Old 09-07-2017, 08:35 PM   #1
amagalma
Human being with feelings

Default Edit Groups (a la ProTools)

Last edited by amagalma; 11-04-2017 at 06:13 PM.
amagalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:43 AM   #2
X-Raym

I can recognize SpacemanTree Reazard of oz nice GUI... dont forget to credit him if you made a fork!

Also, what is the difference between this script and using the Item Groups in Project Bay ?

Nope, screenshots cannot replace a script doc :P
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 03:54 AM   #3
amagalma

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
I can recognize SpacemanTree Reazard of oz nice GUI... dont forget to credit him if you made a fork!
Of course I will if I end up using his GUI and code in the final script! I have not decided yet exactly how my script is going to work and look like though...

Quote:
Also, what is the difference between this script and using the Item Groups in Project Bay ?
Big difference! Project Bay: manage existing groups, groups are created one by one by the user, an item can belong to only one group (Reaper limitation)
My script: an item can belong to as many groups one wishes(!), groups are created automatically by user defined track groups. Items that are vertically aligned, and belong to the tracks of the currently enabled group, are grouped together. Change of track group = change of grouped items. Exit script = ungroup items

Quote:
Nope, screenshots cannot replace a script doc :P
Hehe :P When I am close to finish it, you'll have the script doc
Old 09-08-2017, 07:29 AM   #4
Klangfarben

Brilliant. This addresses something which I feel is one of Reaper's biggest shortcomings. Looking forward to this!
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 12:13 PM   #5
amagalma

I found some time to 'finish' my script. I had begun to work on a new GUI from scratch using Lokasenna's GUI template, but it would need a lot more time to adapt the working of the rest of the script, if I followed this route.. time which I don't have at the moment, so I decided to share it as it is. It is currently based on Spacemen Tree's "REAzard of Oz", which uses a lot of spk77's code for the GUI. So, special thanks to both of them!

I think I do not need to explain how it works, just left-or-right-click on the buttons and you will understand! :P

Anyway.. Please tell me if you find any bugs!

Yo can find it in ReaPack as:
amagalma_Edit Group Management Utility
Old 11-06-2017, 02:18 AM   #6
Mottemania

Nice. I love your PTlike scripts
Mottemania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 07:40 AM   #7
amagalma

8 actions added to Reapack:
amagalma_Toggle Edit Group x (amagalma_Edit Group Management Utility).lua

Utility updated to 1.1 to support these actions.

Now, simply bind to the actions the keys you wish, and groups are toggled enabled/disabled without having to focus the utility and click on the groups
Old 11-06-2017, 12:16 PM   #8
Mottemania

Somehow I can't deactivate the groups with a click in the manager?!
Old 11-06-2017, 12:34 PM   #9
amagalma

Please, state the steps to reproduce the problem
Old 11-06-2017, 12:39 PM   #10
Mottemania

Well I add two tracks to group one and the groupediting works. I click on the groupname, which should deactivate the group (right?) but any split to any of the tracks separats them, both.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:02 PM   #11
amagalma

A group is enabled when it is light blue in color. When enabled, items that belong to the grouped tracks are grouped vertically. When disabled, they get un-grouped.

Could you provide a licecap of what you are trying to do, so that I see what is the problem? Thanks!
Old 11-06-2017, 01:54 PM   #12
Mottemania

https://imgur.com/a/yLbBz

Well sometimes it works, but lok at the end?!
Old 11-06-2017, 03:04 PM   #13
amagalma

Ok.. I see what you mean..

The way this script works is by grouping vertically items that have the same length and position. So what happens in your gif is: you have two items with the same length and position. You enable Edit Group, and these two get grouped. You split them and they both get split because they are grouped (by the way, native actions for splitting item under mouse do not work for grouped items). Then you disable, split and re-enable the Edit group but the items cannot get grouped because now they have different lengths and starting times..

Go to Reaper Preferences -> Appearance -> Media and check this:

This way, you will be able to see which items are grouped or not.

If you want to split under mouse and not at the edit cursor, the native actions do not work on grouped items. So, either enable "Options: Selecting one grouped item selects group" (41156) select the item first and then split, or better use my action "amagalma_Split under mouse cursor (grouped items too) with selection option.lua".

The process is mimicking Pro Tools edit groups, using Reaper's logic.. They are similar but they are not the same...

Hope this helps
Old 11-06-2017, 03:23 PM   #14
Mottemania

I get it. Thanks!
Old 11-08-2017, 07:23 AM   #15
amagalma

Forget previous version that follows Reaper's way of working and mimicks Pro Tools' Edit Groups!

Real Pro Tools Edit Groups are coming! :

Old 11-08-2017, 09:32 PM   #16
Nantho

Oh Man, this is awesome !!!

Thank you so much, it's going to be a game changer for my workflow !
Nantho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:36 AM   #17
Mottemania

Yeeehaw
Old 11-09-2017, 02:05 AM   #18
Teddy

This is great!
Teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:10 AM   #19
JamesPeters

Thank you for making this!

Is there a way of making the TCP (and MCP) button "latch" (with a right-click perhaps?) such that as you select a different group, it will make all other tracks (not in the newly selected group) disappear from TCP (or MCP) view? (Currently to get this effect it requires you to select the group, then select if it's viewed in TCP/MCP, each time.)
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:29 PM   #20
amagalma

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
Thank you for making this!

Is there a way of making the TCP (and MCP) button "latch" (with a right-click perhaps?) such that as you select a different group, it will make all other tracks (not in the newly selected group) disappear from TCP (or MCP) view? (Currently to get this effect it requires you to select the group, then select if it's viewed in TCP/MCP, each time.)
Nice idea. Done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagalma View Post
Forget previous version that follows Reaper's way of working and mimicks Pro Tools' Edit Groups!

Real Pro Tools Edit Groups are coming! :
Mirroring all changes to all relevant items in the grouped tracks is proving trickier than I thought.. But I won't give up!..
Old 11-10-2017, 09:53 PM   #21
cfillion

Have you considered bundling the 8 Toggle Edit Group X scripts into the Edit Group Management Utility package in ReaPack? It would be much easier to install one complete package rather than having nine partial packages to install. (I don't know if you know this is possible)

(Also "amagalma_" doesn't need to be put in the @description tag. It affects alphabetical sorting and it's redundant with @author. Idem for ".lua" to some extent.)

Last edited by cfillion; 11-10-2017 at 10:07 PM.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 10:28 PM   #22
amagalma

I had no idea! Sorry!

How can I do it?
Old 11-10-2017, 11:20 PM   #23
cfillion

amagalma_Edit Group Management Utility.lua

Code:
-- @description Edit Group Management Utility
-- @version 1.1.1
-- @author amagalma
-- @changelog Moved Toggle Edit Group 1-8 actions into the package
-- @about Utility to mimick ProTools' Edit Groups - based on Spacemen Tree's "REAzard of Oz"
-- @link Forum thread https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=195797
-- @provides
--   [main] .
--   [main] amagalma_Toggle Edit Group (amagalma_Edit Group Management Utility).lua > amagalma_Toggle Edit Group 1 (amagalma_Edit Group Management Utility).lua
--   [main] amagalma_Toggle Edit Group (amagalma_Edit Group Management Utility).lua > amagalma_Toggle Edit Group 2 (amagalma_Edit Group Management Utility).lua
--   [main] amagalma_Toggle Edit Group (amagalma_Edit Group Management Utility).lua > amagalma_Toggle Edit Group 3 (amagalma_Edit Group Management Utility).lua
--   [main] amagalma_Toggle Edit Group (amagalma_Edit Group Management Utility).lua > amagalma_Toggle Edit Group 4 (amagalma_Edit Group Management Utility).lua
--   [main] amagalma_Toggle Edit Group (amagalma_Edit Group Management Utility).lua > amagalma_Toggle Edit Group 5 (amagalma_Edit Group Management Utility).lua
--   [main] amagalma_Toggle Edit Group (amagalma_Edit Group Management Utility).lua > amagalma_Toggle Edit Group 6 (amagalma_Edit Group Management Utility).lua
--   [main] amagalma_Toggle Edit Group (amagalma_Edit Group Management Utility).lua > amagalma_Toggle Edit Group 7 (amagalma_Edit Group Management Utility).lua
--   [main] amagalma_Toggle Edit Group (amagalma_Edit Group Management Utility).lua > amagalma_Toggle Edit Group 8 (amagalma_Edit Group Management Utility).lua
amagalma_Toggle Edit Group (amagalma_Edit Group Management Utility).lua

Code:
-- @noindex

local groupId = ({reaper.get_action_context()})[2]:match('Toggle Edit Group (%d+)')

reaper.SetExtState( "Edit Groups", "Active group", groupId, false )
reaper.defer(function () end )
This way you won't need to upload 8 almost identical Toggle Edit Group files either (but you can if you want: just put @noindex at the top and list them in @provides).

https://github.com/cfillion/reapack-...ation#provides

Last edited by cfillion; 11-10-2017 at 11:33 PM.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 06:52 AM   #24
amagalma

Nice! Thank you!

I will update when I have the new version ready
Old 11-13-2017, 12:45 PM   #25
Mottemania

If I close the window and reopen it, it doesn't open on the same location as I put it in. Any idea? I somehow dream of an small arrow PT-like to enlarge the window, you know?
Old 11-15-2017, 11:48 AM   #26
amagalma

I think I 'll give up.. I have not finished the code yet but in my first tests it seems that the changes that are mirrored to the items of grouped tracks, have a lag, which can result to changes not applied correctly if a change is done very quickly (for example you drag an item very quickly to a new position).

The code needs to be optimized heavily, which I don't know how to do, and even then I am not sure that the problem will go.

If anyone is interested to have a go at improving/finishing my code, I'll be happy to give it.

Till the devs create a native version of the edit groups, I think we will have to live with the "mimick" version..

P.S. I had tried another approach, by writting changes to ExtState and then using custom actions for splitting that would look into ExtState for what to do... didn't turn out well either..

Last edited by amagalma; 11-15-2017 at 11:56 AM.
amagalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 04:36 PM   #27
amagalma

I can't just give up!

After a bit of optimizing, results are quite good:

Old 11-17-2017, 06:40 PM   #28
JamesPeters

Awesome!

Also: I noticed a bit of a glitch with version 1.22. It's about the latching of the TCP and MCP buttons. If one is latched, it'll show/hide tracks as expected for the TCP or MCP when different groups are selected. If both TCP and MCP buttons are latched though, it will show/hide tracks as expected in TCP but generally it won't show/hide tracks as expected in the MCP area. (Sometimes it won't hide tracks in the MCP area, and sometimes it'll show or hide a different group in MCP than it does in TCP.)

Last edited by JamesPeters; 11-17-2017 at 09:38 PM.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:29 PM   #29
Gass n Klang

Is this Thread still alive? I'm very interested in that feature but I cant find Version 1.5
Gass n Klang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 02:09 PM   #30
James HE

unless I'm missing something, in order to have an edit group in REAPER, all you need to do is have grouping enabled and have the option to "select all items in group" enabled.

If you want to go digging in Reapack, you'll find some "item Comp" scripts by me. It can allow items to be part of multiple groups - which is powerful - but breaks things.. lol and in addition to "comps" you can pretty much just set up any number of "edit" groups. It's not meant for that - so it's sort of a hidden mode - and the behaviors do depend on grouping properties. which is up to the user to really suss out.

Unfortunately, there seems to have been some changes to SWS that breaks the code - will take me a while to fix that.

I started some outline of a script where if you clicked on an item that belonged to an "edit group" or "comp group", it would automatically switch the REAPER preferences such that all the items were selected.

Was never sure where to take it next - UI and user input is not easy. and it's not just one script to manage, it's several. It's all scripted in EEL so it's insanely fast even though it does heavy lifting with track chunks in the .rpp itself, and also in the REAPER .ini. I know I can make it work well for me, however i coded the darn thing and know what breaks it.
James HE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 02:19 PM   #31
Gass n Klang

I think you're missing the important fact that reaper only groups items for editing, not whole tracks. So you always have to do a lot of grouping work before editing. As soon as you treat single items different and try to work with grouped items after that, it gets messy very quickly.
E.g. you have your drum takes grouped, but then you want to cut the tom tracks. You disable groups, cut the spill out of all tom tracks and then you have to regroup again because very often the item group broke.
Grouping tracks means, you always edit vertically within the track group. Pro Tools does a good job there...
Gass n Klang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 02:47 PM   #32
James HE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gass n Klang View Post
E.g. you have your drum takes grouped, but then you want to cut the tom tracks. You disable groups, cut the spill out of all tom tracks and then you have to regroup again because very often the item group broke.

You don't have to disable groups. just about every mouse modifier and action has the ability to override grouping while making an edit. For some you may have to create a custom action. Depending on the edit just disabling group selection is enough. Conceptually, it's a lot more powerful than edit groups. In practice, it is a pain. managing all those options and shortcuts and macros is really hard. It's a feature, not a bug. With scripting we can possibly have the best of both worlds. It's a $60 DAW, so you gotta know you (or someone else) are going to have to roll your sleeves up at some point.

Great example here with the toms. Gives me a good use case for testing and scripting behaviors with the comping and grouping scripts I need to get back to work on.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:19 AM   #33
amagalma

I have stopped working on this script months ago.. I remember I had hit at some wall preventing me to continue, but I can't remember what it was.. Maybe some time in the future, I 'll give it a go once again..

James HE, I didn't know about your scripts.. I' ll look for them. Do they work like in Track Editing Groups in Pro Tools?
Old 06-07-2018, 03:32 AM   #34
James HE

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagalma View Post
I have stopped working on this script months ago.. I remember I had hit at some wall preventing me to continue, but I can't remember what it was.. Maybe some time in the future, I 'll give it a go once again..

James HE, I didn't know about your scripts.. I' ll look for them. Do they work like in Track Editing Groups in Pro Tools?
not really at the track level - there is underlying code that I can adapt (I think) to get it working similar to pro tools. I'll have a look at what you were making as well - I totally understand hitting a wall, and then not even remembering what that wall was, lol.

*what the script does do, is allow you to have an item to be part of multiple groups. Was intended just for comping, but I started tacking on features like selection, and also tied my tool to existing grouping a bit. and just saw some possibilities to use the tool for other editing purposes.

Last edited by James HE; 06-07-2018 at 03:49 AM.
Old 06-07-2018, 04:07 AM   #35
amagalma

Quote:
Originally Posted by James HE View Post
there is underlying code that I can adapt (I think) to get it working similar to pro tools.

That would be awesome! I think that the way Pro Tools has it, is the best workflow

Quote:

I'll have a look at what you were making as well - I totally understand hitting a wall, and then not even remembering what that wall was, lol.

What I have up in Reapack is a "mimicking Pro Tools a la Reaper" solution, using Reaper's item grouping. If you want I can send you the code of the "Edit groups a la Pro Tools" solution, for you to inspect.
Old 06-10-2018, 12:23 PM   #36
hopi

I don't see that up in Reapack??????

did you remove it cuz of problems and is James working on some other version of this also?
Old 06-11-2018, 06:47 PM   #37
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
I don't see that up in Reapack??????

did you remove it cuz of problems and is James working on some other version of this also?
"Edit Group Management Utility_amagalma" is the name of the script.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:24 AM   #38
hopi

thanks... that let me find it
Old 10-19-2020, 01:58 PM   #39
KarlGrimmMusic

I started to try making something like this using contextual menus.
Is this still being developed at all?
If so what version is the most recent?
If not is there a different project that people have been using or could I possibly check out the source code? I was really hoping to tie hot keys to the creation of the groups. And possibly create custom actions to also toggle the item grouping.
KarlGrimmMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 08:15 AM   #40
lalo

Hi! Is this wonderful script still developed? Would be very good to get custom colors for group buttons to keep consistency with color coded tracks in that group. Thanks
lalo is offline   Reply With Quote