Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 10-18-2014, 09:50 PM   #1
xethicx
Human being with feelings

Default Can I play guitar into an iPad and record into may DAW?

Another question...

If I was to get a refund for BIAS and put that $200 into an iPad and get BIAS and jamup for iPad is there a way to play guitar into the iPad but somehow hook it up to my daw with good quality?

Also how does playing live with an iPad work?

I am assuming one would get some type of a cord that was headphone to XLR or headphone to 1/4 inch and then go into either the PA system DI box or into the DAW?

Thanks
Old 10-19-2014, 06:38 PM   #2
DVDdoug

There are lots of iOS Audio Interfaces and apps. You'll probably have to record using the iPad and then transfer your files to the computer if you want to use REAPER.

For live use, you can probably just plug the headphone output into the PA system with an appropriate cable/adapter.
DVDdoug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:06 PM   #3
ReaperMadness

When I was at my cottage for most of this past summer, I recorded a ton of stuff into the app, "Multi Track DAW" on my iPod. Back at home now, I transferred, via 'iTunes File Sharing', all the tracks to my PC. Then I inserted the resultant WAV files into their own individual Reaper tracks for further refinement.

I used my Graphite 49 midi keyboard into my iRig Midi interface (http://www.ikmultimedia.com/mobile/products/irigmidi1/ ) into my iPod.

I used SampleTank and recorded in MT DAW.

I've also done the same thing with guitar, using an iRiffport interface ( http://pocketlabworks.com/iRiffPort-Reviews.html ) and playing into Jamup, recording into MT DAW.

Both methods work like a charm and enabled me to capture a lot of pieces that would have otherwise been lost.

New Music: = Mourning Marrs =

Last edited by ReaperMadness; 10-19-2014 at 08:22 PM.
ReaperMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:59 PM   #4
TimOBrien

http://www.macworld.com/article/2459...ng-studio.html
Old 10-19-2014, 09:38 PM   #5
serr

If you already have a computer, I'd just play live and record with that. Reaper is very capable of running live sound (set for imperceptively low latency) + recording any live inputs and post fx to multitrack. I run live sound for full bands with it in addition to it being my live guitar rig. Simultaneously recording all the multitrack the whole time.

The iPad is a great remote control for running your computer in live sound situations but it's a bit anemic for actual processing. Additionally, ios is extremely watered down and basically acts like a governor on the thing with the main goal of extending battery life.

There ARE some very cool looking options starting to come around for tablets but if you already have a computer the iPad will not seem like a very serious option in comparison. It's been a great remote control with remote desktop though (iTeleport in my case).

If you decide to play with the iPad directly, you'd need an iPad DAW app. It would be self contained and you'd transfer your files after recording. The challenge is getting just about any USB device to talk with the iPad. The functionality to connect to a specific USB audio interface needs to be written into the ios DAW app itself. Ios by itself doesn't seem to have the basic ability to put its own pants on.

Last edited by serr; 10-19-2014 at 09:44 PM.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote