Old 12-26-2008, 07:37 AM   #1
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Default Basics of Theme Editing

Its your Reaper, feel free to make it look however you like. You can download themes from the Resource Stash and then tweak / edit / mix'n'match elements of different themes as you like. If you come up with something cool, the vast majority of themers welcome you posting it here, but do try to give credit if you can, just to be nice.

A theme consists of a series of colour and font instructions that Reaper applies to each visual element (contained in a .reapertheme file in your 'REAPER/ColorThemes' folder, find this by using the "Options > Show REAPER resource path in explorer/finder" link) and usually also a folder of images (.png files) that are used to replace the base colour with those images. (The folder also contains an 'rtconfig' file that is used to define more advanced visual features.)

If you like you can edit a .reapertheme file with notepad, but you'll find it easier to use the editor included in Reaper at Options > Preferences > Appearance > Theme Editor. Find the control that affects the element who's colour you want to change (the 'Theme Element Finder' will help you with that), click on the colour box and select a new colour. Hit apply.

When you're happy, save your theme using the 'save' button. Be sure to do this before changing theme or quitting Reaper, or your changes will be lost.

If you don't see any change, its likely the .reapertheme you are editing is using a .png image to overide that colour definition. The .reapertheme file looks in a sub folder of the 'REAPER/ColorThemes' folder for its images, according to its value 'ui_img='. You can change this value from within Reaper using the "Theme requests Images' dropdown, which lists all the available image folders.

Try making a new folder in 'REAPER/ColorThemes' called 'My-Mix-N-Match'. Into it, copy images from another theme, or a number of other themes, or images from another theme that you have edited with a bitmap editor like Gimp*. Then go to the "Theme requests Images' dropdown and select 'My-Mix-N-Match' as your images folder. Save your theme under a new name, and hit OK.

Now (and at any time you've changed any images) you'll need Reaper to reload them. The easiest way to do that is [cntrl-alt-PgUp] then [cntrl-alt-PgDown] to switch to another theme and then back again.

Have fun! Any questions, do not hesitate to ask here in the forum.

*If you're editing a bitmap image, feel free to go nuts but BEWARE of pink stuff - thin bright pink lines at the edge of images. These are used by the themer to tell Reaper how to position or stretch the image. If you spoil them, for example by making them anything other than PURE pink, Reaper will not display the image correctly. More on Pink HERE

Last edited by White Tie; 11-19-2010 at 03:42 PM.
White Tie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:21 AM   #2
SoulOne82
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulhumsus View Post
Life is too short to be serious, laugh it up.
what??
SoulOne82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:52 PM   #3
ARP

Default Are themes compatible across versions ?

I've gone back to a previous version of Reaper, and wondered if I will have any hidden problems transferring themes ?

ARP.
ARP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:13 AM   #4
onewayout

Try making a new folder in 'REAPER/ColorThemes' called 'My-Mix-N-Match'. Into it, copy images from another theme, or a number of other themes, or images from another theme that you have edited with a bitmap editor like Gimp*. Then go to the "Theme requests Images' dropdown and select 'My-Mix-N-Match' as your images folder. Save your theme under a new name, and hit OK.
[/QUOTE]

Hi Guys,

I have tried to do this and I don't have any change in my theme...Is there new instructions now that we are in 3.0?

Thanks, jeff
onewayout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:41 AM   #5
onewayout

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewayout View Post
Hi Guys,

I have tried to do this and I don't have any change in my theme...Is there new instructions now that we are in 3.0?

Thanks, jeff[/QUOTE]

Can anyone help me on this one? Need to just tweek a couple of things for my theme then i can get back to work....(-:
onewayout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:17 AM   #6
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

No, everything in the first post is still correct. Try going through the steps one by one and see if you've done one slightly differently or missed one out.

If you'd like to post (or PM me) a screenshot of what you see, an explorer view of your 'ColorThemes' folder, and of your Options > Preferences > Appearance > Color Theme, I may be able to spot something.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:02 PM   #7
pbognar

Default Can't find Color Theme page

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
No, everything in the first post is still correct. Try going through the steps one by one and see if you've done one slightly differently or missed one out.

If you'd like to post (or PM me) a screenshot of what you see, an explorer view of your 'ColorThemes' folder, and of your Options > Preferences > Appearance > Color Theme, I may be able to spot something.
In the most recent version 3.73, under Options > Preferences > Appearance, there is not "Color Theme" selection, only Media, Peaks/Waveforms, VU Meters/Faders and Theme Editor.

I've dragged and dropped a couple of zipped Themes onto Reaper which have multiple Color Themes, but I am unable to find where to change to alternate color themes.
pbognar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 03:39 PM   #8
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbognar View Post
In the most recent version 3.73, under Options > Preferences > Appearance, there is not "Color Theme" selection, only Media, Peaks/Waveforms, VU Meters/Faders and Theme Editor.
Sorry, I need to edit the instructions; recently the name of the preferences page was changed from 'Color Theme' to 'Theme Editor'. That's the page you're looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbognar View Post
I've dragged and dropped a couple of zipped Themes onto Reaper which have multiple Color Themes, but I am unable to find where to change to alternate color themes.
From the main menus: Options > Themes
Old 11-19-2010, 03:45 PM   #9
pbognar

Quote:
Sorry, I need to edit the instructions; recently the name of the preferences page was changed from 'Color Theme' to 'Theme Editor'. That's the page you're looking for.

From the main menus: Options > Themes
No problem - except I couldn't figure out how to select Color Themes fome Reaper Themes with multiple Color Themes.

I posted something on the General Forum on how I got around it. Perhaps there is an easier way?
pbognar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:41 AM   #10
Kraig-800i

Default Customised Mixer

Any chance you could help me on how to remove the record monitoring button from the mixer/track view ?
Old 04-22-2011, 08:22 AM   #11
Curranproducer

Default How do THIS?????

I would like for the media files(not the audio files images) to be plain white with the audio images being black. I do not want the items to change color when I select them(I have the bar function activated for item selection) how do I do this? I would also like for the background that the audio files are in to be white as well. all of the grey makes it very hard for me to "SEE" the precise edit spots for my drum editing. I have been monkeying with this for a few months now and can't get it to color up the way I would like. I think it might be something along the lines of having too many colors in the theme as the same color. I just want a very plain and stripped down look to reaper(I have this set up the same way in nuendo so I am very used to the white on black look in the project window). Thanks in advance for the help!!!

Love and Metal Curran

Curran

Last edited by Curranproducer; 04-22-2011 at 09:01 AM.
Curranproducer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:31 PM   #12
Artbay

are the sticky posts in the "themes" forum still relevant under v4-walter? if not, maybe they should be un-stickied? just a thought...
Old 09-12-2011, 02:04 AM   #13
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artbay View Post
are the sticky posts in the "themes" forum still relevant under v4-walter?
Yes, and this is an important concept worth reiterating: WALTER changes nothing and replaces nothing. Everything is as it has always been, pre-V4 themes still work, but there is a new entirely optional level of supplementary control available through WALTER. Knowing how non-WALTER related theming works is as important as it has always been.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:03 PM   #14
daxliniere

Hi WT,

Could you please tell me how to remove this vertical white line (0dB detent), please?

Thanks,
Dax.

Last edited by daxliniere; 05-24-2019 at 12:51 PM.
daxliniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 05:19 PM   #15
daxliniere

Hi again WT,

How about changing the ReaPlugs v4 default fader knob and fader 'track' ('slot', 'guide'?) back to v3?
Which files would I need to replace, please?

Thanks,
Dax.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:11 AM   #16
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxliniere View Post
Could you please tell me how to remove this vertical white line (0dB detent), please?
You can't, it is a fixed tint of 'Mixer sends text: normal' colour set in the .ReaperTheme I'm afraid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxliniere View Post
Hi again WT,

How about changing the ReaPlugs v4 default fader knob and fader 'track' ('slot', 'guide'?) back to v3?
Which files would I need to replace, please?.
In V4 they use the new 'generic' images, so you'd need to copy mcp_volbg and mcp_volthumb (and the tcp ones too) from the V3 theme, rename them 'gen_volbg_horz', 'gen_volthumb_horz' etc and then overwrite them into the V4 theme. The names of the new generic images are at the bottom of the images sdk page.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:52 PM   #17
daxliniere

Quote:
You can't, it is a fixed tint of 'Mixer sends text: normal' colour set in the .ReaperTheme I'm afraid.
That's a shame. The whole reason I wanted to get rid of it is because it's the same colour as the text!
Surely the colour could be defined easily enough. When it's not specifically defined, it could fall back to 'Mixer sends text: normal' colour.

Quote:
In V4 they use the new 'generic' images, so you'd need to copy mcp_volbg and mcp_volthumb (and the tcp ones too) from the V3 theme, rename them 'gen_volbg_horz', 'gen_volthumb_horz' etc and then overwrite them into the V4 theme.
Thanks for that.

Quote:
The names of the new generic images are at the bottom of the images sdk page.
Awesome! I didn't even know that document existed!
Old 09-26-2011, 02:44 AM   #18
daxliniere

Hi again WT,

I replaced those images. What I really liked about the previous skins is the 'inset' section around the fader. When I replaced gen_volbg_horz/vert, it didn't give me those borders.
Any suggestions?

I took at look at the link you gave, but it's simply a long list of names, that unfortunately doesn't give me much of a clue what I'm looking for.
Having said that, I can't see how that document could be improved, I'm sorry.

All the best,
Dax.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:17 AM   #19
daxliniere

Hello again, WT,

How do I change the amount of transparency for the colour around the track name in the mixer? I want to use black in that part of the image, but I want the colour to be ~85% opaque.

I found mcp.label, but that seems not to be the thing I'm looking for.

Help appreciated!

All the best,
Dax.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:11 PM   #20
Argitoth

how do I change the look of the media item? is it item_bg? Edit: ok yes it is
Attached Images
File Type: png media_item.PNG (1.6 KB, 1416 views)

Last edited by Argitoth; 10-09-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Argitoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:34 AM   #21
daxliniere

Hey Argitoth,
The best advice I can give you is to go to Preferences>Appearance>Theme Editor>Theme element finder and switch through the Find Iamge dropbox (with down arrows on keyboard) ensuring that Highlight Selected is enabled.

HTH,
Old 04-09-2012, 12:47 PM   #22
foxbury

Default WT Imperial folder

Dear Mr. WT

I found your Imperial theme on top of "Hall of the fame".
But ..(Allways buts)
I need children in a folder to go some place right as in default theme, because i get used on it. How I can do it. Or you.

Please help

Gratefull Foxbury
foxbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:28 PM   #23
dom and roland

Hey White Tie,

Do you know the answer to this little question please?

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=102041
dom and roland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:41 PM   #24
FermentedDigeridoo

Default Image Restrictions

Hi there,

What are the restrictions on each of the images, where can I find information on what the overridden images can be, and if we want an element to be bigger on the UI, is this possible by exporting the image at a higher resolution?

Thanks.

Edit: Found the resources here: http://www.cockos.com/reaper/sdk/walter/walter.php

Last edited by FermentedDigeridoo; 01-07-2013 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Figured it out
FermentedDigeridoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 11:13 AM   #25
vitalker

Midi note color map:

And screenshot:
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:15 AM   #26
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammararajpoot007 View Post
I have tried to do this and I don't have any change in my theme...Is there new instructions now
Is it that I've written?
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:13 AM   #27
PhayGoat

Default Standard theme

Hi guys, I've been reading through this forum and others on changing my theme but it's all a bit complex for me! All I'm after is the one on the main screen of the Reaper site. I want the regions to be automatically the same colour as the track. At the minute, the midi information changes colour but not the region. Anyone know if you can download the one on the main screen?
PhayGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 11:10 AM   #28
Lokasenna

That's the default V5 theme.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:29 PM   #29
vdubreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
Midi note color map:

And screenshot:
I just realized that THAT is what I want for a theme. The scrawled sharpie marker lettering that doesn't fit in the fader masking tape. And coffee stains on everything. OK. Now I have to learn how to roll it.
vdubreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:57 PM   #30
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubreeze View Post
I just realized that THAT is what I want for a theme. The scrawled sharpie marker lettering that doesn't fit in the fader masking tape. And coffee stains on everything. OK. Now I have to learn how to roll it.
- Find a nice crappy-handwriting font and make it bold
- Edit the panel background to have a masking tape strip on it
- Edit the rtconfig so the textbox for the label is just *slightly* bigger than the size of the tape strip.

Coffee stains... that's a toughie. If you don't need to work with a lot of different layouts, you could just make like twenty layouts that are identical except for different coffee spatters on the panel backgrounds. Make yourself a custom action to assign a random layout to each track and - BOOM - a well-worn and spilled-upon console.
Old 11-29-2015, 03:00 PM   #31
noise_construct

Quote:
If you like you can edit a .reapertheme file with notepad, but you'll find it easier to use the editor included in Reaper at Options > Preferences > Appearance > Theme Editor.
This option is no longer available in Preferences, to access the Theme Editor you need to search for it from the Actions list.
noise_construct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 01:13 AM   #32
Erland1

Default Help with prob a small theme mod thing

Hi,

I'm using the "small" MCP layout (default 5), and Id like to make it look a bit more like the "session" layout. I would like to have the bottom part, the fader background, on the "small" layout drop the lighter grey area (and just be black/charcoal like "session") and also have the M and S buttons black (like in "session" layout). When I simply change the color of mcp_bg in Illustrator to fit - Im still left with a black line around where the lighter grey area used to be. If anybody could take it upon them to let me know the cleanest/easiest way to do this I would much appreciate it. Thanks in advance!
Erland1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 05:11 AM   #33
MIDIMike

Default a little bit of neon in the TCP (fx ENABLED)

Hi, I started reading some WALTER stuff last night, and feel like making some amendments to some amazing themes (I've found several I like, for different reasons, but none I've seen YET visually tell me the state of FX (NB: have to re-checkout Rado et.al)

I'm a bit colour-blind, and using a 1366x768 monitor... I'm very creative, but not a graphic designer!

So it's a bitmap (or 20) I need to edit, and GIMP is a good place to start (or so I've read ^)... sticky re replace color,mask layers

If I'm just changing the icon for a TCP, I can (for example) just find the icon, edit and save, and then reload the theme, right?

I don't wanna break anything... or spend a day testing icon editors!

{digression*} last night it took me about an hour to get close to managing my main screenset how I like (single track visible in mixer, dueling with dockers, pixel-perfect squintathon)... Can WALTER control the mixer panel, to achieve the 'single' track trick

Last edited by MIDIMike; 04-14-2016 at 06:15 AM.
MIDIMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 10:20 AM   #34
Erland1

Default Waltering trouble

Hi all,

so Im trying to make a little theme here (just for fun really, I think the v5 design is great) - problem: ive been using the "small layout" as default...and id like to walter it for my finishing touch...but when i change the number sequence in rtconfig, nothing happens. What could it be? When i make tcp "default" the "mute" button disappears and maybe i cocked it up making new icons?

best
Attached Images
File Type: jpg theming_.JPG (52.1 KB, 795 views)
Erland1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 12:32 AM   #35
Never

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erland1 View Post
Hi all,

so Im trying to make a little theme here (just for fun really, I think the v5 design is great) - problem: ive been using the "small layout" as default...and id like to walter it for my finishing touch...but when i change the number sequence in rtconfig, nothing happens. What could it be? When i make tcp "default" the "mute" button disappears and maybe i cocked it up making new icons?

best
Erland, you might have alot more success dealing with the issue if you
start a new thread for it...at least everyone will see it and then
be able to determine if they can help. I would help but I am not the best
with the new composition mode v5 uses. HOWT, the creator of this theme
has posted a page on it's usage though maybe you are or aren't privy to...

http://www.houseofwhitetie.com/reape...dit_def_5.html

Oh and I am an idiot I thought I saw the date on your post as 8/16 not 6/16
sorry my reply is obviously months late lol.
Never is offline   Reply With Quote