level of organization or identification was just a nebulous idea. Do what feels right.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:25 AM   #66
Commala

I've updated the theme with improved Big Meter TCP layouts and new Long Name TCP layouts a la Breeder.

I didn't go for the coloured knobs this time, instead I changed the minimum size for Big Meter TCP. Hopefully this isn't too disruptive. It's not ideal, but it works for now.

I've also added coloured fader layouts for Black Big Meter TCP and Black Vertical TCP layouts, while removing coloured faders from all Default TCP layouts.

So, to summarize, in the TCP there are coloured faders on the Black TCP (vertical meters), Black Big Meter and Black Vertical layouts. As you will see, organizing the theme this way allows you to access a good base set of TCP layouts from the right-click menu.

I added a namespace to the normal Vertical TCP layouts and the coloured fader v-meter layouts to bring them into this menu. Hopefully this doesn't screw with too many people, let me know. Now, the only TCP layouts which are not accessible through the right-click menu are the following:

- coloured fader Black Big Meter TCP layouts
- Black Minimal
- Black Reduced
- Black Shy Meter
- Black Top Aligned
- Black Tracking
- coloured fader Black Vertical TCP layouts

Again, using macros to set your track layouts is the best way... and yet I've probably broken some macros by renaming layouts. Worth it?

Any feedback is appreciated

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotionMindz View Post
I downloaded the latest version of Reaper. I am on MAC OSX btw.

On Mac when I extract the theme zip and click the ReaperTheme file nothing changes and when choosing "Browse" in the Load Theme option also nothing.

Help?
You've got to extract both files into the ColorThemes folder in the Reaper directory. This is not a ReaperThemeZip, so you can't double-click on the file to make it load automatically.

Quote:
speaking of controls, are FX knobs out of the question?
This one might take some more figuring to implement on the Big Meter TCP.

Last edited by Commala; 10-26-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:13 PM   #67
FnA

NICE. I think I'm ready to give it a serious poke now. I don't like changing themes. Use the same basic one all the time. Hopefully I can change the selected track and envelope PNGs to outlined versions like I did with another version. I also "_xxx" ed out the meter strip to use my own colors. Might try to design a PNG sometime.

First impression. I like the mute, solo, and recarm buttons. Monitor button is better than half of FX button, but I think I'd rather have the master/send/receive thing or the I/O button. Both can be used to drag sends. M/S/R button has edge in indicator value, but might be too big? But even if you don't like that, the design seems to look good.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:42 AM   #68
Commala

Quote:
NICE. I think I'm ready to give it a serious poke now. I don't like changing themes. Use the same basic one all the time. Hopefully I can change the selected track and envelope PNGs to outlined versions like I did with another version. I also "_xxx" ed out the meter strip to use my own colors. Might try to design a PNG sometime.

First impression. I like the mute, solo, and recarm buttons. Monitor button is better than half of FX button, but I think I'd rather have the master/send/receive thing or the I/O button. Both can be used to drag sends. M/S/R button has edge in indicator value, but might be too big? But even if you don't like that, the design seems to look good.
Thank you!

I could put an M/S/R button there if I made a small one sized to fit.

Outlined track and envelope background pngs are simple enough, but I did not include them because I don't like the way the lines run off the edge when the track is indented.

Do lots of people prefer having these track selection outlines?
Old 10-27-2014, 10:26 AM   #69
camerondye

I downloaded this to check it out on my laptop and it's going on my studio computer immediately...very nice job. Thank You for your hard work on this
camerondye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 10:34 AM   #70
Commala

Quote:
Originally Posted by camerondye View Post
I downloaded this to check it out on my laptop and it's going on my studio computer immediately...very nice job. Thank You for your hard work on this
Thank you! Music to my ears
Old 10-30-2014, 09:01 PM   #71
reapercurious

doesn't install. looks like reaper version 1.
reapercurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 05:39 PM   #72
gwok

hey, I made this layout. It's pretty rough, if anyone wanted to "commalize" it and get the foldering working again, that'd be cool. Most theme designs don't account for very small track heights, which is how I like to work. It'd be nice to have better metering at small heights, but alas, I chose routing and fx over metering and faders (as those are audio tasks first and foremost anyways, so i figure use my ears).

So it's pretty rough, like I say if anyone wants to clean it up, have at er, or just use it.

EDIT: Oh shit, the foldering is totally wack, so i removed the height margining parameter

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o6xefpd0q6...%20PM.png?dl=0

Layout "3. Black Sidebar2" "black-mcp-sidebar"

set mcp.size [71 340]
set mcp.label [18 320 52 18 1 1 0 1]
set mcp.trackidx [0 320 18 18 0 1 0 1]

set mcp.io [0]
set mcp.fx [0]
set mcp.fxbyp [0]
set mcp.phase [0]
set mcp.pan [0]
set mcp.pan.label [0]
set mcp.width [0]
set mcp.env [0]
set mcp.volume.label [0]
set mcp.recmon [0]
set mcp.recmode [0]
set mcp.recarm [0]
set mcp.solo [0]
set mcp.recinput [0]

set mcp.extmixer.mode [1]
set mcp.extmixer.position + [0 21 70 280 1 0 1 1]
set mcp.meter [2 4 65 15 1 0 0 0]
set mcp.volume [2 302 17 17 0 1 0 1]
set mcp.mute [20 304 15 13 0 1 0 1]
set mcp.solo [35 304 15 13 0 1 0 1]
set mcp.recarm [50 304 15 13 0 1 0 1]

EndLayout ; end of "3. Black Sidebar2"

Last edited by gwok; 11-22-2014 at 06:11 PM.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:58 PM   #73
Commala

Quote:
hey, I made this layout. It's pretty rough, if anyone wanted to "commalize" it and get the foldering working again, that'd be cool. Most theme designs don't account for very small track heights, which is how I like to work. It'd be nice to have better metering at small heights, but alas, I chose routing and fx over metering and faders (as those are audio tasks first and foremost anyways, so i figure use my ears).

So it's pretty rough, like I say if anyone wants to clean it up, have at er, or just use it.

EDIT: Oh shit, the foldering is totally wack, so i removed the height margining parameter

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o6xefpd0q6...%20PM.png?dl=0
I like this idea. What if the all the MCP layouts could shrink to a mini-inspector arrangement? Maybe that's too much, but it would be a good way to resolve the poor usability at small MCP scales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reapercurious View Post
doesn't install. looks like reaper version 1.
The theme is supplied as a zip file which includes the ReaperTheme file and the accompanying resource folder. It will not install automatically, so those who wish to use must unzip these files into the Colorthemes folder in the Reaper resource path. Go to Options->"Show REAPER resource path in Explorer/Finder".

If you use ReaMenus, this entry will be under File->Path.

Last edited by Commala; 11-26-2014 at 10:20 PM.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:41 AM   #74
gwok

Quote:
I like this idea. What if the all the MCP layouts could shrink to a mini-inspector arrangement? Maybe that's too much, but it would be a good way to resolve the poor usability at small MCP scales.
ya, that would be great. I've also thought of making a dedicated set of layouts for small heights as well. For my personal prefeneces, I only need/want about 3 or 4 layouts to suit my needs, though I haven't really gotten to it because my walter proficiency isn't that great.

If you had an inclination to work on some alternative layouts or modifications in this vein, I'd definately be willing to get in there with ideas, testing and anything else neccesary to make it happen.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:45 AM   #75
timbralzoom

one more line for the
set mcp.width.label [0]
timbralzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 04:01 PM   #76
G6millars

Great , I was wonder after seeing this ! outstanding working this is really a good solution !
G6millars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:10 PM   #77
sunkingzx

thank you very much for this theme!!
sunkingzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 06:45 PM   #78
dalezjc

Default Linux?

So where do I put all these files on Linux?
dalezjc is offline   Reply With Quote