Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 05-22-2010, 09:23 AM   #1
funkster1
Human being with feelings

Default Modern PC's/Power Saving & DAW's

Hi folks,

so I have to reinstall my two Windows partitions because I have messed around with 'em too much.

First thing is, should I use x32 or x64 bit WXP? I have both at my disposal as well as W7 Ultimate x64. From the little I've seen, W7 seems to be a nice Win System, but for audio work I somehow still prefer WinXP. What is your experience with all this guys/gals? How does a DAW ONLY system work with ACPI/Power saving features?
I wanna make really sure this time to obtain the most reliable, stable and speedy performance ootb. I can 'lighten' up XP as well as W7 with nLite/vLite, I have done it a few times already.
My hardware is completely x64 capable, drivers are available. I have separate HDD's for OS, Pagefile, Project files, Samples/VSTi related soundbanks.

I've heard about so many problems re: power saving options/CPU throttling features, that I really don't know how I should go about it.

Please give in as many opinions/experiences as possible.
TIA,

Raphael
Win 10 Pro 21H2|AMD RYZEN 3600|32 GB RAM|NVIDIA GeForce 710 fanless|2x27" Full HD screen|250 GB SSD system|1 TB SSD Samples|1 TB SSD projects|2 TB HDD docs & images|ROLAND Octa-Capture|BCR2000|Nektar LX88+|Maschine Mikro MK3|ZeRO SL MkII|FCB1010|KRK ROKIT 5|
funkster1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:04 AM   #2
joeymusicguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkster1 View Post
Hi folks,

so I have to reinstall my two Windows partitions because I have messed around with 'em too much.

First thing is, should I use x32 or x64 bit WXP? I have both at my disposal as well as W7 Ultimate x64. From the little I've seen, W7 seems to be a nice Win System, but for audio work I somehow still prefer WinXP. What is your experience with all this guys/gals? How does a DAW ONLY system work with ACPI/Power saving features?
I wanna make really sure this time to obtain the most reliable, stable and speedy performance ootb. I can 'lighten' up XP as well as W7 with nLite/vLite, I have done it a few times already.
My hardware is completely x64 capable, drivers are available. I have separate HDD's for OS, Pagefile, Project files, Samples/VSTi related soundbanks.

I've heard about so many problems re: power saving options/CPU throttling features, that I really don't know how I should go about it.

Please give in as many opinions/experiences as possible.
TIA,

Raphael
i think you should check this out...

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml
joeymusicguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 11:06 AM   #3
norbury brook

the thermal throttling is more prevalent on the latest generation of chips and is a bad thing for a DAW so it all needs turning off.

Windows 7 x64 is the best OS for a DAW in 2010, you don't need to do anything to it, it runs just fine here at 1.5 ms latency with my i7 DAW.

MC
norbury brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 11:13 AM   #4
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
.....Windows 7 x64 is the best OS for a DAW in 2010, you don't need to do anything to it, it runs just fine here at 1.5 ms latency with my i7 DAW.

MC
I'll second that. I switched from XP 32 bit with ProTools 8 to Win7 64 bit with REAPER and it is light years ahead (both OS and DAW). Everything just works (Except my MotorMate/Mix which is due to REAPER not having good HUI support....yet).
Old 05-22-2010, 11:48 AM   #5
Bod

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymusicguy View Post

+1 And switch off C1E and EIST in the BIOS if you experience any high readings...
Bod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 12:01 PM   #6
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Switch them even off with low readings (they're apparently leading to strange crashes on some systems).
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 02:07 PM   #7
funkster1

Thanks for the responses so far guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymusicguy View Post

Sure will do.
I guess I can disable C1E, but there's another power saving feature in BIOS which I would like to keep if possible, since this is a multiboot machine and I still make use of the power saving under my *nix systems. The CPU throttling on the other side really drives me nuts. I have only half the power when instead I need the full on gas. But it sure helps keeping the machine a little colder and still saves me quite some energy coast, since the PC is running at least 12-14 hrs. a day, often more.

Besides, disabling C1E on my AMD 790GX board prevents data transfert speed decrease over USB and maybe even SATA II (there are known probs with that).

And how is the software compatibility today with most VSTi's & FX? I know i.e. that my Hypersonic 2 wouldn't even install under W7. And it's one of those VSTi's I wouldn't want to do without. And it was not so cheap as to simply lose it.
I guess I have to simply try and find out the hard way. I'll keep a XP system anyway, for compatibility reasons.
I hope I'll have enough time next week to get rolling again, since I haven't done any audio work in a few months now, and I'm really starting to miss it.

Cheers,

Raphael
Win 10 Pro 21H2|AMD RYZEN 3600|32 GB RAM|NVIDIA GeForce 710 fanless|2x27" Full HD screen|250 GB SSD system|1 TB SSD Samples|1 TB SSD projects|2 TB HDD docs & images|ROLAND Octa-Capture|BCR2000|Nektar LX88+|Maschine Mikro MK3|ZeRO SL MkII|FCB1010|KRK ROKIT 5|
funkster1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:51 PM   #8
the all new rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bod View Post
+1 And switch off C1E and EIST in the BIOS if you experience any high readings...
This fixed the last remaining issue I had been unable to figure out with my DAW. Thank you for posting this--I'd never heard of either setting even though I'm well aware of dpclat.exe.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:36 PM   #9
dub3000

Quote:
+1. switching both of those off made my m-audio delta cards work properly on my i5 rig a while back.
dub3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 11:56 PM   #10
Finnish

Quote:
What are these? My i7-rig is a HP-one, I remember there was no setting for these in BIOS, but I have to check'em out again