Old 09-26-2014, 12:13 PM   #1
Dream Of Sleeping
Human being with feelings

Default Caught Living (me attempting to rock out)

Hi. I usually make acoustic music and whenever I try to do a rock song I usually just fail and give up but I think I'm getting better at making a convincing sounding rock band.

This started off as trying to sound like the White Stripes. I was trying go for a Meg White simple drum sound. Then I think my 90s rock influences came through. The guitar solo I was trying to emulate In Bloom style Kurt Cobain.

Vocally, I'm just way out of practice and just tried to get it passable.

Production advice or any comments would be very much appreciated.

Here is a link to the reverbnation page http://www.reverbnation.com/dreamofs...-caught-living
Dream Of Sleeping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 03:43 PM   #2
TheCaptain

Pretty cool song mate!

Now with the constructive criticism:

1. Vocals louder!

2. Sounds a bit sterile, only a bit, but missing some mic bleed or very subtle room feeling.

3. Drums are quieter than I would normally mix, but they seem to work that way, however, that might change if you push the vox. So, I'm not saying they have to be louder, but they might need to be if you do choose to follow my very sage advice and turn the vocals up.

Definitely on the right road, and a very nice song.
TheCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 05:40 PM   #3
sammydix

Yes, follow the Capt's sage advice and up the vocals--they sound 'shy' at least in the beginning, but they seem to be loud enough later in the song. really like that riff ~1:45. very cool variety of changes and switchups.
sammydix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 01:25 AM   #4
Dream Of Sleeping

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I had trouble with the verse vocals. If I sing them louder, my voice kind of goes thin and it sounds unpleasant, probably because it's so low and I need to practice more in that range. If I just turn them up as they are, no matter what I do I can't get them to blend into the track. They always seem to sound too close up. Even if I put more reverb on them then anything else in the song they still sound like the closest thing in the song. I often have this trouble with vocals.
Old 09-27-2014, 01:31 AM   #5
Jorgen

Only read the titles, like you already.

Okay, listening... was never much into that part of the english scene at the time... but I get the reference. Yeah, this rocks, cool contrasts between parts. Like that soft arpeggio guitar.
Jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 05:22 PM   #6
bobruzzo

Default Great mix

Nice job...guitar sounds sweet. I have only done a handful of "rocked-out" tunes.....I am not that good at it unless it is more of a fusion thing.
bobruzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 12:37 PM   #7
Dream Of Sleeping

Thank you both for listening.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:30 PM   #8
Groeggskalle

I really like it.

Some thoughts if you are interested. I would have let the distorted guitar ring out over the verse-part that begins at 00.20. Also, I think the guitar-part that begins at 01.35 is a bit dry (if that is the right expression.)
Groeggskalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:14 PM   #9
Dream Of Sleeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groeggskalle View Post
I really like it.

Some thoughts if you are interested. I would have let the distorted guitar ring out over the verse-part that begins at 00.20. Also, I think the guitar-part that begins at 01.35 is a bit dry (if that is the right expression.)
Thanks for listening. Yeah, I keep thinking the same thing about the guitar part being a bit dry. I keep meaning to try a bit of delay or something.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:46 AM   #10
barrymk

Heavier than my normal taste but I really like this. Love the guitar and bass tones. The light and shade really make this song work (it's a lost art) puts me in mind of what Boston achieved. Drums and lead vox could come up through the mix a bit more for me,as has been suggested. Tight vocals and great harmonies. 98% there I'd say.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:17 PM   #11
zeekat

This is all around brilliant, like a lost indie rock hit song from the 90s. Sounds warm and very natural for me, agree with Barry on guitar and bass tones, they're beautiful. Yep vocals are a bit quiet but I'm not sure I care about it - it's rather flawless really.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:50 PM   #12
Dream Of Sleeping

I haven't checked this forum in a while, I thought I'd probably had all the opinions I was going to get on this track but I'm glad I checked today. Thanks so much! I'm so pleased you like it!