Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 07-26-2014, 07:30 AM   #1
ktothe9
Human being with feelings

Default Bedroom sort-of-post-rock - noob mix requesting advice

Hey guys,

I have this song which I've recorded completely in the box. I know it doesn't sound awesome, but I can't really pinpoint its weaknesses due to my lack of expertise with mixing.

The bass is just a pitchshifted guitar, but I'm going to re-record the bass parts as soon a I get my hands on a real bass.

Software used :
Reaper
Guitar rig 5, le pou plugins
Addictive drums
TAL Noisemaker
dblue glitch

Gear:
Scarlett Studio (monitoring done with the bundled headphones)
Ibanez S320
Korg Nanopad

Some pointers for a better mix would be hugely appreciated. This is would also be the first time I get feedback from people who actually know what they are doing.

https://soundcloud.com/filmul-unei-z.../apopheniamix2- fixed, sorry about that.

Last edited by ktothe9; 07-26-2014 at 08:01 AM. Reason: fixed, sorry about that.
ktothe9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:56 AM   #2
Strange Ways

Double check the link...it's taking me to a dead end page.
Strange Ways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:27 AM   #3
EpicSounds

I'm a big fan of post-rock and make some of it myself so I'm checking this out.

The song starts out well. The drums come in and immediately I can tell they are Addictive Drums. Work on making your own unique drum sound by layering the snare drum with multiple sample sets.
The drum groove also doesn't lock in with the guitars and fake bass. By 1:40 it all falls apart and I turned it off.

It's a decent songwriting demo. Work on the performances and tones. Is there a particular feeling or emotion to convey in this song? How does it make you feel? What can you do to enhance that? What is detracting from that?

Do what you can to make it not sound like you're using presets.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:12 AM   #4
ktothe9

Thanks for the advice. You're saying that the snare is the dead giveaway in regards to making the drum set sound fake (and not as much the other kit pieces). I'm definitely going to try and work on that.

I too feel like the part in the intro when the drums and the bass kick is the shittiest thing in the whole track, and I feel bad about it making you turn it off. It gets better from there on. (or at least that's what I think)

*cough*listen to the rest of the song*cough*
Old 07-26-2014, 04:11 PM   #5
TheCaptain

I like the composition and I think it sounds pretty decent. The only thing I would complain about is that I find the timing gets a bit sloppy as the song goes on. Not terrible, but if it was tightened up a bit I think the track would seem a lot more dramatic.

You're definitely going down a good path!
TheCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:04 AM   #6
ktothe9

Thank you for the input. I'll probably re-record most parts as soon as I get rid of the +1 old year strings on my Ibby.

I'm going to stick to the grid more, as my experiments with moving the drum hits around it to sound more drummer-like come off as sloppy.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:10 AM   #7
Mink99

As sb else said before, the drums are not as supportive to the song (excellent songwriting btw) as they could be.

The shuffling breaks the rhythmic flow, the drums are too much in the foreground the brass is too noisy and the snare too metallic. All of course IMHO .

Do not get me wrong, I really enjoyed this piece of music and I am eagerly awaiting the next version .
Mink99 is offline   Reply With Quote