Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-25-2011, 08:25 AM   #1
Lee Flier
Human being with feelings

Default Allen & Heath ZED R16 + Reaper - who's doing this?

Hi all,

I recently purchased a A&H ZED R16 and it's a fantastic board. Really flexible and sounds amazing. And it seems to work great with Reaper so far - the MIDI transport and fader controls worked immediately, signal flow options are just awesome, etc.

However, I've run into a few frustrations, being new to this setup, and I thought perhaps some of you folks who've been using this rig for awhile could help speed up the learning curve.

The main problem I'm encountering is that the hardware output sends from Reaper are confusing to me if I'm sending each track out to the R16 to do an analog mix. It doesn't seem that there are any true mono outs - each output appears twice (with the same name) as "ZED R16 CH 3/4" for example. Even stranger, channel 1/2 only appears once while the rest appear twice. I seem to frequently end up routing two tracks to the same channel. Then once I get it straightened out with panning, it doesn't always seem to "stick" that way - I'll open the project again and I have the same problem. It doesn't seem to be consistently right or wrong, either. I don't doubt I'm missing something in the routing sequence, so perhaps you have some ideas... and no doubt I also have some artifacts hanging around from having tried so many different things.

How can I get a consistent and efficient workflow as far as routing my tracks out to individual analog channels on the R16? And how can I alias the input and output names so they're accurate and less confusing? I don't really understand what the double listings mean so it would be pointless to try to alias them at this point.

Also, I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to use one channel as the input for a track and another for the output. I could add a new track, using say channel 1 as the input, but when I tried to send the output from that track to say channel 5 on the board, nothing happened. I had to keep unplugging the mic from one channel and move it to the next to get it to work, which doesn't seem right.

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but those are the two biggest head scratchers for me right now! Killer board, though. I can tell I'll love it once I've had a chance to get more familiar with it.
Lee Flier is offline   Reply With Quote