Old 10-22-2014, 05:41 PM   #1
yks
Human being with feelings

Default How to use sends from Folder Tracks

So I have a folder track set up as the parent of my drumset multitrack. So far so good, but now I want to apply some parallel compression to the drumset and so I made a send on my folder track, going to a compressor on a separate track. But this send is not working.

I realize I can do parallel compression with wet/dry balance, using ReaComp inserted directly on the drumset's folder track, but there are other good reasons why I want to do sends from folder tracks... which must be possible... am I missing something obvious?
yks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:56 PM   #2
moliere

Got a screenshot of your send and track setup? Sounds like it should work fine. It's definitely possible.
moliere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:08 PM   #3
yks

I figured it out... I like putting my FX busses next to the tracks they 'belong' to, but I can't do that beside a track folder because then the FX track is part of that track folder. So I guess I have to live with the FX track coming after all the individual drum tracks.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:14 PM   #4
moliere

Ah yeah, that would cause a feedback loop, because then it would feed into the folder and send back to itself etc..
moliere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:19 PM   #5
serr

Folder tracks are a bit restricted. They're dedicated bus/aux track (just like aux channels in other DAWs). You can simply use generic tracks in Reaper as bus/aux tracks and route them however you want.

So, I would suggest abandoning the folder bus tracks and use normal sends to a track. You can then make sends from a track(s) to multiple bus tracks for parallel processing.

Just understand that that "master/parent" checkbox is a 'shorthand' for "send to the master track". You would uncheck it for tracks you only want to route to another track with sends (unless you also wanted to 'send' to the Reaper master track).

FYI: You can change a preference setting to make new tracks with the master/parent send unchecked by default.

Also check out the routing matrix view. You can route multiple sends to bus tracks in seconds with a quick click and drag down a column. Reroute things to a different bus track in seconds vs. manually bringing up a send on each track one by one.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:27 PM   #6
citizenkeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by yks View Post
I figured it out... I like putting my FX busses next to the tracks they 'belong' to, but I can't do that beside a track folder because then the FX track is part of that track folder. So I guess I have to live with the FX track coming after all the individual drum tracks.
No, that's absolutely the correct way. It's not something you have to "live with," it's proper routing.
citizenkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:47 PM   #7
yks

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkeith View Post
No, that's absolutely the correct way. It's not something you have to "live with," it's proper routing.
There are many ways to do things, and I happen to find it logical to have my FX busses right next to the tracks (or grouped tracks) that they apply to. I am quite familiar with correct routing -- and also with organizing my tracks and track groups to make it easy to find my way around a project that might easily have over 100 tracks, and many FX sends.

So, I probably won't be using track folders much. But it is easy in Reaper to do what I want, in the manner Serr suggested.

Cheers everyone, "problem" sorted.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:22 PM   #8
Jeffsounds

Quote:
So I guess I have to live with the FX track coming after all the individual drum tracks.
You could always compact the drum tracks view in the folder and only open them up when you need them.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:48 AM   #9
Pook2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by moliere View Post
Ah yeah, that would cause a feedback loop, because then it would feed into the folder and send back to itself etc..
Very good to know. Thx!
Pook2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 05:08 AM   #10
citizenkeith

Quote:
There are many ways to do things, and I happen to find it logical to have my FX busses right next to the tracks (or grouped tracks) that they apply to.
Didn't mean to call you out and come off snobbish... but my point remains that a feedback loop isn't the way to go. You're just thinking about Folders incorrectly. no big deal. You'll have to find another way to visually group them, like with Track Colors.

To be fair, "Folder" probably isn't the best name, as it implies an organizational meaning, not a function. It should be "Parent Aux Send" or something.
citizenkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:31 AM   #11
planetnine

VCAs...

>
Old 10-24-2014, 09:30 AM   #12
tgraph

Quote:
There are many ways to do things, and I happen to find it logical to have my FX busses right next to the tracks (or grouped tracks) that they apply to.
I like it like that too. I started to put the FX buss to the left of the folder it applies to... but now I group all busses by the master track.... lots of different ways to do things.
tgraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:10 AM   #13
bigearz

For myself, I use the folder track, but then I route that output to a different output track and disable the master/parent send on the folder track. I do it primarily to organize my tracks for the control surface on mixdown.
bigearz is offline   Reply With Quote