Old 08-08-2016, 06:02 PM   #1
blinkworth
Human being with feelings

Default ble midi bluetooth windows

Hi

I was wondering if reaper can natively 'see'midi bluetooth ... windows 10 just updated to match the apple bluetooth midi standard, I understand, and I am thinking about getting an apple bluetooth midi enabled controller ... will I need a separate windows driver, or will reaper pick up the bluetooth midi port, like it does with my usb midi devices?
blinkworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:53 AM   #2
prezbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkworth View Post
Hi

I was wondering if reaper can natively 'see'midi bluetooth ... windows 10 just updated to match the apple bluetooth midi standard, I understand, and I am thinking about getting an apple bluetooth midi enabled controller ... will I need a separate windows driver, or will reaper pick up the bluetooth midi port, like it does with my usb midi devices?
If it's a MIDI device - or reports itself as a MIDI device- Reaper should see it.
prezbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:21 PM   #3
blinkworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by prezbass View Post
If it's a MIDI device - or reports itself as a MIDI device- Reaper should see it.
well maybe I shall rephrase .... does the new windows 10 anniversary update ble driver enumerate "apple-spec" midi services as a midi device that reaper can see? Or perhaps, technically more correctly ...does the driver open a midi port for the "apple-spec" midi ble characteristic that reaper can see and use?
Old 08-09-2016, 05:32 PM   #4
prezbass

Quote:
well maybe I shall rephrase .... does the new windows 10 anniversary update ble driver enumerate "apple-spec" midi services as a midi device that reaper can see? Or perhaps, technically more correctly ...does the driver open a midi port for the "apple-spec" midi ble characteristic that reaper can see and use?
Those are really good questions, but not Reaper specific. This would be more a question about Windows in general. Bottom line for Reaper is that if a device reports itself to the OS as a MIDI device, Reaper should be able to see and use it. It remains to be seen how fully functional inside Reaper it will end up being.

BUT- since I do have something to do with Microsoft in my day job, I might be able to find this out specifically. I'll ask around and see what I can come up with. My *guess* is that the OS will see it as a normal MIDI device, since MSFT is going to great lengths these days to be supportive of media creation like audio and video, and MIDI is definitely part of the thrust in that direction.
Old 08-09-2016, 07:20 PM   #5
blinkworth

Thanks ... I appreciate you taking the time to answer and think about my questions.
Old 08-09-2016, 07:41 PM   #6
prezbass

Quote:
Thanks ... I appreciate you taking the time to answer and think about my questions.
You betcha! That's one of the things that is so pickin' great about the Reaper community- everyone helps.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:30 AM   #7
prezbass

Just wanted to update this thread- I've made inquiries about this at work, and now have a resource to ask specific questions of. And, I have asked if MIDI over Bluetooth is going to be reported as a normal device or if there's going to need to be some kind of specialized accommodation made.

As soon as I get an answer, I'll be sure to post it here.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:30 PM   #8
prezbass

I got answers!

Basically, it comes down to this- while Windows Anniversary Update does include MIDI over Bluetooth, incorporating it into any DAW is a little bit of a chore at the moment. I have contacts in the Windows team that I can share with Justin (and I will see about getting those to him) so that the Windows team can work with him to incorporate this feature into Reaper- they are very desiring of having Reaper be able to use this feature.

TL:dr; Not yet. But soon.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:44 PM   #9
blinkworth

Hey.

Thanks so much for this ... good to know.
Old 10-09-2016, 01:05 PM   #10
augustbering

Hi, I actually just got BLE MIDI working fine under Windows 10, anniversary edition. Here's how it works: https://youtu.be/ncvV9GizCTQ
augustbering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 07:13 PM   #11
fundorin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustbering View Post
Hi, I actually just got BLE MIDI working fine under Windows 10, anniversary edition. Here's how it works: https://youtu.be/ncvV9GizCTQ
I was able to connect my iPad to W10.
I've advertised midi service in ThumbJam.
CSR bluetooth stack (from BT adapter's manufacturer) couldn't see iPad, so I've uninstalled it and used Microsoft stack instead.
iPad is listed in connected devices but cannot be seen in Reaper's midi devices section.
Device's icon in bluetooth manager is a screen with play button, while yours is a keyboard with mouse.
Are there any extra steps that I need to make, so my iPad will appear in Reaper as a midi device?

P.S. Device icon - https://i.imgur.com/4eXrRDK.png
fundorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 10:50 PM   #12
Kadmium

Windows doesn't report Bluetooth MIDI devices to the same interface that DAWs use. They have a new interface, called UWP MIDI, which is part of the Windows Store / "Metro" / Universal Windows family of technologies. You can use this interface to interact with Bluetooth MIDI devices, but Reaper doesn't use this interface.

One thing you can do is create a loopback device (with LoopMIDI / RTPMidi / LoopBe), find an app that does use the new interface (there's one on the Windows Store called MIDICables) and connect the Bluetooth device to the loopback device. From there, get Reaper to listen to the loopback device.

Alternatively, you can use the Korg BLE-MIDI drivers.
Kadmium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 05:08 PM   #13
fundorin
Banned

Could you specify, how to use korg drivers, please. I've installed them and iPad is connected. What's the next step to be able to send midi notes to vst in host?
fundorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 09:16 PM   #14
Kadmium

My mistake, I was under the impression that the Korg drivers would simply create regular MIDI devices for Bluetooth MIDI connections. Turns out this only happens for Korg devices; sorry about that.
Kadmium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 01:46 AM   #15
potentstudios

Default MIDIberry Works Great

Just follow these steps: http://newbodyfresher.linclip.com/how-to-use-with-daw

I currently have my FCB1010 foot controller connected via the MD-BT01 Yamaha Bluetooth MIDI device.
potentstudios is offline   Reply With Quote