Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 01-17-2016, 03:33 PM   #1
jmorel33
Human being with feelings

Default V5.12pre14: massive delay when pressing record in midi

Been working with this version today, and noticed quite a serious lag in between the time I press record and the time it actually sends midi data. Hence the obvious lag for the track RX5 as seen in this screen capture. That's only happening for this track, yet it doesn't have any particular reason that I can see. It then later gets in sync. Great.

Further research reveals that it is more related to when sending MIDI data to my MIDIBOX 4i4o.... Now how can only that unit produce a lag when the MOTU are spot on is random. I didn't have that lag before, and I could even say it used to perform better than the MOTU by about 4 milliseconds. Also there is only reaper using the MIDI, nothing else loaded there. Could it be the MIDI drivers in WIndows 10 that aren't on a high enough priority, or say should be in a "realtime" priority?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reaper lag.jpg (49.6 KB, 351 views)

Last edited by jmorel33; 01-17-2016 at 04:11 PM.
jmorel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 04:19 PM   #2
jmorel33

OK I found a solution. By selecting int MIDI Output "Send clock to this device" as well as "Open device in low latency/low precision mode, I'm actually getting spot on recording now, without adding an offset.
I don't get why you're calling this "low precision" because otherwise I'd call this a high precision option (!?).

Whatever.
Old 01-17-2016, 04:33 PM   #3
jmorel33

It's still bloody messy with the MIDI. The RX5 likes the clock, but a device like the Casio CZ doesn't understand it. The Micron and Casio still lag a heck. RX5, Casio and Micron are all hooked on the MIDIBOX. So there.

I guess the only REAL option is to set a delay before the track actually starts recording.... How is this feasible without playing around with my project?

With more testing, I noticed in fact that the only MIDI out that doesn't lag when I press record is the one in the DELTA 1010, everything else has a serious intro lag of like 50 milliseconds. The Delta 1010's midi is spot on. So that makes everything using USB has an intro lag when pressing record.

Last edited by jmorel33; 01-17-2016 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-17-2016, 05:01 PM   #4
jmorel33

OK, I don't think it's USB related. I've traced from where the recording are from. Here, the TX81Z is hooked to a MOTU MTP AV, the CZ and MICRON and RX5 are all hooked to the MIDIBOX 4i4o. Notice that on the same recording take, the RX5 track has NO LAG. I've also unticked the low latency option for this take.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg midi lag bug.jpg (61.2 KB, 251 views)
Old 01-17-2016, 05:12 PM   #5
jmorel33

It lags when it wants. In this take, everything in the recording intro lags...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lag of hell.jpg (30.8 KB, 244 views)
Old 01-17-2016, 07:25 PM   #6
Dstruct

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorel33 View Post
I don't get why you're calling this "low precision" because otherwise I'd call this a high precision option (!?).
Low LATENCY. Low precision.

Not need this mode yet myself.
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:33 PM   #7
jmorel33

Can't believe I'm the only one reporting this. It looks like some buffer issue, or something corrupting in the MIDI buffer chain somewhere.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:38 AM   #8
LugNut

Hi,

Does this always happen w the midi box only?
LugNut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 06:06 PM   #9
jmorel33

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugNut View Post
Hi,

Does this always happen w the midi box only?
At first I was thinking that might be a USB / computer issue. Then I noticed I can get this "record intro" delay either using the MOTU MTP AV USB or the MIDIBOX USB or the Delta 1010 midi out (non usb). So really I have no clue, it very random. Sometimes one track has the delay, other times all of them...