Old 10-29-2014, 10:10 AM   #1
Sully617
Human being with feelings

Default New Here: Few Questions

Hey all,

Two things: I'm new here, and the next one is stupid.

I've read here that the evaluation license does not expire by all technical means. I have had the program 2 seperate times, and forgot to unistall it, I know that it is a "do the right thing" kind of senario, but if I hadn't had the time as it stands to truthfully evaluate the liscence after months *technically 370 some odd days, because it seems to go off of my first install* is that a problem? I don't even know where to start in the program really. When it comes down to it, I will buy the license, but I don't have time that I can dedicate to trying the software. (My wife doesn't approve of it...) Suggestions?

I want to get into music production, and I am curious to know a good starting point in the program to do that? I have a NI Mashine Mikro, and a Casio Keyboard, which I imagine would/could work within reaper just as it would in Ableton or FL. Does anyone have suggestions? Is newbieland the place to go? I'm just a noob to this program, and really music production (digitally) all together. I don't get routing or things like that? I know this isn't the place to ask, but I didn't know where to go, and y'all seem super nice, Ive read these forums since I first DL'd Reaper.

Any help would be super awesome!

ALSO: Side note is it possible to make this run/ look like Ableton?

Cheers.
Sully617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:23 AM   #2
bluzkat

#1, Welcome to Reaperville!!

#2, Download the Reaper User Guide here:

http://www.cockos.com/reaper/userguide.php.

#3, Get an all access pass for Groove3 (I believe its $15 per mo.):

http://www.groove3.com/str/reaper-training-videos/ and watch Kenny's Reaper videos, excellent stuff!

Enjoy.

Old 10-29-2014, 12:27 PM   #3
G-Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully617 View Post
I've read here that the evaluation license does not expire by all technical means. I have had the program 2 seperate times, and forgot to unistall it, I know that it is a "do the right thing" kind of senario, but if I hadn't had the time as it stands to truthfully evaluate the liscence after months *technically 370 some odd days, because it seems to go off of my first install* is that a problem? I don't even know where to start in the program really. When it comes down to it, I will buy the license, but I don't have time that I can dedicate to trying the software. (My wife doesn't approve of it...)
Welcome to Reaper!

The idea of a demo is to .. demo the product.
So, if that's what you're doing, then I guess you're not violating he spirit of the demo-periode, even after 60days.
When you then decide if this is for you or not, then it's time to get that license

#2 Make some noise, try the effects, try some vstis, play and have fun.
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 12:39 PM   #4
Fex

Quote:
I know that it is a "do the right thing" kind of senario, but if I hadn't had the time as it stands to truthfully evaluate the liscence after months *technically 370 some odd days, because it seems to go off of my first install* is that a problem?
Not really. Your unlicensed REAPER will never stop working. When you do get really into it, the nag screen will start to drive you nuts, and you'll buy a license.
Quote:
I don't even know where to start in the program really.
Well, what kind of music are you planning to make? What artists are you into?

Google to see if you can download some multitrack recordings you like. Throw the audio into REAPER, and hone your mixing skills a little.
Play with the EQ and other FX that come with REAPER.
Quote:
]I have a NI Mashine Mikro, and a Casio Keyboard, which I imagine would/could work within reaper just as it would in Ableton or FL.
I imagine so. Plug 'em in. Check out;
Options > Preferences > Audio > MIDI Devices
Enable them suckers.

Create a track. Right click the Record Arm button. Select your Casio keyboard as a MIDI input.
Click FX. Type ReaSynth in the filter. Add Reasynth.
Record Arm. Switch record monitoring on. Can you play ReaSynth with your keyboard? It sucks, doesn't it?

Download some good freeware synths. Learn to program basic MIDI.
Quote:
Is newbieland the place to go?
It's as good a place as any. We'll find you there.
Quote:
I don't get routing or things like that?
Worry about it when you want to route something. Routing is easy in REAPER, and we'll talk you through it. Don't bother with the routing matrix, you might never need it.
Quote:
I don't have time that I can dedicate to trying the software. (My wife doesn't approve of it...) Suggestions?
Divorce.

HTH
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote