Old 01-04-2016, 12:30 PM   #1
grayter1
Human being with feelings

Default v5.12pre3 - January 4 2016

v5.12pre3 - January 4 2016
+ FLAC: add support for writing arbitrary bit depths between 16 and 24 bits (encoded as 24-bit)
+ Super8: improve performance with low latencies and long loops
+ VST3: always keep first input bus connected
+ VST3: improve UI feedback for preset/program selection
+ VST3: improve bus-disconnected notifications on stop/reset/channel count change
+ WavPack: add support for writing arbitrary bit depths between 16 and 24 bits (encoded as 24-bit)
Mac Studio M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.6.3 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Kontrol S61 mk3 / Keylab 61 mkII / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection X / UVI Falcon
grayter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 12:49 PM   #2
musicbynumbers

+ FLAC: add support for writing arbitrary bit depths between 16 and 24 bits (encoded as 24-bit)

interesting, thanks! any info on what use this might have? Guess it can be used to optimise file reduction?
Old 01-04-2016, 01:58 PM   #3
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post

interesting, thanks! any info on what use this might have? Guess it can be used to optimise file reduction?
If you record 24 bit from most interfaces, at best the bottom few bits are going to be noise (since no real-world converter really has a noise floor that low). This noise doesn't compress well, so using for example 20-bit mode still keeps a -120dB noise floor, but often makes files 30-40% smaller than the full 24-bit.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 02:08 PM   #4
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
If you record 24 bit from most interfaces, at best the bottom few bits are going to be noise (since no real-world converter really has a noise floor that low). This noise doesn't compress well, so using for example 20-bit mode still keeps a -120dB noise floor, but often makes files 30-40% smaller than the full 24-bit.
Brilliant! That's very useful and a lovely "touch" of genius there, nice bit of thinking!
Old 01-04-2016, 03:19 PM   #5
Dstruct

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayter1 View Post
v5.12pre3 - January 4 2016
+ WavPack: add support for writing arbitrary bit depths between 16 and 24 bits (encoded as 24-bit)
Cool. Can you update FLAC to 1.3.1 and Wavpack to 4.75.2 too?

https://xiph.org/flac/changelog.html
http://wavpack.com/changelog.txt
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 03:53 PM   #6
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstruct View Post
Cool. Can you update FLAC to 1.3.1 and Wavpack to 4.75.2 too?

https://xiph.org/flac/changelog.html
http://wavpack.com/changelog.txt
Hmm it's a pain in the ass unfortunately, and there aren't any significant bugs I can see that need to be addressed (the main WavPack bug i see is one that we worked-around 5 years ago anyway)... so I'll put it off for now.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:07 PM   #7
Dstruct

Ok
Old 01-04-2016, 04:16 PM   #8
Dstruct

In volume fader scaling mode (+ "Default" fader range setting) the volume envelope knob goes from -inf to -15.5dB up to 6.02dB

Can we have 0.0dB as "middle"?
Old 01-04-2016, 04:24 PM   #9
Dstruct

Also

Shouldn't volume fader scaling mode override the envelope range setting automatically too (grey it out) and follow the volume fader range setting?
Old 01-04-2016, 05:19 PM   #10
chucky5p

Quote:
Thanks for this option. I just tried it in Wavpack and it works great Most of the time I use wavpack as my default recording format since it has low CPU overhead and ~ 50% file size reduction, but with this latest option I was able to get even more file size reduction (from ~530kbps with 24/24bit to ~390kbps with 20/24bit on my UAC-2 interface) with no perceived change in sound. BTW Justin, thanks for still supporting Wavpack, I greatly appreciate it

Oh, forgot to say that there is a small GUI bug introduced with the added wavpack bit depth option; it "pushes" the bottom "Do not include markers or regions" and the "Embed project tempo(use with care)" option too low and they are now partially cut-off. (sorry, no time for a screen cap)

Chuck
chucky5p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:28 PM   #11
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:
Great stuff Justin! Love your work. I'm using flac almost exclusively now so this is a major update for me and I dare say many others too.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:55 AM   #12
urednik

Quote:
a bug report - the progress window when rendering items as a new take (24-20bit) is visible only for very short, after one file already got rendered, so now it is useless. Before you could see at least until when the conversion is happening, now it is moreover a wild guess. Very satisfied with this kind of compression. My projects are now very small in filesize. THANKS!
W10 (64) Lenovo E540 - SSD; Lenovo B590; W7 (32), Compaq 610 (2.1Ghz core 2 duo, L2 cache, 2GB RAM); DPA 4018, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MTSC 64, Neumann mk184, AEA Ribbon 88mk, AKG SolidTUBE; Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, recording merely live acoustic music.
urednik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 12:21 PM   #13
lachrimae

Default # before OR removes all results

Another user found this so I'm just reporting:

Click Edit Shortcuts from the Window Screen Sets tab.
The automatically applied filter no longer works "Screenset: Load window set # OR Screenset: Save window set #"

It appears that the # symbol occurring before OR is removing all results.

Looks like the issue started sometime after 5.02pre4 and before 5.05pre13.

btw, if this is the wrong place since it's not related to this pre, just let me know where you prefer this kind of thing for future reference.

Thx
lachrimae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 01:39 PM   #14
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachrimae View Post
Another user found this so I'm just reporting:

Click Edit Shortcuts from the Window Screen Sets tab.
The automatically applied filter no longer works "Screenset: Load window set # OR Screenset: Save window set #"

It appears that the # symbol occurring before OR is removing all results.

Looks like the issue started sometime after 5.02pre4 and before 5.05pre13.

btw, if this is the wrong place since it's not related to this pre, just let me know where you prefer this kind of thing for future reference.

Thx

Thanks, fixing
Old 01-12-2016, 05:47 PM   #15
BenK-msx

are these changes in 5.111? or 5.12pre10 ?

i'm in some sort of wormhole where latest release isn't or is or something as stuff in latest changelogs isn't what we see above.

edit: i figured the Relase .111 was a rename of the .12 pres - obviously not, now installing latest pre from lol. hmm.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:19 PM   #16
moliere

Nah, .111 was a sneaky release to get some bug fixes out that were done in the .12 pres, now it looks like it's back to the .12 pres proper.
moliere is offline   Reply With Quote