Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 09-15-2014, 03:18 PM   #1
Tapehead
Human being with feelings

Default Varied percussion vsti or standalone soft with sequencer?

Basically i don't want something predominantly based around standard rock and pop drum kits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...on_instruments

I don't get on with manual programming so don't want to go that route.
I suppose a standalone software would suit me best.

Something with a lot of inbuilt patterns I can tweak and swap sounds over in because I'm not a percussionist.
Tapehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:58 AM   #2
ivansc

Volko alaturq
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:25 AM   #3
tompad

EZDrummer with Latin Percussion expansion??
Old 09-17-2014, 05:41 AM   #4
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompad View Post
EZDrummer with Latin Percussion expansion??
That's a good place to start. The Twisted Kit EZX has some more "out there" pieces as well, including prepared versions of standard drums, "found objects", and even the sound of clothing and body sounds.

I think it was Addictive Drums that has on orchestral pack, but I've never tried it.

On the free and/or tuned side there's dmihammer which can make fairly convincing xylophones, marimbas, and bell type things.

Definitely interested to see what others might suggest.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:00 AM   #5
Lawrence

http://www.acousticsamples.net/percu...ame=percussion
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:41 AM   #6
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Volko alaturq
That one looks like it has an interesting variety of interesting exotic beats, but unless I'm missing something, isn't it all just standard trap kits?
Old 09-17-2014, 04:48 PM   #7
Tapehead

I tried the volko demo and liked it for it is, the rhythms are very good with nice cymbals - plus it's easy to use. Except as you say ashcat I wish it had far more variety other than the kits. I feel that Volko are definitely missing a trick here by not also offering an expanded library of exotic percussive sounds. It's good but not what I'm after, I appreciate the suggestion though ivansc.

I'll work my way through the other proposals thanks very much for them.

In the meantime here's a little lounge percussion. MTV - eat your heart out. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5owZr9vP7c
Old 09-17-2014, 05:14 PM   #8
dea-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapehead View Post
In the meantime here's a little lounge percussion. MTV - eat your heart out. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5owZr9vP7c
Boy! When she drops that robe.......WOW!
Old 09-19-2014, 01:11 PM   #9
Tapehead

I've downloaded ezdrummer demo, now what please? I can't find any inbuilt sequenced
patterns such as in volko alaturk. Likewise with dmihammer - no patterns.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:45 PM   #10
ashcat_lt

IDK about the demo version of EZD, but the full version comes with "Grooves", and I can't imagine that they left that out since it's one of the features they're really trying to push with EZD2. I'd say RTFM on that one. Realize that the stock drum kit is not really what we recommended, but rather a couple of the EZXs which come with more varied percussion sounds as well as a number of less standard grooves.

dmihammer doesn't come with patterns, but you can feed any midi into it that you want. Use the EZD grooves, google around for midi groove or loop files, or program your own...
Old 09-20-2014, 01:19 PM   #11
Tapehead

I did post this in the newcomers section for a good resson. The matchup
between the manual and what I see on my screen is tenuous at best. I can't work it out. Hence my query.

I didn't think there much was much point in downloading the Latina sounds before seeing if I could get on with the basic interface.

I don't have a clue what you men by feeding midi into dmihammer? Where do
I get midi patterns?

Last edited by Tapehead; 09-20-2014 at 01:25 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:29 AM   #12
Tapehead

No help availabke here for ezdrummer?

All I can find is a list of different styles with parts of kit
listed below and a an area to tap. all that does is set a metronome like beat going and then the drum kit image page opens and I have to build a pattern myself.

I'm hopeless at that.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:54 AM   #13
dea-man

Maybe it's time to learn.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:39 PM   #14
tompad

Quote:
No help availabke here for ezdrummer?

All I can find is a list of different styles with parts of kit
listed below and a an area to tap. all that does is set a metronome like beat going and then the drum kit image page opens and I have to build a pattern myself.

I'm hopeless at that.
Which version of EZd do you use??
I have v1, and there you just drag and drop the grooves from EZDwindow to the tracks in DAW....
Old 09-22-2014, 03:45 PM   #15
Tapehead

@dea-man

Maybe it's time to rename this subforum if that is the attitude here?

I could get somewhere with Volko Alaturk because it is based on the old hardware drum machine approach which I was used to in the past. Areturia Spark is similar in that regard but both are just drum kits. I'm new to digital/pc technology and it does not come easy or naturally to me.

In the absence of assistance here I have just found a good guide through google that takes the trouble to explain things step by step.

But what's the point of posting on a newcomer's forum here then if nobody can be arsed to explain anything?

I can handle the Audacity basics O'k but throw in Reaper on top of Ezdrummer
and that is a daunting leap for a newcomer.

Maybe you don't see that clearly however because you are already so immersed in it?

I'm a pensioner I wasn't brought up on this stuff and haven't had anything to do with digital music recording and softwares until recently.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:50 PM   #16
dea-man

Quote:
Maybe it's time to rename this subforum if that is the attitude here?
I sincerely apologize as my answer came off as "curt". I didn't mean it that way.

What I did mean was, in my experience, when exposed to a problem in getting things done, in order to make music, it may serve you well, to learn the basics of constructing your own beat.

My bad, sorry.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:53 PM   #17
dea-man

So, what are you working with? An EZDrummer demo?

Have you gotten things ironed out yet?
Old 09-22-2014, 03:56 PM   #18
Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompad View Post
Which version of EZd do you use??
I have v1, and there you just drag and drop the grooves from EZDwindow to the tracks in DAW....
Thanks very much for the reply tompad you posted while I was responding to dea-man.

I've been looking around the forum and see that a fair few people have had trouble getting to grips with what you suggest.

I've read a thread on it and still don't understand as yet but I will work on it now that I can refer to that thread and the ezdrummer guide I found on google.

Ideally I would require something in the Alaturk/ Arturia Spark vein to get started on but none of them seem to have extensive sound libraries.

Part of me is tempted just to revert to a vintage hardware solution if anything had extensive percussion sounds but I travel a lot and can't hunk hardware around and so am biting the bullet in attmepting 'in the box solutions' which do not come easy to me.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:13 PM   #19
Tapehead

Thanks very much dea-man.

I'll move on.

I'm using the latest ezdemo but I wouldn't call finding the grooves getting things ironed out however lol.

But I think I've got enough to be going on with on that from the guides I found.

What I was used to quite a long time ago (around 25yrs) was tweaking the speed of existing patterns on hardware machines in real time and switching the sounds in real time at the press of a pad or button. The sounds I had were limited but I got a fair amount of mileage out of substituting chime sounds for example for a passage in a normal rock beat. So instead of bass drum snare cymbals etc chimes would be hit within the rock pattern

But having done that to death in the past with a limited array of sounds I'd now like a wide variety of percussion instruments to play around with.

My music mainly stemmed from guitar or synth with or without vocals and I'd often randomly apply the tweaked 'drums' on afterwards as the patterns and sounds were manually speeded up or down and sounds interchanged.

At very slow speeds in particular some fascinating "happy outcomes" and timings could
be derived. The bits that didn't work could be edited out later

I don't know if this would be possible in real time with something like ezdrummer though?

I don't want to be manually doing it/playing it myself though. The idea is to transform regimented
into random and see what new patternings/coincidences call'em what you like can be arrived at.

Bit like trying to randomly draw on a sheet of paper - which is an intentional construct (patterning) - and finding out eventually it is impossible to be random because patterns soon begin to emerge. And if they don't the mind will find them because that is the nature of mind.

Rorschach music drops - why bother? because the patternings arrived at aren't necessarily derived from the conscious mind.

Last edited by Tapehead; 09-22-2014 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:20 PM   #20
dea-man

Have you heard of, seen or tried the "idrum" from Izotope. It may fit the bill.

Lots of patterns, all very switchable.

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/...ruments/idrum/
Old 09-23-2014, 12:51 AM   #21
ivansc

Quote:
Ideally I would require something in the Alaturk/ Arturia Spark vein to get started on but none of them seem to have extensive sound libraries.

Most if not all of these types of drum sampler also output thier MIDI data, so you can haul that into Reaper and substitute another sampler for the sounds.
For example: generate a rhythm that you like and save the MIDI into a track in Reaper as normal.
Then insert EZD with the latin perc (I have these too and it works) & move your MIDI hits up and down the piano roll till they line up with a sound you want to use for that specific row of hits.
Once you have this sorted out for the individual sounds, you can then get Reaper to move the rest of the hits on that line to sound the same sample all the way through
Crap explanation but hopefully you'll get the basic idea.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote