Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-01-2012, 12:54 PM   #1
ddubbz1979
Human being with feelings

Default Computers Requirements for Reaper with VSTs

New to the forum so also please consider this an introduction. I'm happy to be a part of the community and would like to offer gratitude to those who contribute their knowledge so that hobby guys and musicians like myself can get past the damn startup screen. I'm not completely new to recording but my resume is short.

I've used Cubase and Adobe Audition (CEP) with good results to get my band demo started. After running into computer problems with a new recording setup at my new home, I found Reaper. I heard it was a small footprint on cpu and could run on about anything. After looking it up I was pleased to find it is also just amazing.

That being said i'm a week into my trial and haven't got to give it a go. Tried two of my computers one running xp and one with Windows 7. Both are about 6-7 years old single core processors 1.6ghz and 2 mb ram. Added RAM to both and spent 2 days researching the best setups. The XP computer is just useless. Loud white noise a few seconds into tracking. No latency issues. The Windows 7 computer is doing a lot better but a few pops, cracks, and hang ups is driving me crazy. And when I introduce a speaker cab ir on reaVerb output to a track bus I get latency.

Am I computer poor or is it something in the setup? I'm ready to buy a new computer if that's the problem. Could someone share their computer specs if they're having no issues. All I'm trying to accomplish is record a few guitar tracks per project with a couple or three VSTs dropped in so I can send them to my bass player's studio for mixing with bass and drums tracks there waiting on me. I am on a budget but for $400-$500 I can buy a quad core system with a fast hard drive if that will fix my issues. Just looking for a little direction here. Thanks in advance for any help. This software looks like its gonna be killer. Just wish I could finish a project in it.

Here's what i'm running:

Laney TT50H head record out
to Lexicon USB interface
Lexicon and/or ASIO4all drivers
recording 24 bit mono

Oh and it would be a real plus to record vocal tracks while monitoring in the headphones.
ddubbz1979 is offline   Reply With Quote