Old 05-21-2010, 03:15 PM   #1
nowisreality1
Human being with feelings

Default GearBox and Reaper

Hey guys, I use the stand-alone version of GearBox with a line 6 UX2 interface. I've been noticing latency issues as well as crackles and pops when I use this application alongside of Reaper. I'm not quite sure what's causing the popping since my Line 6 is at the recommended buffer size. I have tried different sizes for better results but still no luck. Any recommendations? Also, is there a way to use GearBox within Reaper rather than the stand-alone?
nowisreality1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:28 PM   #2
Bod

You can't use the standalone gearbox within Reaper. You will need to pay for Pod Farm to use your UX2 models as a VST plugin.

The clicks and pops may be caused by dodgy drivers on your PC. Use the DPC Latency Checker (http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml) to see if there are any problems in that respect. Using this tool on my own system I found that the NIC driver and the CPU throttling was the root of my dropout problems. The latter required a visit to the BIOS to disable C1E and EIST.
Bod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:39 PM   #3
Mark VH

On a related note, a while back Line6 was offering PodFarm free to Gearbox users. Check your account there, and maybe the "Line 6 Monkey" updater to see if this is still true.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:43 PM   #4
Bod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark VH View Post
On a related note, a while back Line6 was offering PodFarm free to Gearbox users. Check your account there, and maybe the "Line 6 Monkey" updater to see if this is still true.
Yes, that's a good point. If you bought the Pod Studio version of the UX2, then I think you're entitled to a free Pod Farm upgrade.
Bod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:59 PM   #5
jamieskeen

the other guys are right about the podfarm vst, but i used to use the gearbox vst for a long time before pod farm came about. Look in your line 6 program folder and see if you can find the gearbox.dll
jamieskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 04:54 PM   #6
nfpotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bod View Post
You can't use the standalone gearbox within Reaper. You will need to pay for Pod Farm to use your UX2 models as a VST plugin.
Not true at all. I've been doing it for years, with Reaper, Cubase, and others. In fact, if you want Line's Tone Direct ("latency-free") monitoring to work, Gearbox HAS to be open.

OP:

What are the specs on your machine? I have a lot of knowledge with the UX2.

And no, you can't use Gearbox as a plugin, unless you bought it that way, too (yes, that was LAME of Line 6). Pod Farm 1 (which is basically the "new" Gearbox) was offered free for awhile, but don't think it is right now.

-Mitch Hedberg

Last edited by nfpotter; 05-21-2010 at 05:04 PM.
nfpotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:11 PM   #7
nowisreality1

ok, so i can't have GearBox as a plug-in? i'm using windows 7 with a 64 bit operating system.

Last edited by nowisreality1; 05-21-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:35 PM   #8
Bevosss

You could try setting the Gearbox standalone audio driver to Rearoute asio (you may not have it installed, it needs to be checked when you install Reaper).

Then you just set a track in Reaper to record armed, input = Rearoute 1+2...it should work in theory (I probably have the standalone too, I will try and check that). I dont know how you are routing it now, it must be a soundcard default or something.

Pod Farm 2 is definitely worth getting btw.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:38 PM   #9
nfpotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevosss View Post
You could try setting the Gearbox standalone audio driver to Rearoute asio (you may not have it installed, it needs to be checked when you install Reaper).
To OP:

DON'T use the Rearoute ASIO driver. Your Toneport already has a great ASIO driver.

-Mitch Hedberg
Old 05-21-2010, 07:46 PM   #10
nfpotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowisreality1 View Post
i open GearBox to get the tone i want then i open reaper to record. even though im using the stand-alone version i recieve the same tone that was set on GearBox when i hit playback on Reaper. why is this? new to the process. all of my tones are saved on GearBox. I own PodFarm but i'm more familiar with GearBox so i'd like to stick with this application rather than upgrading to PodFarm. i have located the GearBox dll. now what do i do to make it active within Reaper?
I don't understand this post at all.

In Reaper, go to Options>Preferences>Audio>Device. Make sure these are set:

Audio System= ASIO
ASIO Driver= ASIO TonePort UX2
Enable Inputs= checked
First Input= "1: Send 1"
Last Input= "4: Send 4"
Ouput Range= first Output1, last Output2

Let me know if that's all set correctly. Keep in mind that you may need to tweak both Reaper and Line 6 Audio-MIDI Devices to get set up to work at the bit depth, sample rate, and buffer sizes that you want.

-Mitch Hedberg
Old 05-21-2010, 08:23 PM   #11
nowisreality1

the set up is good. what's next?
Old 05-21-2010, 09:41 PM   #12
nfpotter

Originally Posted by nowisreality1
i open GearBox to get the tone i want then i open reaper to record. even though im using the stand-alone version i recieve the same tone that was set on GearBox when i hit playback on Reaper. why is this? new to the process. all of my tones are saved on GearBox. I own PodFarm but i'm more familiar with GearBox so i'd like to stick with this application rather than upgrading to PodFarm. i have located the GearBox dll. now what do i do to make it active within Reaper?

Perhaps you could explain what you said there a little better.

What do you mean by "i recieve the same tone that was set on GearBox when i hit playback on Reaper"? Are you seeing a track recorded? Is there a waveform visible? What do you mean by "receive the same tone"?

-Mitch Hedberg
Old 05-21-2010, 10:02 PM   #13
brainwreck

been a while since i used gearbox. if i remember correctly, you can change the input/output types and record both wet and dry signals simultaneously to reaper. just think of gearbox as an external device going into the toneport's audio inputs. also, i remember that stuff not being exactly intuitive. you definitely don't need the plugin to record though.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:12 PM   #14
nfpotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
been a while since i used gearbox. if i remember correctly, you can change the input/output types and record both wet and dry signals simultaneously to reaper. just think of gearbox as an external device going into the toneport's audio inputs. also, i remember that stuff not being exactly intuitive. you definitely don't need the plugin to record though.
Yes, what you're talking about is recording the "wet" signal from outputs 1-2 to one track, and the 3-4 output "dry" to another track. I do it all the time, every time I record guitar with the UX2. Leaves you lots of kick-ass options to play with later in the mix, by using other amp sim plugins on the "dry" track.

-Mitch Hedberg
Old 05-22-2010, 07:17 AM   #15
Chris_P_Critter

You can use them seperately - I do all the time.

Your ASIO driver is not configured properly if you're getting pops and clicks. Either that, or your PC isn't powerful enough to run both simultaneously.

I record wet signal directly from PODFarm (same thing as Gearbox, just more current) and I simultaneously record a DI - it works fine.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:06 AM   #16
Jazzmaster

Default Enable "sends"

Hello,

On a side note: in the reaper audio configuration you have to specify that the "last" enabled input is 4. otherwise you wil only have "send 1&2...

When you record from "send" 3&4 you will have a "dry" signal...

in gearbox standalone mode you also have to click on send "3&4" (effect chain) and pecify if you want to have amp with no effects or nothing at all...

You will still have the option to record simultaniously from send 1&2 which have the amps and effects on the signal...

Also, to avoid clicks en pops in any low latency audio application (reaper, cubase etc...)with an ditto interface using ASIO your computer should have good "DPC Latency". To check this use this tool:

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

If you have red spikes in this tool, you are basically "screwed". BUT on laptops the culprit is most of the times the wireless card...So disabeling this can give you much better results...But that is not a certainty...

Bad video cards/ drivers/ motherboard chipsets / NIC's can also cause bad DPC latency...I had to flash the bios of my MB to obtain acceptable results...

Hugo

Last edited by Jazzmaster; 05-22-2010 at 09:40 AM.
Jazzmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 09:24 AM   #17
nfpotter

We'll get to the pops and clicks, but 1st I just wanted to help the guy (or gal?) figure out if anything is being "printed".

-Mitch Hedberg
Old 05-22-2010, 09:41 AM   #18
Jazzmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfpotter View Post
We'll get to the pops and clicks, but 1st I just wanted to help the guy (or gal?) figure out if anything is being "printed".
Didn't see you had the send 3&4 thing covered already. Oops
Jazzmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 01:42 PM   #19
nfpotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowisreality1 View Post
a gal to be exact. and everything is working great now. thanks guys!!!
Ha! Glad I was "PC", lol.

Glad to hear it! Have fun!

-Mitch Hedberg