Old 04-29-2012, 01:48 PM   #1
bharris
Human being with feelings

Default Waves Recommendations?

Hi Everyone,

I have a $100 Waves gift certificate - any recommendations about what bundle would give me the most bang for the buck? I was thinking about the Power Pack + GTR3 for $255 (it says it is still valid on the website). I don't currently have any Waves plugins and have heard a lot of good things about them. I was also considering the Signature Bass and Drum collection - any thoughts on the Signature series in general - are these just a gimmick, and am I better off with individual compressors/eq's etc.? Thanks in advance for your help.
bharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:55 PM   #2
Mercado_Negro

I can only speak for the CLA compressors bundle, the multiband compressor C6, Kramer Master Tape and H-EQ. I have them and I use them in ALL my projects, no exception. The H-EQ is my go-to equalizer.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:43 PM   #3
bharris

Hi Mercado,

I thought you used Nebula regularly as well. Can you please explain how you would use the Waves plugins in conjunction with Nebula?

Thanks!
Old 04-30-2012, 12:14 AM   #4
Nip

Check out www.wavesuniverse.com and you will get even more bang for your buck. You can use different coupons and stuff through them too.

And since there is a monthly offer wait until tomorrow or you see the May offers.

There is plenty useful, over 30 plugins, in the Gold bundle(GTR3 included). $350 at wu.
http://www.waves.com/content.aspx?id=166
Nip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:08 AM   #5
bharris

Thanks!!

One stupid question - the "Native" version of the Waves plugs includes VST, correct?

Last edited by bharris; 04-30-2012 at 08:27 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:22 AM   #6
kachaloo2002

I was told by waves customer service that it isn't compatible with reaper, so if you're using reaper I'd be careful before buying anything. This was after I'd downloaded the guitar modeling software demo and tho it loaded into vst folder it would not work.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #7
Nip

Quote:
Originally Posted by kachaloo2002 View Post
I was told by waves customer service that it isn't compatible with reaper, so if you're using reaper I'd be careful before buying anything. This was after I'd downloaded the guitar modeling software demo and tho it loaded into vst folder it would not work.
In what sense did it not work?

Never available when scanned by Reaper?
You could load it onto a track?
Or fails when loaded into a track - and something about licensing?
Or just no sound when loaded?

If running 32-bit host(like Reaper, Cubase, Studio One) there is a bug regarding running 32-bit host on x64 Windows 7. Something for Waves to take care of - nothing wrong with these hosts.

Solution for one guy having the licensing problem in Reaper was to switch to x64 Reaper.

Is it the GTR3 that you cannot run?

I have it and can test it tomorrow on Reaper x64 version and see how it goes.
I have tested most of the 35 Waves plugins I bought a month ago and had no issues with Waves v9 and x64 Reaper.

Last edited by Nip; 04-30-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:28 AM   #8
bharris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nip View Post

If running 32-bit host(like Reaper, Cubase, Studio One) there is a bug regarding running 32-bit host on x64 Windows 7. Something for Waves to take care of - nothing wrong with these hosts.

Solution for one guy having the licensing problem in Reaper was to switch to x64 Reaper.

I have tested most of the 35 Waves plugins I bought a month ago and had no issues with Waves v9 and x64 Reaper.
If I install x64 Reaper, can I still run my 32-bit VSTs?
Old 04-30-2012, 12:08 PM   #9
kachaloo2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nip View Post

I was running 64 bit reaper. It is the GTR3 I was trying. If I remember it did fail to load into the reaper vst list and there was a message about licensing. I don't remember if I checked but it's possible that the dll was loaded to x86 Program files instead of 64 bit program files, which might have caused the problem you mention. Sometimes the wizards give you clear options, sometimes they don't.
Anyway I called them (verry nice that you can call) and they may have given me a one size fits all answer that reaper isn't supported rather than try to figure things out (not so nice) . I've successfully loaded a lot of vsts that weren't explicitly supported by reaper with good results, and your experience would seem to indicate that waves plays fine with reaper. Please do follow up with how gtr3 works -- would be greatly appreciated. Also not to hijack thread but any impressions you have of that vst.

thx
Old 04-30-2012, 12:19 PM   #10
kachaloo2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharris View Post
If I install x64 Reaper, can I still run my 32-bit VSTs?
yes you can, and fairly painlessly. The reaper bridge has worked great on everything I've thrown at it. There are quite a few threads about this. The only downside I've encountered is managing the extra windows that pop up, but that's a fairly small thing unless you have tons of effects windows open and I think you can get around that in at least some cases - I fergit xactly how. Anybody remember? It also prolly matters some which cversion of reaper you're using.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:09 PM   #11
bharris

Thanks again . . . picked up the Gold bundle from WavesUniverse for $287 with my voucher!
Old 04-30-2012, 07:23 PM   #12
kachaloo2002

verry nice. The engineer at my favorite studio uses those plugs constantly, and I'll prolly be using gtr3 on a song here directly. The sound from emulations is getting so good, and it's a much better experience for me when tracking guitars to sit in front of monitors rather than in another room with a headphone mix.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:00 AM   #13
Nip

Quote:
Originally Posted by kachaloo2002 View Post
Please do follow up with how gtr3 works -- would be greatly appreciated. Also not to hijack thread but any impressions you have of that vst.

thx
Played around with GTR3 this afternoon, and had no problem whatsoever running it in Reaper x64(have nothing else installed either).

Mostly I played with Amp+2 kabinets, quite useful. Playing with phase and delay on one kabinett were really cool, more like a positioned kabinett that is miked.

When tweaking you own sound there is plenty with levels you have to adjust on more than one place on every change. That part is not so well done, I think.

But plenty presets one can startoff with. Probably something for everyone int here.

I used Izotope Trash mostly for this kind of inhost emulation. Boxmodels and the ability to position two mikes around the kabinet in the stereo field makes it more useful than GTR3 I think.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:48 PM   #14
kachaloo2002

ah . . . I must have screwed up the install somehow. Somehow I did have an active license, but prolly installed something in the wrong program files.

thx for your impressions, appreciate it.